1,830 results
All reviewstrain stationjunior suitequirky hotelamazing hotelsteam roompool and saunaa bit priceyshopping centrezaanse schansmini barright next doorthe hustle and bustleshops and restaurantsten minuteshigh streetlong weekendtrains run
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I did like the design of both the hotel and rooms at first sight. Spacious and delicate rooms. Wonderful bathroom. The fitness gym was rather small, but OK since I was the only person there. My second thought about the room, was that it is a bit cold. Nothing on the white painted walls and no curtains, only white shades. But it was quiet, despite the traffic right outside. Breakfast and restaurant was really good.
I will definitively stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I booked this hotel based on the really good reviews and also because of the its great appearance.

I travelled to the hotel from Schiphol airport via train. I found this to be the cheapest and most efficient way to get to the hotel. The ticket was purchased from a ticket machine at the airport which I found pretty easy to use. The cost of a single to Zandaam is around 4EUR. Finding the train to board was quite simple. There are train timetables located around the airport and train station - you will find them in yellow. Just look for the board which displays Zandaam as a destination then scroll down to find the next departure time and platform. Be warned that the trains here are very efficient and leave dead on time so don't expect them to wait around if you're late. Once you board, it is around 2 stops to Zandaam so a 10min journey.

Once you arrive at Zandaam station, go up the stairs and take the exit to the left. This will take you direct to the hotel. Be prepared for a lot of construction work around the station and hotel. The area (including the area outside the hotel) is going through extensive reconstruction. However, the station is joined to the hotel so you will see the hotel straightaway. To get into the hotel. you will need to go to the ground floor. You will find the entrance which takes you through the restuarant to the reception area.

I arrived at the hotel just before the check-in time of 2pm but was still able to checkin at this time. The desk staff spoke good english and were very welcoming so no problems here. I took the lift up to my room which when I arrived, I found extremely clean and well-designed. As you can see from the photographs, all rooms have an individual theme and are designed to a high standard. As the hotel is fairly new, there is no wear and tear so it felt like I was the first person to stay in the room!

The area around the hotel was buzzing full of cafes, shops and even a cinema. There is a cashpoint no too far from the hotel and also one in the station if you need to draw out some cash. There is also a supermarket a few yards from the hotel so you may want to purchase your drinks and snacks from here rather than the hotel. The minibar and food menu are quite expensive. There is also a 3.50EUR service charge each time your order so be prepared!

I took the train into Amsterdam Central. It was only two stops and very cheap. Be aware of the last train times as it costs around 30EUR to get back to the hotel - a mistake that I made on the first night!!

The hotel has great facilities including a gym and swimming pool. There is also a Turkish bath and sauna, which I did not use. The gym itself was very small and more suitable for two people at a time. The pool was fanstasic and worth a quick dip when you arrive back at the hotel after a long day.

The resturaunt downstairs is also very comfortable and well laid out. The food served is pretty much the same as what you get on the room service menu. I found the food from the restuarant and room service very nice with large proportions so now problems there. Be warned that you get more than enough food for breakfast. I ordered some muesli and yoghurt and ended up getting a feast including a cheese and ham selection, a bread platter and choped fruit!

Free Wifi is also a plus so make sure you bring your netbook! I believe they will lend you a laptop if you ask. There is also free internet access in the lobby.

All in all, the hotel made for a great experience in Amsterdam and I would definitely refer this to a friend. I am also planning another trip to Amsterdam very soon and will definitely be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank lil_abi
Reviewed March 11, 2011

We stayed here, it's two train stops from Amsterdam( approx 20 min) and the train station is across from the hotel but we did not hear the train from the hotel . Nice clean hotel , very unique decor , looks like a safe area . It is a big savings from staying in Amsterdam . The hotel has lots of shops and restaurants in the area , so you need not go into Amsterdam if you want a quiet day . The train will cost you about 9 euroes for a couple return ( 10 euroes if you buy from the person at the train station so bring change and save some $) . There was a fair going on when we were there in Sept and there are restaurants in the area if you want to get out . Not much night life but it was Sept so it may be busier in the summer months. For the most part we went into Amsterdam each day . If you don't mind the travel it's a very nice hotel . We did not eat in the restaurant or use the pool but both looked clean and nice. There was alot of construction going on aroung the hotel but we did not hear them working . Most days we saw no one doing construction and days there were people they were only a few. The construction did not bother us. Just remember if you go in Sept. it's cold and rainy so dress appropiately !! Take the train from the airport go to the main level of the airport they will help you , it's only about a 20-30 minute ride .

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alexcc
Reviewed March 7, 2011

My hubby and I went to Amsterdam for a long weekend. The first thing I will say is DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY THE BUILDING WORK IN THE PICTURE. Yes there is building work going on all around the hotel, but it did not impact on our stay whatsoever. This hotel was about a 20 minute train ride from Schipol Airport and a 10 minute train ride from Amsterdam Central. The trains always ran on time and were very frequent. The hotel was clean, funky and very welcoming. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. They always said hello and goodbye when we entered and left the hotel. The rooms were very comfortable, especially the bed, like others, we did not want to leave it, its a shame it didn't fit in my suitcase!! For British visitors just beware there is no milk in the room to have with your tea. Actually we found that Amsterdam in general do not have milk with their tea, you get a glass of hot water and you get to choose your tea bag. This was actually quite nice. Breakfast in the hotel was plentiful, there was everything from eggs, sausage, bacon to croisants, doughnuts etc. The wellbeing suite was very nice. It was nice to have a swim and sauna after a long day of walking about in the town. We didn't have our evening meal in the hotel. We would like to recommend The Mail, www.the-mail.nl for eating out we had a lovely meal there if you leave the hotel go right through the shops to the very end and it is on the right hand side. Although the menu was all in Dutch the staff were very helpful and translated it for us. The 'IamAmsterdam' cards were very good value, they can be purchased from the white building opposite the Amsterdam Central Station, don't be put off by the queue's inside you take a ticket and you are seen very quickly. The ticket allows you into the museum's for free, the trams for free and a 1 hour cruise ride. Or you can just purchase a 24 hour tram card for just 7 euros each, this entitles you to unlimited tram trips for 24 hours and this does come in handy especially if you want to go to the flea markets as they are a very very long walk from Central Station. Oh well I hope this may be of help, have a good trip.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Karen R
Reviewed March 4, 2011

Thsi hotel is located just opposite to metro station. The moments i get off metro...headed towards hotel, my first reaction was "WOW". It was a nice colorful building. The time i went there was lot of construction going around, so the view from hotel room is all construction around. But i believe all construction might be over now, so it would be a beautiful view. I must go there one more to see :) . In-Hotel reception was good, nice warm and cozy. Zandaam itself is a beautiful place. U can easily find a train from Amsterdam airport and do look for the right Golden Tulip Airport (coz there r 2 Golden Tulips, one in Amsterdam itself).

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business