“High standard hotel within city centre and near museums”

Court Hotel City Centre Utrecht
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Two of us with a baby stayed at the Court Hotel recently in a deluxe room (which they insist you must have with a baby), paying 145 Euro a night B&B plus 5% tax.

Our room was impressive - very tall ceilings, white shiny wardrobe, coffee maker (Senseo pod type) plus kettle and looked out over the rear (some grassed roofs and offices maybe 20m away so the room was reasonably light). The only downside was it was up a small flight of stairs which wasn't ideal for a buggy (one of the staff when coming to our room realised this and offered to move us to a level floor, e.g. first, but it wasn't really worth changing).

The bathroom was a wetroom with just a shower. I don't know why hotels are so keen on wetrooms these days but this was clean and mould-free and the shower area didn't spray too far (it has a separating glass screen).

The wifi worked fine in the room (second floor).

The hotel has that whole Malmaison thing going on - lots of black and dark purple carpets etc. We enjoyed breakfast (included in the online deluxe room rate) which included lots of meats, cheeses and fresh fruits. We also ate in the restaurant one evening which served good food at a expected prices (15-20 Euros for a main) and had good service.

All the staff were friendly and spoke the usual Dutch impeccable English!

The hotel's location is right near the Dom (you hear the bells at night, though it didn't disturb us) so it is easy to walk to all the tourist areas.

I've rated the hotel as Very Good as you are paying top rates (probably within the most expensive 5 in Utrecht) so you expect this kind of high standard.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put on the second floor if you have a baby buggy
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MoreCheeseGrommit

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Great location in the historic centre of Utrecht. Rooms very comfortable & spacious. I had a street facing room, which I'd recommend, it was nice & light. Despite roadworks outside, the room was very quiet due to double glazing. I had trouble with the air conditioning control, could never get it at the right temperature. A staff member helped out which corrected it for a while.

I arrived early & was let in when room was ready in the morning, which was great after long flight.

Bathroom trendy with nice shower, but dark and not well lit. Couldn't see to put make up on! Had to use mirror in the main room. Also bathroom sink area is too small for extra toiletries etc.

Brasserie had a really nice vibe though service sometimes slow. I ate the breakfast most days &
agree with the reviewer who said that most European hotels include breakfast in tariff & this was a little expensive at 12.50 euros. It was nice enough, but things ran out & if you weren't there by
a certain time, they weren't replenished. Other meals variable, but generally good & good value.

One little gripe- I'd like to have hired a bicycle to cycle to the Rietveld Schroeder house, but the hotel charged 12euros a day, with no half day rate. You can hire bikes elsewhere for 8 euros a day so couldn't see why the price difference.

Room Tip: External 2nd or 3rd floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank emstar3
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Overall, I would recommend this place.

The location is central and historic. Rooms are modern and larger than I've grown to expect from a European hotel. The service is very friendly and obliging. Housekeeping was slightly slipshod: one day, they didn't clean my mugs, and on another day they forgot to clean out the coffee maker (speaking of which, it's nice to have one in the room). Unlike a previous reviewer, I had no trouble getting online with my iPhone and Macbook.

I took a taxi from the central station (costing around 7 euro) and was told by the taxi driver that I could have just walked. It is indeed a pretty straightforward walk between the two – the station is clearly signposted, and to find the hotel just look for the signs for the Dom which on the same street. However, if you are rolling heavy bags, you might still want to consider taking a taxi.

Unless you really want the full buffet, breakfast is overpriced compared with what's available in the neighbourhood. Try Cafe Orloff on the next side street (Wed).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2012

A quiet and comfortable hotel in the centre of Utrecht. It is just down from the Dom tower and a short stroll to lots of cafes and shops. It took about 15 - 20 minutes to walk to and from the station but I don't mind a walk. I walked this with a suitcase which was a little tiring going over the cobblestones so it's probably worth a taxi ride if this will bother you. I think there is also a bus.

I booked the deluxe room because the standard rooms were full. It was very spacious and had a mini bar and coffee machine. It was very quiet and had a large comfortable bed.

There are two restaurants at the bottom of the hotel that are nice and lunch and dinner is reasonably priced. Breakfast is served in one of the restaurants. This is the only place I stayed at during my 3 week trip to Europe that didn't include breakfast in the price. It was about 12.50 per person and just had the standard breakfast that was provided free by my other hotels so this was a little disappointing.

The only other problem was with the internet, as other reviewers have mentioned. iPad and laptop were fine but Samsung mobile phone only worked downstairs.

Overall it was a nice place to stay. With a free breakfast and reliable wifi it would be 5 stars.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EzzOM
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I would have loved to give this hotel five stars. It is well appointed, the rooms are comfortable, the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. The room was, indeed, trendy as per the award! However a couple of things marred my stay. First, I travel with an iPad for work, and reliable Internet access is really important to me. However, I could not get Internet access on my iPad in my room. I tried a friend's pc and that worked ok. But to check emails, do work etc, I had to sit in the cafe. It's a great cafe, but it was a real inconvenience. The staff response was basically 'oh well, people do have trouble with macs sometimes'. This was frustrating when I choose hotels partly on their Internet availability. The other problem was that my keycard de-magnetised every time I left the room. I kept my card in the same place as other hotel cards, and I have never had this problem. It got a little boring having to go back down to reception every time to get my card redone. In the end I kept two, and usually one of them worked.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked this hotel, and as I say, I would have liked to give it five stars. But these naggling issues got to me after a few days. I would stay there again if they got the internet access sorted out.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed here for business during April 2012. The location can't be faulted - approx. 10 mins from Utrecht Centraal and right in the centre of town.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are nicely decorated with good facilities and the bar downstairs always seemed to have a lively mood - great for that post work dinner and drinks.

Minor downside is that the corridors are very dim and that the rear facing rooms look straight over into an office block - but it's no big deal!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights during an exhibition. Location is great, in the middle of the old town, with cobble stone streets and the lovely canal, and only a 15' walk to the Jaarbeurs exhibition center, half of it through a shopping mall which also incorporates the Central train station. The rooms are nice, a touch noisy, with walk-in shower. Breakfast buffet is really good. We had a good deal using Booking.com at 120€ per night, but non refundable really means non refundable! We did not try the restaurant, but the bar is really nice, not your average hotel bar with silent people reading or computing

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business