“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Toque Toque

Toque Toque
Reserve with
Toque Toque is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #162 of 634 Restaurants in Utrecht
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Neude Janskerkhof en Domplein
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Had dinner on own here whilst waiting for train to the airport. It was 5pm on a Friday night but the place was reasonably busy and kitchen had just opened for dinner. The place was open, clean and tidy but nothing special decor wise although at the back the appeared to make more effort.

The staff were very attentive. Slow at first although I am not sure if there was a change of shift due to the time as the chap who seated me was not the one who served me. Overall the service was relaxed fitting with the brasserie feel of the place.

Dinner menu was set three courses for 24 euros. A challenge I thought. The choices were slightly restricted but interesting taste combinations which for the price I thought was interesting.

I started with the pumpkin with cumin and curry soup topped with walnut oil. I am not sure what the walnut oil added to the soup apart from making it taste greasy. Balances of spices was good although soup would be better with a bit more body ( but what do you expect for the price?). Very fresh bread on the side was very welcome.

For main I choose the baked rolls of plaice with prawns. Excellent dish with well cooked fresh vegetables. Tasty filling and with a bit of a twist.

The desert was slight disappointment. Very good thin pancakes with figs but could find no evidence of candied fruit.

Washed down with a reasonable bottle of Pinot Grigio which could have been shared ( I was thirsty) the total came to 48 euros which I thought was good value for such good quality.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Oh well. We really do not appreciate the approach the Dutch people have to lunch. So we usually are disappointed when we have to have in let's say "typical" Dutch restaurants. Toque Toque has a nice atmosphere. Since the variety of dishes served for lunch is rather limited (at least for our taste), my husband had the cheeseburger, which he found a bit lacking in taste. I am a vegetarian and I had goat's cheese on a salad and bread, accompanied by sweet roasted nuts and canned apricots. I honestly found the nuts and apricots a bit too sweet, so I had them as desert. Not many vegetarian dishes for lunch. Service was good and friendly.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We ended up there by mistake as we thought we were seating along the canal at the table of the Thai restaurant next door. We decided to give it a go anyway. They had the menu in English, the waitress was very nice. The food was good. The mixed platter (croquettes, fried spicy cheese rolls...) was good to share for 4 people. My mum had the goat cheese salad, which had a pretty big portion of cheese. The gambas pasta was good but could use a bit more gambas. My dad and my partner had some meat main courses and were pretty satisfied with it.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Eating late here one evening, the kitchen was kind enough to cook us a meal despite it being at service end. We had what I can describe as a kind of mixed grill. the meats were cooked well, were very juicy and tasted fabulous. the waiting staff were very nice and helpful. It was a great spot for a bite to eat and watch the world pass by.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Toque Toque is a wonderful place to eat a leisurely meal. We had a late lunch there one day and an evening meal on another. We learned that when the Dutch go to a restaurant, they go to eat at a leisurely pace, they do not rush you at all. Very unlike the places in the USA. The wait staff are very helpful to non-dutch speakers while trying to navigate the dutch menu, and come when you indicate you would like them. The wine they offer is really good, the food is delicious, the coffee is delightful as were the desserts. The location is across the brick walk to the main canal where you can see the walkers try to navigate around the bicyclists. It is a few blocks from the Dom Tower and a few blocks from the Utrecht Centraal train station (and the shopping center, the Catherijn Hoog)