“Tired hotel, stuck in the 70s”

Van der Valk Hotel Haarlem
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Haarlem
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Tired hotel, stuck in the 70s”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Location is not great, 20 mins walk into town.

Hotel is quite dated. Interior has lots of 70s wooden furniture/panels etc.

Front desk service very slow.

Room 339. Had to pay 9.95Euro for 24hr internet access, the speed was absolutely dire.

The bed had a very soft mattress.

There was no tea/coffee making in the room, or bottled water provided.

The room did not have many sockets for plugging in laptop, chargers etc

The bathroom was tired - the shower in particular.

The dining room was very strange, the red heat lamps over the hot breakfast buffet trays made the food look unappealing.

80 Euros/night might seem good value compared to other hotels, but I'd definitely pay 20 Euros extra and go into one of the central hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank MTBSteve11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I was there in September for 2 nights and although the hotel is a bit tacky for my taste, the room was big, good service, clean room and bathroom. The breakfast was very good and had a great variety of food. The main problem was the temperature of the room, which was too hot and the AC was not working. Also, for the same price there are other hotels in that area that could offer something a bit better. For those who are willing to go to Amsterdam the hotel is very well connected, since there is a bus stop just in front of the hotel that goes to haarlem train station.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marcela A
Bemowo, Warszawa, Poland
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was in the hotel twice this summer: in June and July. In June I was with the group of about 100 people, in July with the group of 200 people. We chose this facilities because it is located within convenient distance to downtown Amsterdam. My experiance with this particular hotel is basicly at level 0!!!!! Unfortunatly at my second stay in the hotel my iPad touch was stolen from my room. After I found it out I reported that to hotel reception and local police station. I also gave them a map with current location of my iPad ( thanks so app " Find my iPhone") which I thought would be very helpfull. There was a proof ( I was told by security) from hotel access card who had an access to my room. For a next couple days while I was staying in the hotel nothing was solved eighter from the hotel side as well from the police. In the mean time my parents emailed the hotel many times and there was NO RESPONCE. My parents attached to the email a map with exactly location of my iPad. After returning back home I tried to contact the hotel via email for about 2 weeks. AGAIN NO ONE contacted me back in this matter. Then my mother made couple phone calls to the hotel trying to talk to the reception, on duty manager even the head of security in the hotel. Every time she was forwarded to someone, explaining the whole issue to every single person BUT no one was able to help us out. Finally after about 3 days of trying to talk to someone my mother was able to talk to Mr.Ron De Groot hoping that the head of security will be able somehow help us out. We were informed that the official letter was sent to our home address. After couple days we have received letter from the hotel saying that we should use a safe in the guestroom and there was no unauthorized entry to the room. Then we try to talk to the hotel security couple more times with the same effects as above. We even asked to speak to hotel General Manager by sending couple emails with request to schedulle a telephone appointment but NEVER no one get back to us. CONCLUSION : I have no iPad, the hotel does NOT take any responsibilities. In my opinion the hotel response to the situation is unaccetable!!! This is NOT a treatment we are expecting from 4 star hotel. I think I gave them enought proofs to easily solve the problem and find my stolen iPad but for some reason they are avoiding me. I hope this review will be helpful for futher guests of this hotel.
Piotr

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Piotrek O
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2012

we booked this hotel as hotels in central Amsterdam are very expensive. This hotel is very good value for money. Breakfast was excellent and girls at reception are brilliant always ready to help. you can catch a bus just in front of hotel to reach central Amsterdam. We found a very good restaurant near the hotel India palace excellent food .

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Ljubljana
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Rooms are big and clean, breakfast is self-service, quite nice; the hotel is big and has little charm... But the main reason for giving low rates to this hotel, is the heat - the room I stayed in, was so hot, I believe it must had been over 30 °C at 22.00, even with opened balcony doors. Even though, I didn't feel comfortable with opened balcony doors during the night, since the balcony is shared for the whole floor. And beyond that, in the morning the heating system was turned on... The reception promised to fix that, but during a 4-night stay, the radiators were hot all mornings... For the amount paid for the room, I would expected at least air-condition in the room... If you must stay here, then choose a room on 2+ floor and not facing west...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kajtimar
Paris
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Buildings and the pace at the front desk are a throwback to your granddad's time, as is the decorative taste of the rooms, which are quite large. OK en route to something else, at €85 (US $110) a double without breakfast, but you can probably find more charm elsewhere for just a bit more.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Expat_road_warrior
Haarlem
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Even if the exterior of the hotel looks horrible, the interior is much better and rooms are very big and refurbished.
Wifi connection is working properly and free!
Ideal for business traveller or for a one-two nights stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank L Z
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haarlem
Carlton Square Hotel
Ambassador City Centre Hotel
Haarlem Hotelsuites
Haarlem Hotelsuites
#6 of 12 in Haarlem

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Haarlem? Share your experiences!