“No bathroom door for the disabled”

Court Hotel City Centre Utrecht
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
London
“No bathroom door for the disabled”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed in The Court Hotel for three nights. I am in a wheelchair, and so we booked the accessible room. The room was lovely, the hotel is beautifully located, and the staff were friendly, but there was no door on the bathroom.

This is a big thing.

I love my wife, and we are very close, but there are just some things that a man and woman don't need to know about one another, and in my opinion, what I do in the bathroom is one of those things.My wife was also very self conscious about this arrangement, especially as there is a mirror in the room that is unfortunately placed in just the right place for whoever is sitting on the toilet to be completely visible to anyone lying on the bed.

I addressed this issue with the staff when we went out after getting to our room, and was told that neither of the wheelchair access rooms in the hotel have doors on the bathroom, because to do so would block access to the bathroom for a person in a wheelchair.

I took the manager back up to the room and showed her that actually, this would be possible if they had the door swing into the bathroom (or a sliding door as the manager suggested herself). I then asked if they could look into installing a door during our three day stay, and got a fairly negative response.

I used to be a carpenter, and I have hung a lot of doors in my life, and it's about an hour job if you do it really slowly. Since we were staying there for three days and it was a Tuesday, it seemed reasonable to me that they could find someone to hang a door so that my wife and I could have a little privacy when we were using the bathroom.

They did not install a door. We did get a slight reduction on the room rates when I addressed the issue at check out, but that's not what we wanted, and we would have found somewhere else to stay in the lovely town of Utrecht if we had known that we wouldn't have even the most basic level of privacy.

I liked the hotel, and the staff were friendly (even if the manager neglected to take care of an important issue for two of her guests), but I would not recommend this hotel to anyone in a wheelchair or who otherwise needs to stay in the accessible rooms.

Or at least if you do, ask them if they've installed that bathroom door yet.

Room Tip: Not good for disabled travelers.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Almere, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 10, 2013

we stayed at this hotel in the suite which is situated on the Channel so not connected to the hotel, but walking distance. It is a nice getaway and gives more privacy. The bed was comfortable. We missed 2 bottles of water which nowadays is a amenity which should come with the room. Also if you would like to go to the toilet you have no privacy as you practically see everything from the bedroom what is happening in the bathroom. certain things I trust people do not mind, but other things you prefer not to share. However this could be fixed easily and then I would say it is a very very nice room. Towels were worn, this should have been replaced some time ago. There is definitely room for improvement, but for the price and the location it is acceptable.

Room Tip: Consider the suite or a room in the hotel, but backside to have less noise form the street
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed June 19, 2013

the hotel had a very friendly feel, was clean and nicely decorated. few negative points: beds not very comfortable (pillows too hard) and the bathroom was a bit claustrophobic. staff was very helpful though, however they did not say beforehand how much breakfast was.

• Stayed June 2013
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Typical quirky Dutch hotel which is mostly nice but may have some things you need to overlook. Our room was on the non-street facing side, which was nice as there was no noise. Unfortunately though there was no insulation to prevent the hall noise (voices, doors closing). The room was big, had tea/coffee provisions, good aircon, good wifi, and a good bed. The duvet is a bit heavy for warm temps which means you have to have the aircon on higher than environmentally preferred. The carpeting is worn, pieced together, and spotted and that along with the hall noise were our only complaints.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
germany
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Spent a (very cold) weekend in May in this hotel. Unfortenately, nobody from the hotel staff could handle the heating system, so the room was quite cold. Which was a shame really, because all of the staff otherwise bend backwards to make us feel comfortable. Okay, so the bathroom and the mattress are quite worn. In fact, there are other things in need of a make over. But the location is perfect; although we had a room to the front, we didn' t hear anything. The restaurant & brasserie are a bit noisy, - just shows you how good they are! Their packages (Shop til you drop and Trajectum lumen) are value for money (otherwise it's quite costly) but you can't book them from their website.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed there earlier this week. Hotel looked Ok form the outside, but the reception had a feeling of a hostel and the stairway smelled of pee.
However once in the room I was pleasantly surprised. Very modern, clean, light and airy. I was on the 3rd floor facing the street but had no issue with sound or noise. The staff were also very friendly.
The breakfast area was bar and in the day light that also looked very tatty. Food was OK though

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed two nights on business. Very hard to sleep. My room was right on the road. Cobbled street meant cars and cycles make a lot of noise. Young people cycling along in the early hours shouted at each other to make themselves heard. Then a supermarket delivery opposite using trollies on the cobbles at 4.30 am meant the staff and drivers had to shout also. So, very little sleep either night. My room was tatty but I guess fairly clean though the lampshade and a bathroom fitting were broken. Breakfast was poor. On the plus side, the staff are helpful and pleasant and I ate in the attached brasserie one evening - the meal then was really very good.

Room Tip: Do not sleep at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Marleen S, General Manager at Court Hotel City Centre Utrecht, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs..

We would first of all like to thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We highly appreciate feedback from our guests as we want to continiously develop our products and services. Of course we are disappointed that your stay in our hotel did not meet our standards. As you can imagine we strive for 100% guest satisfaction.
Nevertheless, we are not able to take back this negative experience, we therfore, would like to invite you some other time to make sure you will exeperience what our hotel has to offer.

Please do contact us, when staying in Utrecht next time.

Kind Regards,.