“Lovely place”

Restaurant De Engel
Ranked #15 of 41 Restaurants in Lisse
Cuisines: Dutch, Bar, European, Pub, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely place”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Lovely place for a drink or two on a sunny day; good food; very friendly & attentive staff. Glad we found this place!!

• Visited April 2014

• Czech first
DeKalb, Illinois
“Excellent dinner in a very unassuming building”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I was staying in one of the rooms above the restaurant and decided to eat dinner at de Engel. I was not disappointed. The friendly and attentive waiter recommended some great dishes, so I started with a nice, flavorful French onion soup. My main course was a very tender and juicy steak, and, with the waiters recommendation, dessert was a chocolate mousse. Very nice meal. Decor was tasteful in modern in the restaurant, while a bit more "old school" in the bar area. Great experience. Recommended.

• Visited March 2014
scotland
“lovely restaurant”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

beautiful restaurant very modern and relaxing. The food was really lovely and the staff were so friendly and attentive.

Visited March 2014
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Awful: like stepping through a time warp”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This reminded me of the restaurants I frequently encountered when I first visited the Netherlands more than 20 years ago. In that time food in the Netherlands has improved enormously, except apparently here.

The bar area was dark, with no windows and had carpet on the tables. I don't think I've seen that for at least 10 years. So we abandoned the bar and ate in the restaurant, which at least had windows.

The lunch menu was completely uninspiring. I had an uitsmijter (bread, cheese and two fried eggs), because the pancakes being served when we arrived looked really thick and unattractive. I thought (correctly) that they couldn't make a mess of an uitsmijter. My wife had the only salad on the menu (chicken), but this turned out to be a bowl of fried (greasy) chicken served with french bread.

It was cheap, but that is the only plus point.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank TravelingCelt
Haddenham, United Kingdom
“Awful”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I went to the Engel in Lisse for lunch. My husband had the tosti xl which sounded like a variation of the ubiquitous Dutch tosti. This consisted of two pieces of bread, one covered with ham, cheese with mustard pickle all warmed under the grill. So say it looked unappetising is an understatement. He could only eat half.
I had a regular broodje gezond which was okay but the red pepper/paprika slices still had the membrane attached and the tomato slices complete with discoloured stalk.
This restaurant probably does okay because of its location but I couldn't recommend it for the food.

• Visited March 2013