Badhu
  • Breakfast included
$205
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Star Lodge Hotels(Utrecht)(Great Value!)
$85
$161
$124
$119
  • Restaurant
All reviewssilver roomhotel roomsmall hotelpurplebedroombathtvsupermarket
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here one day in July. We reserved the golden room but at check-in it turned out that room was double booked so we were given the white room. Staff gave us a key, waved us to the stairs and that was it. Not much service here because they're to busy running the downstairs restaurant and bar.

The room was nice, clean and looked very stylish but comes with a few impracticalities. For example there's a hairdryer in the bathroom but no power socket! (In fact we had to look very hard in the room to eventually find one (!) extra power socket somewhere hidden away in a corner) The shower is open so the whole bathroom gets wet when taking a shower and it's impossible to put stuff on the sink of bath so we ended up putting our shower gel and shampoo bottles on the floor. And as mentioned in other review we also missed the option for more light than only the mood light, especially in the bathroom. The next morning only one staff member was present so everyone had to wait very long for breakfast and check out.

On a positive note, the rooms are very cosy and the downstairs restaurant is great. Bus #5 to the center and train station of Utrecht stops right in front of the hotel. Would stay here again if they hire someone to run the hotel fulltime and make the rooms a little bit more practical.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bart H
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and liked the hotel. Yes, it's a little quirky, but it's a small hotel and they're trying to be different. The staff are super lovely and friendly. We were gutted that we didn't eat in the restaurant as we have heard from the locals that they do good middle eastern food.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2012

When all other hotels are trying to achieve calm , neutral , crisp white linen type interiors ......this place considers that the weary traveller would like their senses assaulted by a RED room......even the loo, bath, all lighting, with RED satin bedlinen.....my husband thought it looked like a bordello ( and how would he know ?! ). The food was okay though...but I didnt like sleeping in a slippery RED bed.

Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We choose the purple room. As soon as you walk the door you might say "wow" beacause it looks really stylish....but it wasn't practical.
There wasn't enough light, ok the soft light gives a nice atmosphere, but you should have the chace to have more light. It was impossible to put make up on! or even to read!! There is not bed side table.
In the bathroom, there is just a very small sink...with no space to put stuff on such as the toothbrush...ok i get the minimalist style...but an hotel is suppose to be comfortable as well.
I appreciated the nespresso coffe machine with complimentary coffe in the room.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I think that in principle this can be a lovely hotel. The combination of a nice, laid back restaurant and bar with 8 or so 'boutique' rooms, not badly priced, is certainly a promising one.

But please, please, hire someone who knows about running a hotel, and let them show you that merely handing over the key (more on that below) to a guest who paid over € 100 for the privilege is simply not enough. Oh yes, and please add a few lights here and there, as the lack of light seriously hampered my enjoyment (read: unable to operate hifi, struggling to find things, no reading in the bath...).

When trying to locate which room was mine (silly of me, the purple beads on my key fop meant I was in the 'purple room' - if only there was enough light in hallway to know what colour beads they were...), my key fop opened a room, a room that had - wait for it - someone else's belongings in it. Oh dear (yes this could have been so much worse!). When back at the bar/reception, i.o. a 'oh we are so sorry', all I got was a 'really? I don't understand that...'. And that was only one example where a mistake (there were more) could have benefited from an apology.

So why give it 3 stars? Because I think that with the right knowledge and attitude (oh yes, and a little more light) it has huge potential. Nice touches such as the Nescafe machine in the rooms, good bed, free wifi, nice restaurant, quirky touches all help make this a nice place. But the feeling that as a hotel guest you are somewhat of an inconvenience for the staff running the restaurant is poor.

And interestingly, I would have happily shared this input with them direct, if only someone, when I checked out, had said something along the lines of 'and was everything okay?'. But they didn't, and that, I think, summed it all up.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business