“Modern stylish hotel,”
Review of Hotel Lumen

Hotel Lumen
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Zwolle
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel Lumen for a few nights. This modern stylish hotel did offer great rooms, with large amount of tv services in the room. Breakfast is ok as the service and staff is really helpfull...

Few rooms are available who do give a view on the pitch of Fc zwolle where you would be able to watch teh live games of the Eredivisie...

The fire alarm is still working as it went off during one of the nights (probably somone enjoyed a nice cigar on his room) :-)

They do offer a frequent stqy program called friends of hampshire...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 13, 2012

We used this hotel for a one night stay in Zwolle without using the restaurant. The hotel has a shared parking with the football stadion so it could be busy those days.
The room we got had no view what so ever. We faced a wall, for us that doesn't matter but it cost the hotel the excellent rating. The staff is very friendly and prepared for your stay, when we walked in all the papers where ready. The whole check in was done under 5 minutes. Lots of people say that the hotel is far from the center. Zwolle isn't that big. The hotel is located at the border of Zwolle but certainly not far from the center. We would advice the hotel it's very nice and one of the rare hotels where the pictures really represent the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
GrandWinston, General Manager at Hotel Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate the fact that you have taken some time to share your opinion about our hotel with other users of Tripadvisor.
We look forward to welcome you again in our hotel and Zwolle. And if you ask for a room on the second floor on the frontside, or the third floor and up, you will have a nice view as well.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed here after a long hot day of cycling on the LF9. The spacious room, walk-in shower, and huge was very welcome. I dined in the spacious Brasserie de l'Equipe and was very pleased. I appreciated the Nespresso coffee machine with free capsules in the room. The only criticism is that it is located on a busy street outside of town. However, the room was very well insulated and I didn't hear the traffic.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
GrandWinston, General Manager at Hotel Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in our hotel in the future.
And for your information: we also have hotel rooms located at the backside of the hotel, giving an overview of the country-side behind the hotel.
There is no traffic there!

Reviewed February 17, 2012

Ok, I'm not going to downgrade this hotel because of sneezing from pillows (another reviewer), I'm not going to downgrade this hotel because the parking is extra (yet another reviewer), those are very shallow reasons to tarnish a hotels reputation on TripAdvisor.

I'm going to review this hotel based on my overall impression which was very very good.

From he very start "Wow factor" oozing from everywhere, lobby, restaurant and bar.

Amazing Design and room I had was amazingly large, functional yet modern.

Reception was excellent (yet they didn't really know where the gym was) and the hotel food was very very good (had the seared Tuna Special). Eventually found the Gym and it was excellent, very small but all you really need.

In short this design hotel at Eur 120 / night was an amazing value although I skipped the Eur 20 for breakfast.

Looking forward to my return to Lumen Hotel, I really loved it and the large group there for business seemed to agree.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Hotel Lumen had set up the first ever ice hotel in The Netherlands, which initiative was part of the ice sculpture festival that took place in December and January. The hotel actually consisted of three bedrooms next to each other and accessible by a curtain. Storing your belongings was possible in (very small) lockers in a portacabin just outside. This portacabin also had a minibar and a table with chairs. Another portacabin contained the toilets and showers. Guests would need to take turns as the showers were in one and the same room and the door could not be locked. Access to the entrance of the ice rooms was through a festival gate just locked with a bicycle lock. Strangly enough, the door to the ice rooms could not be locked.

Arriving at Hotel Lumen, we were offered free parking in the parking area and a shuttle service to the ice hotel that was situated in the middle of town. At the ice hotel, we were explained the code of the bicycle locked, how the lockers and the showers worked, we got the keys for the locker and shower areas, and we received the sleeping bags for the night. The three couples needed to agree among themselves who would take which room as these had not been pre assigned. After that, we went into town to eat.

At around midnight we came back and "dresed for the night". The room was fabulous and as we had expected from an ice hotel room. The bed was great with an Auping matrass. Like it should be. Hoewer, in the middle of the night we were abruptly woken up as a couple of guys had accesses the ice hotel premises and came into the hotel. They came into the room ofone of the other couples and started to walk around in the corridor, shouting and without any doubt being very drunk. The other couple tried to contact security which they couldn't get a hold of, and then phoned the police. To cut a long story short, the guys went away again before any assistance arrived and we all went to sleep again. After sleeping in, we called the taxi, also organised by Lumen, to take us back to the Main hotel again for breakfast. While we waited, the lady whontook us to the ice hotel the evening before was completely unaware of the events. Back at Lumen, as we were the last ones to arrive back we decided not to say anything to the reception staff as we were sure the other couples had already complained. Nothing was said or asked. We received a certificate that strangly enough only carried the name of one of us.

Breakfast was OK but not impressive. We ordered baked eggs and asked for some ketchup but they were out of. Although it was very quiet in the restaurant it took the waitress ages to clean up the tables where other people sat.

We bumped into the other couple that had the surprise of having the guys in their room and wondered how the hotel dealt wth their complaint. Nothing was offered and they were very disapointed about that as well.

We hope they will now change the security policies for the ice hotel as this time it were just a couple of drunken young people but anything can happen....

All in all the ice room experience was great, Hotel Lumen did not impress us at all.

Room Tip: Rooms are not pre assigned. Ask for the most popular one, the most left one. (this might change next...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeKokkies
GrandWinston, General Manager at Hotel Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2012

Dear DeKokkies,

We regret what happened to our guests. Although the entrance to the Icehotel is closed with a high fence, we cannot prevent stupid behavior of drunk people. To make sure that unwelcome guests not get entrance to the Ice-rooms we placed new locks on the fence and on the door giving entrance to the rooms. We spoke to the guests and apologized for what happened in the Icehotel and the way our staff reacted. And to prove that the service of our hotel meets up to high standards, we invited this guest for a stay in Hotel Lumen, an offer which the guest gladly accepted.

Kind regards,

Jean-Jacques Jouret

Reviewed December 25, 2011

Hotel Lumen is a new hotel in Zwolle, opened in spring 2011. It has a very modern and cool interior design, and it goes without saying, that since it is fairly recently opened, it is clean. The receptionists are very polite and friendly, but that is about how far the good things go with this hotel. I am not sure if they are suffering still from getting things working, from being a rather new hotel, or how come the services don’t seem to work as one could expect. Let me give a few examples...

I have stayed in total a few weeks in this hotel. Every day there seemed to be something that didn’t work out, at least to my expectations. One day the room service leftovers was let in my room for the whole next day, as the cleaning lady had forgot to take it out once cleaning the room (and the cheese was pretty smelly by my arrival). Another day she forgot to replace used towels with new ones, so there were no towels at all. One day she forgot to empty the trash can. And during my last trip of almost two weeks, my bed lines weren’t changed even once! I am all for preserving nature, but I would expect the bed linens to be changed after a week at least.

Also when ordering room service, one morning I only got two items of what I had ordered for breakfast (these were the tea and a fruit), and when ordering dinner one evening, e.g. bread was left out, although it said explicitly on the menu that all salad courses are accompanied with bread and butter.

Furthermore, I ate at the hotel restaurant three evenings, of which two times the bill was incorrect. One time I was charged 3 beers extra, and another time for coffees and teas of another table, which I didn’t have. One of the times the waiter said they don’t accept credit cards at the restaurant, although I had a few evenings earlier paid with credit card. Also – perhaps it is the hotel’s concept – the same dish on the menu, was three consecutive times looking completely different. If you eat there a lot, this can of course be refreshing, but on the other hand, if you like a dish, there is no guarantee you get the same the next time you order it. And finally, the waiting times in the restaurant are pretty long, so remember to reserve enough time and be patient (although there might only be you and a handful of other guests in the restaurant).

The hotel also has a small kind-of gym (layout not so good), but for a broader offering, Lumen guests can visit a separate health centre in the next door complex, at the price of 15€. You can also park your car next to the hotel, and do your dry-cleaning (the latter being actually very affordable).

WLAN is included in your room price, but you don't do much with it, as at least in my room the connection was breaking every 5 minutes (which I also heard was the case for two of my colleagues). There are two iPads in the lobby though, which you can use for surfing various Internet sites.

The hotel is situated close to the highway A28, so getting on/off the highway is easy, if you need to go to nearby towns, and you don’t have to spend time in morning traffic in the centre. In terms of walking, it is about a 20 minutes’ walk to Zwolle centre, for shopping and dining.

I like the hotel when it comes to its design and its spacious rooms, and the friendliness of the receptionists, but for me to re-visit or to provide a better review, they would have to get the daily operations running smoother in other areas of the hotel. I hope they do that soon, for you to have a more satisfying stay at Lumen, in case you decide to stay here.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank AnneBear
Reviewed November 27, 2011

After sleeping on a makeshift bed, was excited to try out this new place in Zwolle.
Everything spells sparkling new.. except for the pillows that made us sleepless. :(
Too firm and tight. ended up pushing it aside. Then, i got a sneezing bout which i thought i got from the pillows! Hotel staff told us, the fillings are synthetic so it shouldn't give me an allergy. Still..my sneezing and coughing (allergic reactions) lasted the whole day..

Room Tip: Executive Room on the corner is great.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagementHotelLumen, Manager at Hotel Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2011

We do have a second pair of harder pillows in the closet, availbale for guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Zwolle
2 mi away
Mooirivier
#1 of 3 in Dalfsen
Pillows Grand Hotel Ter Borch
Hotel Restaurant Fidder

Been to Hotel Lumen? Share your experiences!