“Should be "Doria Pretty Good Cafe"”
Review of Doria Grand Cafe - CLOSED

Doria Grand Cafe
Cuisines: European
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Nice ambience, handy for the main square in Haarlem so easy to find, nice to sit in and staff were attentive and prompt.

We ordered simple - 2 x Burger and Chips from the English version of the menu. The burgers were unusually large but very tasty. The bread rolls were nice - just like Scottish ones. The presentation was a bit elaborate with salad and dressings etc., but it was all good.

The chips arrived on ONE plate, for the two of us. Some may object to this but we thought it was an 'okay' idea. However, the chips were somewhere between crispy and almost burnt. Starving and in a hurry as we were, we ate them and smiled.

Be aware of the very steep (downwards) wide stairway to the toilets. Use the handrails and if you are physically challenged - go elsewhere.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I call this a lunchroom, because I had lunch here, but after 5 PM you can also order dinner or drink something and eat snacks when you go out on for example a date. You can also have parties here.

When I was here, it was 1PM, so most of the people allready ate their lunch and maybe that's why it wasn't busy when I was here. When we came, I asked where to sit and I was told I can sit everywhere I wanted. She came right away to help us. I spoiled my drink on the table and wanted a dishcloth to clean it, but she wanted to do it herself. In my oppinion that wasn't good, because the longer it was on the table the bigger chance it would spread over the table.

I ordered a sandwich and what I got was big. Unfortunatly I wasn't able to choose the sauce for the salad on the bread and I actually missed a slice of ham, but I had a whole egg, so I accepted my sandwich the way it was. The bread was from under it lightly burned. I didn't mind about the crispy hard bread, but I did taste the burn too.

3  Thank Laura N
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was a tricky restaurant to review because there were some plus points and some negative points and therefor averaging out at 3/5. The Café is conveniently situated on a square in Haarlem, right next door to a huge cathedral dominating over the area. The atmosphere is good and if you sit outside, you get a great opportunity to people watch. The food is good and service is acceptable but what pulls the place down is the mess. Some of the outside tables look like they have been erected in a dump. There is litter everywhere consisting of packaging, cigarette butts, paper and plastic. I certainly got the impression that the mess had been there for a while too so not just a gust of wind having brought it in that morning. If you can get past eating and drinking when surrounded by litter, then everything else is OK and might have pushed up my rating to a 4 rather than a 3. Also some items were not available on the drinks menu.

1  Thank NauticalVoyager
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Popped in for breakfast on a Sunday morning. Had the menu breakfast, which turned out to be a fried egg, boiled ham, cheese and lots of bread and jam. We also got a small cup of coffee. To be honest whilst it was tasty, I don't think it was worth the price tag! I think you pay for the fact that it overlooks the Main Square and you can watch the world go by. Service was good and efficient although as it got busier I think the one waitress would have struggled. There are probably better value restaurants off the square but on all a lazy Sunday experience.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

When we are in Haarlem we always have lunch at Doria. It is located at the central square that is surrounded by beautiful old buildings like the St Bavo church and the town hall. In summer you can sit outside on a nice terrace. The interior is also atmospheric.
The menu card has a good selection for lunch. The service is very friendly.
Recommended.