“Really good location”

Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Amersfoort
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Fairly new hotel located about 5-min walk from Amersfoort Train station (direct trains in from Schipol airport) and 10-min walk to the town centre (loads of places to eat in the town centre). Did not need public transport during my 5-day stay in this town. There were a number of eateries and a cinema just a minute away. Felt safe taking a walk in the evening. It's not completely deserted as it's close to residential buildings and the main road.
The hotel staff were friendly and always happy to help.
The room has loads of space and a massive power shower. I wasn't quite happy with the twin beds instead of a double bed. I could only use one of the duvets which was too small.
The room was well cleaned and had this fresh new room feel. The noise levels were ok - window was open all night and I slept ok, maybe because I was on the 7th floor.
The food served at breakfast was nice. There is not a lot on the hot side - just eggs and bacon. Room service menu is a limited but the food was really tasty. The restaurant doesn't serve dinner but there is a really good restaurant on the 2nd floor open till 10pm.
The only issue I had was at check-in where I was told to pay a check-in deposit of 350 euros even though my company was paying for my stay. Money was refunded a day after I left though.
All in all, I had a very good stay.
A.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear TravellingAstrid,

We very much appreciate your 'really good' comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Then again, I am sorry that your experience did not meet all your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
I will share all your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
We hope your next visit will be (even) more pleasant as the previous one.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre

Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

I have now stayed at this hotel for eight weeks in total with my company and I will be checking out tomorrow. I have found this hotel to be definitely one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and I will definitely be coming back here to stay on a weekend break. The hotel staff, reception and barstaff make you feel like it's your second home and are very friendly, helpful and professional. As I have mentioned before the 24 hour gym and the all you can eat restaurant next to the hotel are fantastic. The rooms are very modern and spacious and to a very high standard. I will be definitely coming back here in my leisure time. This is so far the best mercure hotel I have stayed in.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Dear Jez S.

Wow! Thank you so much for all the praise in words and rating. We all at Mercure Amersfoort appreciate that a lot! It makes us proud knowing you have such a good time in our hotel.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as 'fantastic' as the previous ones.
Be 'home' soon!

Reviewed May 15, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank rudie_11
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Reviewed May 11, 2014

This hotel is new and well positioned to visit the old city a ten minute walk to the centre.
The staff were very helpful and value for money is as good as you will get in the Netherlands. Rooms are large and comfortable and the free parking is a bonus if travelling by car.

Room Tip: Pay a few extra euro for a top floor room you will not be sorry.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Mr and Mrs 'GreymanAustralia',

Thank you so much for your 'great' review. A deal is a deal, so we read.
Thank you for being our guests. Please come again! The top floor will be yours.

Btw, your pen writes great!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Besides the Hotel being in a convenient place and has good amenities, I am struggling to write other positive things about this hotel from the experience I recently had with them.

I returned for the second time on leisure after being impressed with it on a prior stay when I was there for business.

At the time of booking, I requested for a wheelchair friendly room for my disabled mother. This, coupled with the fact it was her birthday weekend, I asked for a nice room. Arrived there and there was no more available Privilege Room (Background: I am a Le Club Accor Gold and am entitled to a free upgrade, subject to availability) Not being upgraded is ok with me as it was the King's Day weekend so I can imagine hotels are full.

They showed me an Executive Suite and told me it was an additional Euros 90. I declined and that was that. I certainly didn't expect a free upgrade from them. However, when I logged online, I found if I were to upgrade, it would have cost just an additional Euros 60. Why did they quote me another additional Euros 30? I just thought maybe their booking system is different to the one online and left it at that.

The one that irked me was when my disabled parent requested for late check out at 1600 and they agreed to it. Quite by chance, I happened to be at the lobby at noon and it was then transpired that they were going to charge me for late check out. I explained that my disabled parent needed more time to get ready and that my Le Club Accor Gold had a free late check out option, subject to availability. I explained to him that I doubt about leaving so late at 1600 but we asked for it just in case my disabled parent needed more time to rest. I suggested checking out at 1400, which he still insisted on charging me. After to and fro-ing, he agreed to a 1400 check out without charge. But that already left a bitter taste in the mouth and dampened the mood on my disabled parent's birthday weekend. Perhaps he thought I was not telling the truth about my parent being disabled but he did see us going off with the wheelchair.

My gripe is not about the lack of recognition about Le Club Accor elite status in terms of upgrade and request for a late check out. I can understand that and for the record, I never ask for late check out at other Accor Properties (always checking out early for business meetings) unless I absolutely need to.

It is about the staff's attitude and lack of compassion to those who are physically challenged. Those one or two extra hours means a lot to disabled patrons so I hope the General Manager will be able to address this issue with his staff. I am thinking of returning later this year to the hotel for business but I shall await the response from the General Manager before I make a decision.

Also, my points and my 'check in' at Places by Le Club has not been updated and verified. I travelled through five hotels during that period and the other hotel stay points have been credited. I was in Bangkok last week and within 36 hours, everything was credited. Perhaps the General Manager/Owner could highlight the Le Club Accor program to his team.

I would have rated this five star as I have no other complaints re location, rooms, sleep quality etc. But the experience with customer service at check out was really unpleasant and unfortunately that was all we remembered.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Lynn O.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our hotel. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.

Let us start by saying that your Le Club points via an incheck at 'Places by Le Club' are not added by an individual hotel but done centrally by our colleagues in Paris. We have send them a request to update your points.
We can only hope this will happen soonest.

And you are wright, you booked a Superior room and if there would have been availability, you would have had an upgrade to a Privilege Room. But our hotel was almost fully booked and a complimentary upgrade to a Privilege Room was not possible. We wished it was different.
Our staff then informed you about one of the few rooms still available. That was the Executive or Presidential Suite. Indeed the upgrade costs from a Superior room to this type of Suite are 90 euros. Maybe, you may have read on the internet the upgrade costs to a Junior Suite.

Based on your gold Le Club card you should have had the free late check out. I am happy to read our staff granted your request. Naturally, if there was availability, it should have been done without discussion. Please accept our apologies for this mistake. Please rest assured that we haven taken the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.
A next visit you will notice so!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Just got back from a trip to Holland to see the bulb fields and gardens, had a very pleasant stay here. the staff are really lovely, kind and helpful, and the rooms are so comfortable, great bathroom, spotless beds and rooms. just a wee bit dark but I guess very modern. Breakfast was good, and I am sorry to say I saw a member of our coach party stealing from the breakfast, not only food but coffee and cups, I can only say how sorry I was to see this, it gives a very bad impression of English people. I did mention it to our driver. I think he dealt with it .
The overall stay was great. it is so easy to get into the centre of the beautiful town and had lots of lovely food to eat there. What a very pretty place Amerfoort is and wonderful kind and friendly Dutch people.

Room Tip: So easy to get around from this hotel, the railway station is close by and you can be in The Haige u...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear citychick-11

We are very pleased to read your 'great' compliments about our staff and hotel. Thank you so much.
We are happy to have had you and your group as our guests. Please come again!
We hope the driver enjoyed the bread to go. No worries about this. All that matters is that you were brought home safely.
Thank you all for staying with us.

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Very convenient to the Centraal station in Amersfoort. Walking takes about 10 minutes. (Bring your umbrella - it's The Netherlands after all!) The hotel is in a building with lots if amenities - restaurant with any type of food you could want, Dirk grocery store, fitness center, and a decent bar in the hotel. Rooms are nicely appointed. I stayed in April 2014 and the hotel was relatively new. Very comfortable.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Dear Kingjaners,

Indeed good to mention once: the amenities of the building of the hotel. But more important is that you had a very comfortable stay with us.
Thank you for your nice review.