“A very nice experience!”

Hotel de Tabaksplant
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Amersfoort
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I booked a comfort room in De Tabaksplant for a 3-days business trip and I left the hotel with very good impressions. The staff was very friendly, the place was nice. The location is excellent, literally 7 minutes on foot from the very center of the old medieval town of Amersfoort, 5 minutes walk to the nearest bus-stop and 20 minutes on foot from Amersfoort's main railway station (very convenient for those who arrive or depart by train). The room and the bathroom were simple, but they were warm and clean upon my arrival and throughout the three days I stayed, and so were the towels, bed sheets, etc. I had deliberately asked for a quiet room so as to be sure to have a good night's sleep. I got one on the upper floor facing the backyard and indeed there was total silence at night (but also in the evenings). The only thing that was missing was soap, otherwise shampoo and shower gel were offered, and so was a selection of teas with creamer and sugar to prepare in the kitchenette. The bed was comfortable, a bit on the soft side, but this is a matter of preference. Breakfast - included in the price, which is not at all self-evident in other hotels I had looked at before booking this one - was simple but complete: four different types of bread, cheese, ham, marmalade, butter, honey, chocolate chips / drops, two different types of yogurt with fruits, boiled eggs, milk, coffee, a selection of teas, a wide variety of fresh fruits (oranges, apples, pears, clementines, bananas...) and orange juice. Maybe one thing to add in order to improve the breakfast buffet would be some apple pie or cake, for those who like to eat something really sweet in the morning. For those reading Dutch, there was a selection of three Dutch newspapers to read during breakfast if one so wished. The staff was very friendly and provided me with everything I asked for - ranging from information about the city, restaurants (there are some really good in the neighborhood), and entertainment to accommodating their schedule to my arrival and departure needs. This is not a four star hotel where the groom is waiting to take your suitcase and the breakfast is served on silver trays on the bed. But it felt really nice and like home when I arrived and the same impression continued until the moment I left. And for all this, the price was really good, too. I will definitely book there if my way brings me to Amersfoort again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the backyard are quieter. Bring a small soap with you just in case, otherwise there is...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Cons:
-appartment was very dirty (bin wasn't changed, food left in refrigerator, mold in the bathroom, dust)
-rude receptionist, No friendly or helpfull service at all.. We where quite confused by this strange behaviour for a hotel receptionist..
-streetside appartement was a little noisy

Pros:
-good location
-comlete equiped appartement (although dirty..)

Overal impression: very poor service

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Valeggua
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The night before we departed from Schiphol, we wanted a hotel in a beautiful Dutch medieval town (of which there are many). Coming from the north, we choose Amersfoort as it appeared top be the best combination of architecture, history, and good restaurants. We had an enjoyable walk (although it was getting dark, and a great meal (Blok’s, another review). Notice I haven’t yet gotten around to the hotel review? Well, what can I say – it was solid Dutch not-much frills business-like efficiency. It is an excellent location, within a few minutes’ walk to the old town gates. They do have indoor parking, either free or reasonably priced, but it is down the road apiece in a pay garage. However, the desk man came in the car with me to make sure I found it. He was very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is quite basic, and I’d like to think that our room was one of the even more basic. It was very small, but the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was no great shakes, a simple cold buffet. The stopover in Amersfoort was well worth it – we’d go again, hopefully on a sunny day to walk around the old town. And we’d even stay at the Logies de Tabaksplant, but it wouldn’t be the highlight of the trip. We’ve attached a few photos of the outside – we couldn’t take any photos of the room because it was too small to get a decent camera perspective.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2012

The location of this hotel is excellent for the one minute stroll into the city centre.
I have stayed at this hotel before in one of the cheapest rooms at the front which was very noisy due to the constant noise of pedestrians and cyclist passing during the night. This time I stayed with my family in a ''luxury room''at the back of the hotel which was more than double the price of their cheapest room. The difference between the cheapest room and one of the most expensive was merely the size of the room, a coffee machine,cooker, table and chairs.The rooms are outdated with 1980's white walls and grey painted ceiling beams and an old style grey 20 inch tv. No carpets or rugs on floors. My room was not ready at 2pm when I arrived. There was no handsoap in the room. One day I returned late at night and my room had not been cleaned.Bin not emptied, wet towels still on the floor,beds not made. On my last day breakfast was chaotic and the staff were perplexed when three people turned up for breakfst as all the tables were set up for two people. It took 10 long minutes to set our table between two staff as they continued to work in the kitchen and serve other tables which sat down after we had. The staff are clearly not trained and have no sense of urgency and would not last a day here in the Uk .I mentioned at check out about our room not being serviced and the girl sort of apologised and said she would mention it to the girls responsible for cleaning the rooms.They are basically all very nice people but not very good at running a hotel.The euro does not go as far as the pound and if you are used to premier in or Hilton you may be very dissapointed as this compares more to a youth hostel experience.The breakfast is typically Dutch.
I would stay here again purely based on the location as it's within walking disatnce where I have to be in Amersfoort.I would strongly suggest that you ask for the cheapest rooms at the back of the hotel as the front is noisy and if you can live without a coffee machine you could save yourself 60 euros per night!

Room Tip: Make sure you book a budget , economy room at back of hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2012

The best of this hotel is the central location. The walking streets of the city center are just around the corner. Rooms are small and have minimal furniture. In typical Dutch way the sink is in the room, not in the bathroom and there is only tiny mirror to do your make up. Breakfast is good and served to the table.

I recommend this place for warm seasons, in wintertime the room was a bit chilly. If you spend 1-2 nights it is ok, but for longer stay I would need something more.

Room Tip: If you have heavy luggage or difficulties in stairs, mention this when you make your reservation, si...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed in the 'serviced' appartment for 3 weeks. The apartment is basic - not finished to a high standard at all eg. no soap holder in the shower, few shelves, kids beds very uncomfortable, internet connection virtually non-existent it is so slow.

Level of service was very poor - at one stage the bin was not emptied for 4 days. We repeatedly requested that the room was cleaned and even when it was done, it was done poorly with so much dust under the bed for example.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was fine - 3 types of bread, cheese, ham, egg, yogurt, drink. Pretty boring after 3 weeks!

Heating in the bedroom was terrible - we had to leave the door open to get heat in from the main living room

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I paid 65 Euro's a night for my en- suite single room on the first floor at the front of the hotel.The stairscases in the hotel are very steep and some almost have just half a spiral step.
I do not have any health problems and I really had to concentrate on my step,so not suitable for the eldery , infirm or children.They do have rooms on the ground floor that look onto a lovely courtyard with garden furniture. at the back of the hotel.
My room was clean although the decor was very clinical. All the rooms have small fridges and the staff kindly gave me a jug of fresh milk for my coffee.Having a room at the front of the hotel and not being double glazed means you can hear everything that goes on outside.Overall this is a budget style hotel in a great central location very near the main shopping street in Amersfoort.The breakfast was simple and typically Dutch.
The staff were very friendly and ordered taxi's for me when I needed them.
This hotel is great for short stays and I will definatelt stay here again.

Room Tip: Groundfloor overlooking courtyard is best
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends