“Nice stay”

Grand Hotel Karel V Utrecht
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Utrecht
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel two nights with a group, including two children, (7 and 10). The staff was very friendly and helpful. We were traveling with family, including a handicapped person, and they made every effort to help us get around and find what we needed. The children enjoyed playing in the pool area, although it is more or a relaxation pool and rather small. We stayed in the older part of the hotel and found the rooms charming and they had everything we needed. It is ideally located to walk to anywhere in the city, but also has a feel of being off the path off the main areas so it was very quiet. For families with children, I would recommend eating at the many restaurants in the city or on the canals and the dining offered is a little to formal for children.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is said to be the best hotel in Utrecht, and I'm inclined to believe it. From the beginning pretty well everything was the way it should be. The service was very helpful throughout. We stayed in the Roman wing in a room facing the garden, away from the road, and other than in a country inn this was the quietest night I've ever spent. The room was large and well-equipped. The internet connection was gratis. The shower stall was separate from the bath, and the toilet was altogether separate: another plus. A small note of criticism: the bathroom and toilet really should have exhaust fans. We did not have breakfast here, as I had a breakfast meeting in town, but the stated price of 22 Euros struck me as high. All in all, however, our brief stay was very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the garden.
Reviewed June 21, 2013

In retrospect I think I was a little too harsh with my last review of the Karel V - I’ve stayed at this hotel a couple of times since my last review so thought I should provide an update.

To be fair, most of the rooms in the Roman wing are pretty average although I was upgraded to an Executive room in the Roman wing recently and that was much nicer than the standard rooms that I usually get assigned.

I still think the heating/cooling in the rooms needs to be addressed – you can control the air conditioning when it’s too hot but you can’t control the heating when it’s too cold. The rooms should have a thermostat and the temperature should adjust itself accordingly.

The staff are always excellent - very friendly & efficient - hence I’ve changed my review from 3 out of 5 to 4 out of 5 to reflect this.

I also still especially love the food in the brassiere and watching them cook it in the open plan kitchen so even if you’re staying here, definitely have dinner here. I hope to try the main Michelin star restaurant on one of my visits but unfortunately my company won’t cover the cost of that and I don’t wish to eat there alone!

Keep up the good work guys and see you on my next stay.

1  Thank ryanpa_UK
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is the second tine that I have stayed in the hotel on business and I was just as impressed as the first time. This is not the typical chain hotel having once been a Napoleonic hospital. It has several buildings some very old looking and some much newer. All are well equipped and comfortable although don't expect level floors if you have a room in the old main building.
There are 2 Restaurants and a large outside bar/restaurant. We ate in the Brasserie twice and the food on both occasions was really excellent - well presented, well cooked and well served. On the fist evening we arrived after they had stooped serving food (10.00 pm) but as we looked like the tired travellers that we were the staff took pity on us and made a really great beef dish in almost no time at all. I would strongly recommend the outside area when it's a warm evening (assuming that this does happen at some point this summer). Food was not cheap but worth the standard and the service made this good value for money. Staff generally at the hotel were great.

The hotel is right in the centre of the old and picturesque part of the city and less than 5 minutes walk from the canals, shops and the main station. The streets are narrow and mainly traffic free but... watch out for the cycles, they are everywhere and for the unsuspecting non Dutch local it can be a nasty surprise!!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

What I liked about Karel V were the rooms in the main building. Got originally a room next to the main building which I did not like that much. That building looked new, reminded me of a transformed school and had problems with the airconditioning also and the room was too small. We were moved without much problems though and liked the size and decoration of the new room.
I liked the location of Karel V which was in the center of Utrecht but still not noisy, and a big plus was the fact that there was easy parking access. Breakfast was good (but not excellent). All in all, a good hotel, but we probably overpayed for what we got.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Telly2408
Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you are looking for a place to stay and want it to have some history and a certain level of service, you should choose Karel V. It has several buildings. We stayed in the napoleonic one which has spa in it.
It also has a reknown restaurant as well as a brasserie, but we did not make reservations for the latter beforehand and did not get a table.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We needed a place to park for a short one-day visit in Utrecht. The property is well-located for a walk into the tourist area and the parking was very easy/safe. The people were exceptionally friendly and very helpful. The city, unfortunately for us, was awesome and worth more than a one-night stay. The only cons of the hotel was that we got two beds pushed together instead of a queen bed like we requested. We would have asked for another room if we were staying for longer and weren't in such a hurry to explore the city. A bit on the expensive side, but the quality seemed to fit the price point.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple