“location is everything”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lisse
Exeter, United Kingdom
“location is everything”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We booked this hotel through booking.com for three nights and a visit to Keukenhof Gardens - an easy ten minute walk away. I have good and bad things to say about the hotel but my dealings with them did not begin well when they sent me two emails in Dutch apparently stating that my credit card was no good. I contacted booking.com - whom the hotel should have contacted - and they sorted it. Next, however, I discovered from my credit card account that I had been billed twice by the hotel. Contacted booking.com and my bank and sorted that out. However, I never received an apology from the hotel or any compensation for the mess.
On arrival at the hotel, we found pleasant and helpful staff. The hotel is only a three star establishment but it does have a rather shabby appearance - the hallways and corridors have worn and stained carpets and the decor is slightly reminiscent of an industrial installation. We had booked a senior suite which, as a previous reviewer has said, is a bit like a small house. The room was reasonably clean but the tv remote didn't work, light bulbs weren't all working, the stairs to the bedroom were narrow and very steep and the kitchen only had very basic facilities and we had to ask for a tea towel (which took a while to locate). I didn't find the bed particularly comfortable either. On the plus side, however, the staff were always pleasant and willing to try to help, the breakfast was an acceptable buffet and the hotel's position for visiting Keukenhof absolutely brilliant (you can go in early, come home for lunch and go back when the crowds have subsided).
For eating, we did try the restaurant attached to the hotel but found it to have poor service and very average food. We discovered a small Italian restaurant a couple of doors down (Piccolo) which was very nice - good service, nice people and tasty, well presented food.
All in all, if we were visiting Keukenhof again, I would stay at this hotel again but it is the location and the staff that make it an attractive proposition.

1 Thank birdersmate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014

stayed there 4 nights Wednesday-Sunday. Friday & Saturday night we got no sleep because of the noise from the pubs nearby. Loud music blaring and people shouting below our window till after 3am, by which time we found it impossible to sleep. Dont know if the other rooms facing the other way were more quiet. Apart from that it was very convinient for Keukenhof.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room where you cant hear the noise from the pubs/bars
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We wanted to visit the bulbfields and chose this hotel as we could walk to Keukenhof from there. We had booked a senior suite, which was really like a little house, with lounge and kitchenette downstairs, and bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The lounge area was good, and there were two TVs, one in the lounge and one in the bedroom. It was lovely and warm in the suite all the time, with the heating on all day, and the water was, if anything, too hot. The bed was very comfortable.
When booking I had asked for soya milk, which they got in for me. It ran out on the fourth morning of our stay and they had to go out and buy some more, but they did this without complaining, though it did take a while and I was glad we didn’t have to catch a bus that day!
The breakfasts were fine with the usual tinned and fresh fruit, juice, yogurts, cereals, cold meats, sausages, eggs, bread/toast and various jams and spreads.
The kitchenette in the suite was a bit poor. I wasn’t expecting a kettle – we’d brought our own – but I did think, maybe, there would be a microwave. There were four hobs, but the saucepans looked like they’d seen better days, and no oven nor toaster. So, really, it was a bit basic. Although there was a sink, it was difficult doing the washing up (only a few cups and a couple of teaplates) because there was nowhere to put the dirty or clean plates, and nowhere for the water left on the crockery to flow away to.
The bathroom was fine, but nothing special. There was a hairdryer attached to the wall, but it was pathetic and I had to ask at reception for a conventional hairdryer.
We stayed for six days and noticed the service at breakfast varied from day to day, depending on which staff were on duty. Some mornings were a lot better than others in terms of what had been put out, what we needed to ask for (because it hadn’t been put out), replenishing items and clearing away.
Three nights we ate in the 1198 restaurant attached to the hotel, which offered a buffet meal for €15.50. It varied in quality and how much of each option was left from night to night, but was good value compared to the other restaurants in the town.
I dare say we may come back to see the bulbfields in a few years’ time, and I feel quite positive about staying at the Hotel de Duif again in the future.

Tomaszow Mazowiecki, Poland
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We were proposed a very small, dirty room in the basement so we did not agree to stay. The windows were in the roof, very small. Dusty carpet and będzie covers. We moved to another hotel though we booked that room 2months earlier.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dozza21

Travelers are raving about these Lisse hotels

Quito
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This may be premature as it is the first night of a two night stay but I was writing some other reviews of hotels where I have stayed on this trip and thought I would give my "two cents" on what I have experienced to this point. I picked this hotel because the bed and breakfast where I normally stay in Amsterdam was booked long ago for these dates and the hotels I have often stayed at around the AMS airport were full or super expensive. I think there must be a major trade fair going on at the RAI. Here are my observations to date:
1. The interchange of e-mails with the hotel in advance of my arrival was helpful, with prompt and clear answers to the questions.
2. The staff in reception was very helpful when I checked in.
3. There is no "private lot" but I had no problem finding a parking place close to the hotel. If you stay in most of Amsterdam and at AMS airport hotels the parking in not free and the hotel is not far from the airport.
4. The area around the hotel is full of shops and restaurants and was an excellent place to walk at night. It is Thursday night so many of the shops were open until 9 pm, but I like this area.
5. The room is small but in good shape, and the price of 77 Euros with free Wifi and breakfast for this room seems fair.

The question I always tend to ask at this point is if I would come back, and so far the answer is yes.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Ecuabuckeye
MNoordermeer, Manager at Hotel De Duif, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Ecuabuckeye,

Thank you for having chosen Hotel de Duif and for having taken the time to write a review on our hotel.

I’m pleased to know that you were happy with our accommodation and the price quality ratio.

Also thank you for the kind comments on our staff service.

Hopefully you will pay us another visit in the near future.

Marieke Kleiss - Noordermeer
Amsterdam
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel to go to a wedding nearby - it was the only hotel available so we had no choice.
The setting is not good - the reception entrance is tucked away in a side street - and on entering you are taken back to 1970-something - dark colours and a very sobre un-welcoming lounge.
The room had the same style - dark and cold looking.
We were there in October and the heating was not working properly - we were pleased to get up in the morning and have a hot shower (at least the bathroom was good!).
The breakfast was very basic and we seemed to be in the way of the lady supervisor who gave us the impression we were not welcome!
Not one to return to but not easy to forget!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AmsterdamNeil
MNoordermeer, Manager at Hotel De Duif, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Neilteddy,

I appreciate you having taken the time to review our hotel.

Sorry to read that your stay did not go as you have expected.

I am sure it was not the intention of my colleague to make you feel you were not welcome during breakfast, I will discuss the matter with her.

Since a couple of months we have a new heating system, which hopefully means the problem of a cold room stays as a thing from the past.

Marieke Kleiss – Noordermeer
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I must mention, the morning staff at De Duif were helpful, especially Frans, really helpful guy. The hotel is still naff. The staff have no real power over the quality of the hotel, the management/owner need to step up and spend some money. It could be lovely.. But when you have to walk up a dark alley to a neon sign that says "TEL". You start to get a feeling of dread. If you need to complain, don't do it to the staff but email the manager via the website or ask for her at reception. The breakfast was also very cheap fare indeed, or video it and post it. I am getting tired of poor quality, European hotels, if we want a quality stay, we must complain.

• Stayed August 2013
MNoordermeer, Front Office Manager at Hotel De Duif, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Peter B,

Thanks again for writing another review of Hotel de Duif.

I will certainly tell Frans that you've mentioned him in your review, I am sure he'd be happy with your compliment.

I have forwarded your review to the owner.

Despite your statement I am glad that the quality and service of the staff stood out.

Marieke Kleiss - Noordermeer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisse
NH Noordwijk Conference Centre Leeuwenhorst
Hotel Restaurant De Nachtegaal
Hotel Restaurant Grand Cafe Flora
Hotel Orion
Hotel Orion
#1 of 1 in Kaag
Hotel Van Oranje, Autograph Collection
Fletcher Hotel Restaurant De Witte Raaf

Been to Hotel De Duif? Share your experiences!