WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hof van Marken

Hof van Marken
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marken
Cork
“Hof van Marken is a hotel???”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

1. Not good food, when I did order schrimps I have got cooked in oil in microwave, no choice in the menu.
2. My boyfriend wanted to eat on silvester night a dinner, he did order the food and it was no food for him.
3. When I went with my own glas of wine the owner lady was rude, when I said OK I am going out, I am leaving the room, she shaked my hand and and did spill wine over me, I had to change my clothes - no one said I am sorry.
4. Very steep stairs, no facilities for disabled people at all.
5. Very lopsided floor in rooms.
6. Water flush in toilets not working properly.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BeaBi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

This was our favorite spot on our trip with my niece for her high school graduation trip thru 8 countries in Europe. It was a combination of the owners/staff, boutique hotel, location, and most importantly the food. This is one place I would love to go back to stay. Be sure to have the homemade croissants and ice cream. We asked if they could teach us how to make croissants, but weren't staying there long enough. I took a class on how to make croissants back in the states and understand why. We stayed here and merely drove down to Amsterdam to see sights. Much better than staying in Amsterdam. PS. - we also also stayed at The Ritz in London and liked Hof Van Marken much more.

Room Tip: Americans you are compelled to travel with tons of luggage be sure to drive up and drop off, as park...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingAuntMarian
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed here with a group of colleagues last week. The owners are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean and comfortable and has a charming old world atmosphere. I had read other reviews about the steep stairs and I thought I was accustomed to Dutch stairs but these are something special. Luckily I was only dealing with an overnight bag and not a suitcase!
I had a room on the top floor. My bed was very comfortable and even though it is a wooden house I had no trouble with noise from other guests. The meals (breakfast and luch) were very good.
Marken is tiny and a stay here doesn't have much to offer, but there is a ferry to Volendam where there is a bit more life.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 6mbelowsealevel
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were meeting friends in Amsterdam but I could not find anything affordable right in the city because of a marathon that was going on that weekend. When I searched farther out I found this little gem. Marken used to be an island until 1991 and it was merged into Waterland.
You are able to drive your car up to the hotel (about 30 steps away) to check in and drop off your luggage. You cannot park here but there is a parking lot about a 5 min walk away.
The owner met me at the reception/restaurant and showed me to our house. He was very nice and told me if there were any issues just to call. He asked what time we wanted breakfast the next day and then I was on my own to explore.
The main floor had a sitting room, kitchen table, full kitchen and bathroom.
To get to the upstairs you had to climb very narrow steep stairs. Would not recommend for the elderly or for knee issue people.
The upstairs had two bedrooms and a bathroom with shower and sink. The only toilet was on the main level. So if you have to get up in the middle of the night to use the toilet this would not be ideal for you.
The beds were very comfortable and it was very quiet to sleep. There is free wifi that worked through out the whole house.
Breakfast the next morning was wonderful. Fresh fruit, pastries, meat and cheeses. We had a hard boiled egg and fresh orange juice. This kept us full for most of the day.
I wish we had more time here to explore the little town. Its a easy 20 min drive into Amsterdam. Parking cost us 5 eruo to park the car at night. Oh! Great wooden shoe maker right across from the parking lot. Have to step inside and see all the wooden shoes and how they make them.
We would come back and stay longer for sure!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Barcelona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We got the small room for 95€ but you need to pay 9€ for the Marken Parking. You can't reach the hotel with the car because Marken is car-free. Breakfast is not included with the price and it's quite expensive (like many hotels...)

Beds are not very good and the room equipment is quite old, but the bathroom was new and good. The hotel is quite noisy although the area is very quiet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Genis D
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Pretty nice, we booked the suite room which was at the very top of old part of bulding the stairs were a little diffcult to get up with the suitcase but hey thats like most old dutch buldings, great view across the rooftops of Maarken,

If you drive you need to park in the car park which is on the main road and about 10 mins walk which is a pain with the bags, dont try to drive into town the locals get most upset,

Maarken itself is very quiet and a lovely place to spend a day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Cute and romantic hotel in the characteristic island of Marken, two minutes from the bus station and a few metres from the little port...with the bus in 40 minutes you arrive in Amsterdam or you can take a walk to the lighthouse in Marken seeing a lot of nature and animals.
Really recommended!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carola C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marken
Hotel Spaander
#2 of 4 in Volendam
Volkshotel
Volkshotel
#46 of 362 in Amsterdam

Been to Hof van Marken? Share your experiences!