“Keukenhof visit”
Review of Hotel De Duif

Hotel De Duif
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lisse
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I followed the advice of many of the ta people and booked my room at the Hotel de Duif in Lisse. I was very impressed with it, and felt the reviews were correct. I found the reception staff to be so kind! I was dealing with a combination of jet lag and a burning desire to see the tulips at Keukenhof. I found eveyrone there to be so kind and they made every attempt to help me see the gardens. The room was on the smaller side, but I travel alone so I was fine. I slept very well and found the breakfast to be quite adequate. The location was very nice, but since I can't walk a lot, I still needed a taxi to and from the gardens.

I set up a taxi to have me at the gardens when they opened and the taxi was right on time. When my poor feet were done I was able to get a taxi outside the gardens back to the hotel to rest. I was up and ready to go again around 5ish, since there were 2 more hours to enjoy the flowers. There were no taxis available because of the busy time, so I was appealing to everyone there for a way to get me back to the gardens. I was totally impressed when, after some conversations in Dutch, I was told that the delightful young man at the reception desk would be driving me there himself! That was incredible and I appreciated it more than I can say, thanks to the kindness of him and the manager, I had 2 extra hours at the spectacular gardens! This was so important for me after flying from the US to see the tulips. The only disadvantage for me was that there was not a restaurant in the hotel for a quick dinner, although there were some close by and the staff was willing to recommend them and even call to get details for me. That personal touch of so many there made all the difference in the world for me, and hopefully someday I will be returning for a wonderful repeat visit!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank trvlr8000

Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed for 1 night and chose this hotel because it was close to Keukenhof. The lobby and common area were inviting. Staff spoke perfect English and were helpful. The hotel is close to a charming little town with restaurants and shops. Parking was in front of the hotel and free. Our room was small with 2 twin beds. The furnishing were modern and the space was well laid out. There is no lift and stairs were steep. Breakfast was included and above average. It included pastries, breads, juices, coffee, tea, meats and eggs. We were able to purchase tickets to Kuekenhof at the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit Kuekenhof.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We selected this hotel because of the short walking distance to Keukenhof, and with free public parking. However, we had just spent a couple of days at Holiday Inn in Leiden, and in retrospect we should have stayed on there and just used Lisse for parking.

De Duif is a friendly hotel, but we got a very tiny room with two narrow beds. Breakfast came with the usual overboiled (and by now cold) eggs, the cheap marmelades all looked and tasted the same (even the blueberry), and the rest of the selection was not too impressive either. The breakfast maid admitted she had never tried the marmelades herself. So much for job devotion.

There were 2 Internet terminals for free use in the lobby, but they were not connected to any printer despite a sign announcing that prints would be 25 cents each. Therefore not easy to print any boarding passes. But, tobby staff was all friendly and helpful.

In the pedestrian street behind the hotel there are a number of acceptable restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We were a family of 3 adults and 1 baby so rented one of the apartments for the extra room and use of the kitchenette. The hotel's location in Lisse is very good if you want to walk to the Keukenhof Gardens and in the village. We were a bit disappointed in the accommodation: in real life, it doesn't look as good as the photos and is a little delapidated. The apartment was spacious but poorly equipped, with the kitchen in particular being in quite a bad state of repair and not containing many items we consider should have been provided as standard. For the price we were paying - EUR 200 per night - I would have expected a dishwasher, a tea towel and/or oven mitts, a hot water kettle, some bowls to eat out of, a bottle/can opener and some pots and pans for cooking, but none of this apart from some very small pans and pots were provided. The small bar fridge only has a fridge compartment, no freezer or ice-tray section. Some of the cupboard doors are quite badly damaged and hanging off their hinges. There is no washing machine either, but we were told there is one available in the main hotel for EUR3 per wash. There are lots of 'old', defunct light switches in the rooms so you have to work out which ones actually control the lights! Curiously there was a very cheap but ornate chandelier hung very low in the main bedroom, so low in fact that I kept ducking to avoid it even though I'm of average height. Eventually the inevitable happened and my husband ended up with a nasty cut on his head from the sharp edges of this monstrosity. We resorted to hanging pieces of paper from it so as to remind us to duck when walking underneath! Buffet breakfast provided in the main hotel was quite good. No reason to visit unless you want to be in the heart of Lisse and don't bother paying more for an apartment.

Room Tip: Kitchens in the apartments are almost useless unless you bring everything yourself. No washing machi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

Really liked the hotel, great location in the town and close to keukenhof!
The room was very nice and spacious for a European hotel... Easy parking and free...
Our only three down points were the overpricing of the room... €150 per night, and the maids forgot to put towels and pillow cases in our room, and lastly the radiant heat never really heated our room.
We would still come back here and try again as it was a very nice hotel and helpful staff!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank EuroEri
Reviewed April 18, 2012

If you are planning to sleep for a night to visit Keukenhof then this hotel is the one may provide you 5 mins walk to the Keukenhof.

The room is very small and can't open even 1 luggage but it's clean. my room is on 1st floor and outside the window is car park so you should request for higher floor so you may get rid of the noise.

Breakfast is ok.

Staff is very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Higher floor!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The reception and main areas of the hotel are quite welcoming but then you re directed out of the door up the dirty alleyway to another door where there are apartment-like rooms with a kitchenette and a weird mixture of furniture.
The room we had was pretty big but very dark in the alley and I would not like to stay there more than one night - there was lots of noise outside in the middle of the night from the grubby alleyway outside. In fact the Netherlands is so small and the road and train networks so good that it would be wiser to stay in a more interesting place after you have visited the Keukenhof Gardens. I wish we had tried Haarlem or gone by the sea in Noordwijk instead - although we did have a lovely meal at Op Visite on the corner of the alleyway (see other review).
Breakfast at the hotel is OK but the the only warm food was a hard boiled egg, a skinny sausage or some toast after a queue by the toaster. Beware on checkout too - my voucher from Octopus.com said all taxes paid but they asked me to pay local tax - only a few Euros but I had no cash left so had to go and get some - slightly annoying when you are ready to leave.
Overall not bad but not a treat either.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the hotel not in the suites down the alley
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisse
Hotel Restaurant De Nachtegaal
Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant De Witte Raaf
Hotel Orion
Hotel Orion
#1 of 1 in Kaag

Been to Hotel De Duif? Share your experiences!