“Great Hotel near Amsterdam and Utrecht”
Review of Carlton President

Carlton President
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Utrecht
Reviewed September 2, 2012

A couple of times a year, I have to stay over for a project. Depending on the client, I do not always want the hassle of a city-center hotel. The Carlton President Hotel Utrecht is perfectly located 2 minutes from the highway between Amsterdam and Utrecht. Nice people, great rooms, perfect dinner. You must try the Club Sandwich bij the way. I strongly advise this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
CarltonUtrecht, General Manager at Carlton President, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear mr Van Santen,

Thanks a lot for this very nice review.

I will pass on your compliments about the Club Sandwich to my chef.

Hope to see you back soon at the Carlton President.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occaisions and will try to avoid doing so in the future. The hotel rooms are pretty good for Utrecht but the general attitude of staff and both the food and running of the restaurant needs a lot of improvement. The hotel does nothing to make you feel welcome and a valued guest, more of an inconvenience. My latest meal in the restaurant resulted in me waiting at a table for nearly 20 mintes before the staff noticed me and asked if I wanted a drink. The starter came out half cold (clearly microwaved) and although this was mentioed the waitress dissmissed the comment and I still got charged for the food. Maybe the lack of close competition means this hotel does not try very hard to please it's guests and I will be avoiding this hotel for future business trips to Utrecht.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear mr Andrew D,

First of all I want to express my gratitude towards you for taking the time to write this review.

Thank you for the compliments on our rooms.

I am really sorry that you did not experienced our quality of service how it normally should be.

We always try to exceed the guests expectations. And I feel ashamed that we did not achieve it during you last stay.

As I did not get a remark during on of you earlier stays I can imagine, and I hope, it was a one off experience.

As we constantly train our staff I will also use this review during the next on the job training session.

Dear mr Andrew, I hope you reconsider to stay with us next time you visit Utrecht. I will personally make sure that it will be a stay you will enjoy for the full 100%.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed here with my mum for 3 nights. An impressive hotel - very comfortable, clean room. I'd read some reviews before we went and was interested to see the comments on vegetarian meals. Fed up of feeling like a 2nd class citizen being offered an omelette I was pleased to see that a previous visitor had commented on the vege options and that the response was to offer a decent choice. My experience was the usual omelette and vege pie on the menu, but on asking the waiter if there was anything else he was extremely helpful and I opted for a pasta dish which was delicious. Having been a vegetarian all my life it would be nice to have an actual vegetarian section on the menu so you don't have to ask ..... and please just remove the boring omelette. Good food but too expensive - 2 main meals, 1/2 caraffe house wine and 2 coffees - 66 euros. My only other gripe is that on our return from floriade, I asked the receptionist if our table could be half an hour later as we got back a little later than anticipated (not our fault). Response was "no" as they had later sittings booked. So in the 20 mins we had we showered, changed and plonked ourselves at our table (with wet hair). The restaurant was by no means very busy. Could have been a bit more understanding. The outside area is lovely and sitting out in the evening with a cold beer lounging on the comfy settees - great. Just wanted to express these points because it really is a nice hotel and could be excellent. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear TinkerbellEngland,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review on Tripadvisor.

I will check the front desk about the reservation schedule for the restaurant. Normally it should always be possible to change the dining time.

Great to see that you enjoyed the service and vegetarian meal in our restaurant.

Hopefully I can meet you personally next time you visit the Carlton President.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed here with my husband, my son and his friend for two nights on the hottest weekend the Netherlands has seen since the 1940s apparently! Thank goodness for the air-conditioning!
We were very impressed with the hotel. We found the hotel reception staff to be extremely friendly and helpful and the amenities offered were impressive including a gym, jacuzzi, business centre and a restaurant which looked very good but we didn't actually use. The rooms were large and clean with huge and very comfortable king-size beds. The hotel was a little way out from the centre of Utrecht but we had a car so this was not a problem and the receptionists gave us excellent advice about where to park when we wanted to go to Amsterdam. My son used the bus service into Utrecht from the hotel which was also very convenient.
I thought that the hotel proved excellent value for money and we will certainly stay here again when we visit our son at University here.

Stayed: August 2012
CarltonUtrecht, General Manager at Carlton President, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Dear KathrynEssex52 ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us this very nice review.

We really do appreciate the comments of our distinguished guests.

Hope to meet you in person next time you visit your son in Utrecht.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed August 3, 2012

My daughter and myself stayed here at the end of July. We arrived at 9pm and were virtually left to our own devices. Keys were left on the desk and no porters were available. The room was very clean with all amenities, a nice balcony which was most welcome as the evenings were warm. Unfortunately, our room was sited immediately above the front entrance, which was the designated smoking area! A good size bathroom with bath and shower and an extremely comfortable bed. We ate in the restaurant on the first evening and had a very pleasant meal, perhaps a little expensive but after a day travelling most welcome.

The next day as we had already experienced the restaurant and there wasn't a member of staff insight, so we sat down for breakfast. A very good breakfast but when we were in the middle of eating we were interrupted by a very curt waitress, telling us that we were sitting in the wrong area. We were part of the coach party and had to sit in the back room! Next day breakfast was still OK but we had to forgo Sausage and bacon!

On the other two evenings we caught the bus into Utrecht and had lovely meals whilst sitting by the water. Bus fare was 3 euro return (Mon-Sat) but for some reason 8 euro return on Sunday. When queried we were told it's because the shops are closed on Sundays? Bus stop was a short walk from the hotel and they ran every half an hour.

Overall a most enjoyable trip and the organisation that Shearings coach company put into it was amazing.

Room Tip: Don't have a room situated by the front entrance
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LINDAJP000
CarltonUtrecht, General Manager at Carlton President, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear LINDAJP000,

First of all thank you very much for your review.

Great to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and your had a great time in Utrecht.

Sorry about the curt waitress! I will speak to the manager in charge.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us!

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had a great 3 night stay in this hotel at the end of July 2012. The rooms was clean, of a good size and well appointed, including a kettle and tea and coffee which is not always true of mainland Europe. The bathroom had a bath as well as separate shower cubicle and the towels were massive. Bed also very comfortable, tho the duvet was too hot. As a vegetarian I found the restaurant menu disappointing. I was on my own so didn't feel like getting a taxi to town so would have liked a hot meal after spending one enjoyable day in Amsterdam and another at Floriade, the World Horticultural Expo. Carnivores are offered a 3 course set menu for about 22 Euros but the vegetarian main course choice is an omelette or a vegetable pie - a single course remember! - for one Euro less - not good value and a boring, boring option. Mind you, I am NEVER offered good vegetarian food in hotels and rarely restaurants so I should not have been surprised.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sue T

Dear Sue

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us and complimenting us on your stay.
Very nice to read that you enjoyed your room and its facilities.

Regarding the menu, I am sorry that I did not meet up to your expectations. I informed my head chef. We will make sure that the restaurant staff will offer alternatives vegetarian dishes next to the menu.

Again, thank you very much for the review!

Hope to see you soon back at the Carlton President.

Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed as part of a coach group, on arrival there wasn't much of a meet or greet, just the room keys left on a table. Breakfast was good the first day but the quality wasn't as highly maintained as the first day. Also the breakfast staff are at times are quite curt in regards to where you sit. Our room was large, clean and had good facilities and room keeping was also quite good. The only issues are location and the resturant. Bizarrely, we were told it was unlikely we could eat in the resturant unless we booked but being out on trips means you cannot always say when you will be back. But every evening the resturant was empty, i would think it was good business sense to encourage people to spend money there. Considered with the location most people
Would eat there. But its an easy trip into town on the bus, do not get a taxi! Or walk 10mins down the road towards the petrol station for an amazing chinese.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Jen_zebra

Dear Jen_zebra,

First of all I would like to thank you for the time you took to leave a review on this site.

I have discussed your remarks concerning the breakfast and dinner reservations with my restaurant manager. He assured me that all necessary steps will be taken to improve and avoid this in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again at the Carlton President.