“Very nice and new hotel with a great rate” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre

Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Amersfoort
Valencia, Spain
“Very nice and new hotel with a great rate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is in general a great hotel and the room was really nice and at a great price. The building is very new and it shows. It is just a 10-15 minute walk from the station and another 10 minute walk till the canal that takes you to the Koppelpoort, the medieval gate to the old city. Distances were a lot shorter than they seemed in a map.

I had a double room just for me, so plenty of space, but also for two people. There was a door that connected with another room, but the double door couldn’t be opened from the other side of it. The bed was very comfy, with two single duvets. Among the things that you could find in the room there was a fridge and a safe that both were really useful. Also over them, there was a kettle, cups (no spoons), coffee and tea. Next to this, the wardrobe, quite big, with 3 doors and extra towels inside.

There was a nice desk and chair area very modern decorated. Over it, a huge flat screen Phillips TV with 73 channels in many languages. Also, a series of connections where you could plug a laptop and other devices. I tried with my MP3 player and didn’t work though. Next to this, a lamp and comfy armchair with a kind of table useful for eating while watching the TV.

There were heavy curtains that blocked most of the light (very useful being in a high floor). Later I discovered that there was also an electric blind. The view is real good and it faces the medieval town and the towers there. The air conditioning worked very well, but it was too chilly for it. Heating would have been useful.

The bathroom was really clean. Very nice extras, like floor heating, a round mirror with light around it, hairdryer, tissues, rain shower and two soap dispensers, one at the basin and one at the shower.

Of course there’s a lift and you make it work with your room key card if you go above the restaurant area, where the rooms are. That’s a nice security touch. One thing that surprised me at the room was that the peephole was very high at the door of my room, so I couldn’t even reach it. I am not tall, but I am not the smallest person ever. Dutch people are tall, but they should remember that other people can be smaller than them!

The staff was always really friendly and nice and saved my suitcase after I left the room (I got a receipt for it). There was just one thing I didn’t like and was asked to pre-pay not only my room but also an extra of 50 euro. I think it is more than enough with pre-paying the value of the night stay. Good thing I had enough money in that account! Afterwards I had to pay for another hotel in London and I could have been in trouble, because I didn’t know that I would have 109 euro extra pre-charged that I couldn’t spend in my trip.

Another negative was the cleanliness. Overall it was pretty good, but some details were really strange given the 4 star category of this hotel. One peg for the towels in the bathroom had some hairs there, so I didn’t use it. The bedside table had glasses and cups marks (very evident when I switched on the light in there) and they were sticky too. The cups had remains of coffee or tea, so I had to wash them myself (I read this in another review, so don’t rinse the cups, clean them well!). Also the kettle had still water and a kind of brownish dust inside that I cleaned too. No big deal all of this, the room and hotel were very nice, but very surprising that I had to notice this in such a nice place.

I didn’t try the breakfast or the restaurant, so can’t talk about it. I mostly bought food at the near Albert Heijn supermarket that was huge. There are many restaurants and fast food places (like Subway) there too and a cinema even. This is next to the new University building.

So great hotel, but they could do with a better cleaning service (especially with the cups not being properly scrubbed). However, I would stay there again for sure and recommend it as well, because it was modern and very nice, with quite a good price.

Room Tip: Remember having enough money at your account, because they pre-charge the room and 50 euro more when...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank isasshax
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Isasshax,

Thank you for being one of our highly valued loyal guests and for taking the time to review the Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre.

It is a great compliment to hear that you are so satisfied about the service in the various departments. As a guest in our hotel you are the first person to notice any differences in our product and service so therefore your positive feedback is greatly appreciated and of course the negative points will be discussed in our next Management meeting.

It is true that hotels do ask a guarantee for extras during the stay. This is possible by credit card or 50 euro which you pay at check in and you receive back at check out. A lot of things have happened in hotels before and hotels try to protect themselves. It is true and I understand that loyal and honest guests, like you, feel forced by giving credit card details or a deposit. But as we are not allowed to divide guests due to the discrimination law, we have to draw the line for every guest. We have never had the intention of keeping or taking your money, as it is only used for guarantee. Following to your comments we are planning to change our website, we need to mention: “A guarantee for extras will be asked by credit card or deposit during your check in”.
All guest feedback is of true importance to us as it allows us to constantly improve the level of service we offer to all our guests.

On behalf of the entire team including the management we thank you for your review and look forward to welcome you back soon.

With kind regards,
Martin Lindelauf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Hotel was perfectly good with large rooms, air con working & very clean bathroom. But this one comes across as a good new hotel on the edge of the city which is 'renting' the Mercure branding just to pull trade in (ie. me on this occasion). It really didn't feel anything like any other Mercure I have stayed in. I'm not complaining too much because the room rate was very good, but I think the whole idea of a branded hotel chain is being taken a bit far here. Particularly striking was the breakfast, which is in the bar area and is highly prepackaged in feel, with individual plastic wrapped cheese and ham portions and boiled eggs the hot food item. Guest ended up perching on low tables once the normal size tables ran out. And the hotel doesn't have its own restaurant, but shares the building with a buffet 'world food' restaurant (NB. other restaurant options are 400m back into town under the railway bridge). Stay was good, but I'm not sure I know what the Mercure brand stands for these days...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear ICE-Zugfahrer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to read that most of our services and facilities met your approval.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during breakfast. We take your comments regarding the breakfast choice and level very seriously.
Please be also informed that we are serving a French/continental breakfast and the selection of food is limited. Concerning the wrapped cheese and ham is for hygienic reasons

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

With kind regards,