“Business trip to Utrecht”

Apollo Hotel Utrecht City Centre
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at the Appollo despite being 30 minutes from my worksite. I thought at first that this would be a problem as my initial hotel booking was closer and in a mix up the travel agent rebooked me here. I have to say I was thoroughly surprised. It is right by the center of Utrecht and the mall is close if you need anything. Also, there is a great outdoor market if you have time to explore. The staff at the Apollo are very accommodating and pleasant to talk to. Always offering a smile after a long day. The only issue that I had was the smell of KFC next door, some days intoxicating, some not. I stayed for two weeks and look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to AC room if its hot there.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were traveling with my sister-in-law, so we had two rooms for two nights. What a lovely hotel. Clean and modern, security magnetic door locks, safe in the room, excellent breakfast, and very pleasant, knowledgeable, and helpful staff. On top of that, it was a good bit cheaper than the other hotels certrally located. Speaking of location, it was right in the heart of everything, gobs of restaurants, just off the square, and a couple of "blocks" distance from the canals and all the main activity, and not too far from the "Dom" (cathedral). We couldn't have made a better choice, and we drove in to Utrecht blind, not knowing where we would stay, or even what hotels were there.
My wife and I had had our 38th anniversary just a couple of days earlier, and my wife was very sick - so I bought her a huge bunch of flowers at the market and brought them to the hotel, asking the girls at the front desk for a vase. They promised to find one and put the flowers in our room while we were out to dinner. Turns out they couldn't find a vase so they went out and bought one. (Thank you, Domi!) No charge to me, the hotel needed a vase anyway. Turns out we cut our trip short because my wife was so sick, and instead of driving on to Berlin we re-booked out of Amsterdam (1/2 hour away) and left right from there the next day. But the sweetness and warmth of those young women at the desk left a wonderful feeling with me, and it was a pleasure to give Domi the flowers when we left.
In the course of re-arranging our flights, car return, etc., I needed e-mail confirmations printed out. The front desk had me forward the confirmations to them, and they were happy to print all of them for me without charge.
Utrecht is a very cool and lovely town, and I hope to have the chance to go back. I would definitely book the Apollo Hotel next time.
Baldfellow

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ChicagoBaldy
ApolloHotelUtrecht, General Manager at Apollo Hotel Utrecht City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Many thanks for taking the time to write this great review and I have have passed on your kind words to Domi and the rest of the team. I was delighted that you enjoyed the service we provided .Please do come and visit us again in the near future.
Kind regards,
Tahlita Bon

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel is located right next to the Centraal Station of Utrecht which makes a trip from Amsterdam very convenient. The beautiful "double level" canals in the city are delightful and their are many great spots for a coffee or a cocktail or a simple walk just directly behind the hotel's location. The rooms are perfectly fine. Comfortable and clean. The showers are so strong, amazing!! and the staff was helpful and friendly. Would definitely stay again for the price, fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Awful. Too small room, looks like a college dorm, songle bed. Noisy. Uncomfortable bathroom. 18€ breakfast. 9€ internet. No minibar in the room. No smoking. No alcohol allowed.
149€ + city taxes for 1 night in this tiny single bed room.
Never again.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed here for just 1 night in Aug 2012 while on a business trip. Probably would not stay here again.

Good location for walking to centre bars and restaurants and also walking distance to the train station.

The hotel has a slightly strange layout with rooms in front or rear blocks connected by an underground tunnel. The first room they gave me was in the rear block and to get to it I had to go down a flight of stairs, along the tunnel and then up in the lift! A bit odd but anyway.

The room itself was ok but I thought I was in an oven it was that hot! with no air conditioning I opened the patio doors to the balcony... mistake... the rear block has a courtyard setting with a housing block directly opposite and the heat and noise was just worse!

I would have stepped out onto said balcony to check further but it was made of very old wood strips which didn't look like they would take the weight of my laptop, let alone a 14 stone hunk like me! LOL.

SO I retraced my steps to the reception... I advise taking your sat nav as this is no mean feat! The next room was in the front block on the 6th floor and was with aircon. I have to pay 15 euro extra though... she tried to charge me 50 until she realised it was a language error. The lift to this room was probably a contender for the Guinness book of records "smallest lift in the world" award and probably holds 2/3 people max!

This room was much better and quieter though with a more comfortable bed too. It was still hot initially because the aircon is centrally controlled from reception but it did cool down eventually.

Now I am a "tech geek" as my wife will tell you but even I could not work out how the TV system worked and as the wireless internet is activated via the TV, this was a non starter too. To be honest, I just gave up and went out for a beer.

Unfortunately, when I returned the lift had broken down and I had to walk the 6 flights of stairs back to by room. The stairs are kind of circular and high ceilings mean that this was a pretty unwelcome end to the night, especially after a few beers! They promised me it was being fixed at 8am in the morning which was fine as I would be leaving at 9.

Bathroom a bit old but fine, decor also ok and makes an attempt to be a little bit funky with pop art style images everywhere.

Missed breakfast due to a "user error" with the alarm clock (my fault LOL) so I can't comment on the restaurant I'm afraid.

Lift still wasn't working at 9.15 and this time I had my luggage with me of course.

And lastly, they gave me someone else's 450 euro bill to pay by mistake!

So in summary, it's ok as a bed for the night in a convenient location but I won't be going back and it's not a hotel for a "holiday"

Room Tip: Get a room high up in the front block and also pay the extra for the exec room unless you like sleep...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2012

When your hear the rate of hotel , you think that it could be such a luxery hotel.
But when you go to your room. you feel like you are in a norrow corner.
Your towels are not enough, there is no slippers, if you want to use the wi-fi you have to pay extra also if you want to watch the some channels from digital satalite.
The location is good but utrecht is not a big city so you can walk where you want , it's not necessary that you stay in the center. Don't waste your money .

Room Tip: you can choose a room which you can see the green garden.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This hotel is very convenient in Utrecht City Centre, just outside the shopping mall connected to to the central station. There are many restaurants and bar within 5 minutes walk. The room was fine with tea/coffee facilities, and plenty of water in the shower. I also liked the lounge area where free coffee is available from a good coffee machine, and there are some games and books available to borrow.

Access to many rooms was through a short tunnel and then up lifts the other side. This was a bit strange, but OK.

From the small lobby, room access and other facilities, this hotel did not seem like a typical 4 star hotel - more of a privately run one off hotel, with some nice features to make the stay pleasant. The price I paid was reasonable for this and I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business