“Good, but not exceptionally so (and expensive)”
Review of Royal Mandarin

Royal Mandarin
Ranked #1 of 143 Restaurants in Hilversum
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2014

+ different from your regular asian restaurant, classy look and feel, attentive staff, some very good dishes

- food quality ranging from bad to very good (and for these prices everything should be good-very good), expensive (I paid €54 with one glass of wine)

Had duck pancakes to start with (good) and holy ox prepared three different ways (very good) with fried rice (bad). The fried rice in China would be an insult to have at an expensive restaurant, but here you do need it to fill up. But the fried rice was not good, to dry and just boring.

1  Thank David B

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife don't like fish but how they make it in the royal mandaring, amazing. She eats everything and like it :-).

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Maybe for a place like Hilversum (not too much choice), this restaurant is still considered high level but I certainly do not share this opinion.
The smiling service is over the top, far too commercial and not real. The waiters are only friendly when the waiters are able 'to sell' you something. For an extra napkin I had to ask 3 times. Pity.
The food is good but certainly not as special as it used to be 4-5 years ago.
Besides that, it is less and less authentic Asian food and is becoming much too 'French'.
As I said before: Once this was a top restaurant but now it is average/good.

1  Thank MartinMVDUY
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Returned to the Royal Mandarin for what must be my 5th/6th visit. I have to say I was not disappointed. I have not written a review before for this restaurant but felt the need to do so this time because of the sheer consistency of service and quality of food. You are always made to feel like a special guest and the food is expertly and creatively prepared. Each course was presented and explained and the timings between courses were perfect. A truly pleasurable evening was had by all. I will return here again without question.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I had the great pleasure of enjoying my first diner in this restaurant with a business relation. We started out with a drink at the fireplace. We sat out for a surprise menu. Just tell the chef if there's anything you don't like and enjoy the ride. Our ride was fantastic, 7 courses of delicious food. The crew was fantastic, fast, friendly and proud in presenting their courses to us. Located in a nice house in the center of Hilversum. Beware when walking through the restaurant of the small variations in floor levels. Unique dining experience. Highly enjoyable.