“If you want food, there is food”
Review of De Groene

De Groene
Ranked #35 of 37 Restaurants in Volendam
Cuisines: Belgian, Dutch
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“If you want food, there is food”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

The restaurant looks nice and cosy. What I immediatly notices, which was kinda unhandy, were the seats/tables located just in front of the restaurant. Due to this it was very difficult to pass to the inside (you literally had to ask people to move).
Inside the service was started, but there wasn't really a "welcome" by the host of the restaurant. We ordered drinks first and it took a while before they came but we were patient. Then I ordered an ham-cheese backed egg. It felt like ages before that arrived, which was kinda strange seeing not that many customers in the restaurant.
When finally the egg was delivered, it was okay to eat, though it was very thick and extremely large (would have been enough for 3 persons). A dissapointment was the "salade" which was like cumcumber with some dressing (it didn't taste bad though), but most dissapointing was the bread. It was white bread, but it wasn't toasted. I mean you would expect some toasted bread with your egg, right? The bread was the chepeast white bread hit with some butter. I had the feeling the egg, bread and "salade" where just thrown on the plate, not much of decoration time/love in it. A pitty. The Egg was though with some salt okay to eat. When we wanted to pay, all payed with cash but I wanted to do maestro. When we asked this young lad if we could split the bill, he said, it isn't possible. But when we asked someone else, it was possible. The bill was very pricy. A drink and an egg, 10 euro's and 25 cents. We weren't thanked for the stay, and we felt like; leave this restaurant, well of course we had to move through the people again who were blocking the entrance.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank TimotiusFinn

Amstelveen, The Netherlands
“very bad to "digest"!!!!!”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

yesterday, 28-09-2013, we had lunch in this restaurant which looks nice from outside (but only from outside!!!) We were 5 peoples (2 kids, me, my husband and my mother). My family ordered beside me since I was not too hungry and there was nothing really healthy there beside fries, fry fish, toasties, etc.....
when the food arrive, I asked for a plate for me to put some fries to eat from the plate of my kid since it was too much for her. I got a such small plate that was maybe enough for 2 fries in it! I didn't say nothing! I ask afterwards for a fork and a knife to eat a bit cucumbers from the plate of my husband, the waitress brought me a small fork (a cake fork) but no knife! I asked, why this fork and why no knife? she just said with a lot embarrassment: "sorry, I can't bring you something else"!!!
why not, I asked? she said again (in Dutch) that: "she couldn't"!
I asked her manager why I couldn't get fork and knife and why I got this small plate? she answered me: you didn't order nothing, therefore, you can't get "normal service" to eat from the plate of your family!!!!
WE WERE ALL IN CHOCK!!!!
I never heard such ridiculous say that I can't get fork, knife or plate to eat a bit with my husband because I didn't order!!! Shame on them!!! sometime, you are not hungry for a meal but take some bites from your husband or your kids, is it a "crime"???? what a BAD service and the owner lady was so impolite to us! I couldn't resist to shut on her and tell her that I was very very disappointed to a such behavior with customers! DO NOT GO THERE! you will be disappointed! very stingy owner, a waitress who don't speak English (Volendam is a touristic place!). and the atmosphere don't give you wish to stay to long there!!!
M.V.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Michele V
Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
“Stay away from this place...seriously.”
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Bad food (seemed reheated), bad service...bill on a post-it and when we asked for recipe she laughing at us...

1 Thank valeriolep
UK
“Stay away service is disgusting”
Reviewed June 19, 2009

looks nice from the outside but the staff need some serious service training. waited 15 minutes for waitress to ask what we wanted no apologie. even then some other customers had to point out to her we were waiting. she brought the beer and menus. asked why there was such a delay and she said 'by myself' i asked does she not normally say sorry for any delay and she took the beers away. previously she was joking with dutch customers but seems to dislike any others.
worse experience ever.