“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Van der Valk Hotel Haarlem
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Haarlem
Machelen, Belgium
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Regular 3* hotel. There are several buildings, and the transfer from one to the next can take some time and the use of several elevators. Very friendly personnel. restaurant OK, but not supperb.
Free parking, which in Holland is worth a lot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I didn't choose this hotel, the reservation was made for me. It's rather dated and in need of refurbishment, but this is already underway. Reception takes a while to get through the formalities if you haven't stayed at the hotel before. It can be a long walk to the room too, but when you get there these a large and quite comfortable. However they very dimly lit, with heavy dark shades over the lights. Free wifi, TV and tea/coffee making supplies are included. TV channels are mostly local Dutch and German, but a few English language channels are available (BBC and CNN). No sports channels sadly. Bathroom quite large and has a heated floor, which is nice, but a tiny shower cubicle. Try and avoid a room near the exercise studio, that blasts out loud music most of the evening. Some rooms have views of Amsterdam, others less interesting. Downstairs, the hotel bar is well stocked and the bar staff friendly. The restaurant has an excellent menu and though it seems expensive the meals have very generous servings, so is good value. Breakfast offers a very varied choice of hot and cold buffet. Restaurant staff are efficient, friendly and helpful. Haarlem centre is about a mile away, so it's not really convenient for tourists wanting to eat out locally.

Room Tip: Avoid a room near the exercise studio, which is very noisy. Try and get a room with a view towards...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jetlagged55
Sintra, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed here a while ago but found the hotel very far from the amsterdam center.
In fact, we were on a big group and they booked this for us. Would not book this hotel for myself.
Too big (i think about 300 rooms) and a bit old.
Good if you are on a budget, but be aware that you will be far from the amsterdam center (i think about 25km).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GFLX
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

The reception staff were cold and unfriendly –-although quite efficient – but not a very welcoming first impression, and things did not improve from there!
The long corridor – my room was right at the end - felt like it was part of some institution – like a hospital maybe!
The room - I booked a Junior Suite which usually tend to be quite nice - had a really strange layout - the feng shui was completely wrong! You walked straight into a long wall with the toilet behind you – into the living area and then round the corner was the bedroom and bath area (combined). To get from the bedroom to the toilet entailed walking right the way around the space even through the areas backed on to each other.
The room looked like it hadn’t been decorated since the 1970s – it was dowdy, scruffy and depressing as an environment – lots of tatty wood panelling and chairs which had gouges out of the wooden bits (arms & legs) and also looked rather dirty and uninviting.
The flat screen TV was a relic from several years ago, and I had to unplug it to plug in in my power board, as the ‘spare’ socket by the desk area contained the remnants of someone else’s broken travel plug prong ..... and was therefore U/S!
There was no mini-bar or even a fridge! However, being November and very chilly, I cooled my Perrier and Red Bull out on the terrace (which overlooked a busy road).
The room itself was cold in temperature – there were heaters but they were somewhat ineffectual! I had to ask for an extra duvet which made sleeping OK and I wrapped myself up in it when starting work early in the morning at the computer!
The ‘free’ internet was a complete joke! It was so slow if you had sent the information via a snail it would probably have reached the destination quicker! I gave up on FTP’ing large photos – (getting under 5 kb/s transfer rate) which I needed to do to meet deadlines for my job and even Emailing out a press release with medium res photos took an hour instead of around 10 – 15 minutes! I was not there long enough to see if there was a faster paid for option or if it would improve in the public areas.
I was pleased that I did not have to spend any time there other than sleep and a few hours and working first thing in the morning ….. and would definitely not stay there again.
On the internet, it looks like a funky, modern hotel with all the standard business facilities - which is the type of place I like to stay
When I checked out I noticed it had ‘special’ price written against the room – I wondered whether it was ‘special’ because it was one of their worst rooms!

Room Tip: I'm tempeed to say 'stay at another hotel' ...... but to be fair .. they simply must hav...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Location is not great, 20 mins walk into town.

Hotel is quite dated. Interior has lots of 70s wooden furniture/panels etc.

Front desk service very slow.

Room 339. Had to pay 9.95Euro for 24hr internet access, the speed was absolutely dire.

The bed had a very soft mattress.

There was no tea/coffee making in the room, or bottled water provided.

The room did not have many sockets for plugging in laptop, chargers etc

The bathroom was tired - the shower in particular.

The dining room was very strange, the red heat lamps over the hot breakfast buffet trays made the food look unappealing.

80 Euros/night might seem good value compared to other hotels, but I'd definitely pay 20 Euros extra and go into one of the central hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank MTBSteve11
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I was there in September for 2 nights and although the hotel is a bit tacky for my taste, the room was big, good service, clean room and bathroom. The breakfast was very good and had a great variety of food. The main problem was the temperature of the room, which was too hot and the AC was not working. Also, for the same price there are other hotels in that area that could offer something a bit better. For those who are willing to go to Amsterdam the hotel is very well connected, since there is a bus stop just in front of the hotel that goes to haarlem train station.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marcela A
Bemowo, Warszawa, Poland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was in the hotel twice this summer: in June and July. In June I was with the group of about 100 people, in July with the group of 200 people. We chose this facilities because it is located within convenient distance to downtown Amsterdam. My experiance with this particular hotel is basicly at level 0!!!!! Unfortunatly at my second stay in the hotel my iPad touch was stolen from my room. After I found it out I reported that to hotel reception and local police station. I also gave them a map with current location of my iPad ( thanks so app " Find my iPhone") which I thought would be very helpfull. There was a proof ( I was told by security) from hotel access card who had an access to my room. For a next couple days while I was staying in the hotel nothing was solved eighter from the hotel side as well from the police. In the mean time my parents emailed the hotel many times and there was NO RESPONCE. My parents attached to the email a map with exactly location of my iPad. After returning back home I tried to contact the hotel via email for about 2 weeks. AGAIN NO ONE contacted me back in this matter. Then my mother made couple phone calls to the hotel trying to talk to the reception, on duty manager even the head of security in the hotel. Every time she was forwarded to someone, explaining the whole issue to every single person BUT no one was able to help us out. Finally after about 3 days of trying to talk to someone my mother was able to talk to Mr.Ron De Groot hoping that the head of security will be able somehow help us out. We were informed that the official letter was sent to our home address. After couple days we have received letter from the hotel saying that we should use a safe in the guestroom and there was no unauthorized entry to the room. Then we try to talk to the hotel security couple more times with the same effects as above. We even asked to speak to hotel General Manager by sending couple emails with request to schedulle a telephone appointment but NEVER no one get back to us. CONCLUSION : I have no iPad, the hotel does NOT take any responsibilities. In my opinion the hotel response to the situation is unaccetable!!! This is NOT a treatment we are expecting from 4 star hotel. I think I gave them enought proofs to easily solve the problem and find my stolen iPad but for some reason they are avoiding me. I hope this review will be helpful for futher guests of this hotel.
Piotr

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Piotrek O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haarlem
Carlton Square Hotel
Haarlem Hotelsuites
Haarlem Hotelsuites
#6 of 12 in Haarlem
Ambassador City Centre Hotel

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Haarlem? Share your experiences!