“Certainly not 'luxury'”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Volendam
Lampeter, United Kingdom
“Certainly not 'luxury'”
Reviewed May 30, 2006

Just returned from Holland where we had booked four nights at the Old Dutch via the Holland NL site. The brochure describes it as a "luxury" hotel but they have a long way to go. The room overlooked the harbour which was its only saving grace, except that it can get a bit noisy. The only way to describe it was shabby. There was wallpaper peeling away from the walls all around the room and stains on the carpet where previous furniture had been removed. There was nowhere comfortable to sit as shown in the pictures, just two wooden kitchen-type chairs. The bed was broken at one corner and the tv very small, at ceiling level, and very basic. In the bathroom there was mould on the tiles in the shower and about a foot up the shower curtain. No hairdryer and no coffee making facilities and no written guest information. The breakfast buffet was also basic, even for the continent, and on the last morning we were there it was empty and we had to ask for everything we wanted. The food in the restaurant was excellent but unfortunately people lighting up cigarettes spoiled it. They really need to consider making the restaurant a non-smoking area, or at least a section of it. We felt we paid too much for what was on offer and that was confirmed when we reached our next destination which was cheaper and far superior. We were unable to complain at the time as there didn't seem to be anyone in charge, just waiting and bar staff.

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
morocco05
Reviewed September 23, 2005

I just got back from my european trip, I went to holland for a friends wedding.

I wanted to spend the weekend in amsterdam, although the city just so happened to be having a conference. I managed to find a hotel outside of the city in Volendam, seaside.

I managed to find a hotel and read the reviews for Old Dutch hotel. It sounded good and the price was right. So i booked this immediately with expedia.

I must admit I was a bit sceptical about booking a hotel online.
When I checked in at the Old Dutch, the hotel tells me that I have no reservation. I showed them a copy of my reservation and confirmation payed in full. That didnt seem to matter. The gentleman made a call with a hotel down the road with a Hotel Spaander, Best Western. and that they will have a room for me.
My room was large just for one person, breakfast was included and I had a seaside view.

So if you have not booked with expedia before, call ahead to the hotel to confirm, which I should have done. Just one more note, after expedia receives your payment in full, and you print out your confirmation, expedia mentions that it will take up to 7 days for the hotel to recieve your confirmation and that the hotel may not also accecpt your reservation.

2 Thank morocco05
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2004

Hi, spent a few days in Volendam at the old dutch hotel. Brilliant place. Had St . Patricks day there which is the Irish patron saint.
That day my friend and I were wearing our Irish rugby shirts just for the occassion and who and behold 2 large tourist ships found Volendam full of the historical enemy the English. What a dayand night we had with them. Shall be back. Cant wait.

Good Luck to all. Phil

leeds england
Reviewed February 22, 2004

what can i say except FANTASTIC what a great hotel the staff brilliant no problem at all the hotel is placed in a quaint little fishing village what a view from the hotel its great you will love it im organising a trip for a week next yearfor about 8 or 10 of us

graham phillips

Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed October 12, 2003

Hotel Old Dutch at Volendam's harbor is a treasure. It is a small hotel above the local's favourite restaurant. The rooms are large and those facing the harbor have a magnificent view. Breakfast is typical Dutch and very good. We enjoyed this hotel (and town) so much we stayed an extra night.

6 Thank IdoYat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volendam
Hotel Spaander
#2 of 4 in Volendam
Hotel Restaurant van den Hogen
Suitehotel Restaurant Posthoorn
Hampshire Golfhotel - Waterland

Been to Hotel Old Dutch? Share your experiences!