Ambassador City Centre Hotel
$147
  • Room Service
$186
$148
Ibis Styles Haarlem City(Haarlem)(Great Value!)
$103
$165
Priceline
TripAdvisor
BBB Haarlem(Haarlem)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgreat locationtrain stationchurch bellspeople watchingeuropean hotelsnoisy at nightnice roomrestaurants and barslight sleeperbeautiful townreception areaan easy walkbreakfast room ismain squareyogurtclockamsterdam
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The hotel should not have 3* on it's door, and the Michelin Guide Stickers on the door are obviously a mistake.

First of all, don't be fooled by their claim they have an elevator in the building! The one that exists is only in one of the hotel's 3 buildings, and even that one, only takes you to the 1st floor. I had a room on the 3rd floor. So I carried my 30 kilo suitcase up 2 flights of very narrow and steep stairs. When I left, I asked reception if they can send someone to help me bring my suitcase back down and the girl at reception shrugged and said 'it's just me and the cleaning staff here so...'

Of course, you had to go up and down the stairs every time your key card stopped working, too. Or when you wanted to buy a bottle of water from reception, because the minibar fridge in the room was unplugged and empty.

Oh, and I don't want to find out what my room in the attic is like in the hot summer, as there's no A/C, but only an electric fan next to the bed.

Breakfast was the same every day (even during the weekend), poor and not a lot of choice, with the cheapest cereal in broken dispensers, 2 types of cheese and 2 types of ham (which vanished pretty quickly and were not replaced). The hot dishes were mini-sausages, burnt bacon, scrambled eggs and rice. The decor of the breakfast room was a desolating kitsch with a golden Egyptian theme and not enough light.

I stayed 4 days and my room was never vacuumed, even the cup of coffee I used on the first night never got washed until I left the hotel 4 days later. They made the bed and swept the bathroom floor, but that's about it.

The bathroom had a shower head on a wall, no shower enclosure of any sort (no glass pane, no curtain, nothing), so every time I showered I had to take everything out of the bathroom, otherwise it would have gotten wet.

The staff were completely unprepared and unwilling to help. Shrugged at almost anything. I witnessed a discussion between a couple on honeymoon who had specifically booked a room with a double bed, and got a twin room instead, and the receptionist who kept telling them it's too late to do anything about it now and then asking them: anything else that I can do for you? I wanted to smack him myself....

The location of the hotel is the best thing about it, so if you want to be within walking distance from anything of any importance in Haarlem, it's a good choice. All the clubs, bars, restaurants, sight and shops are right around the corner from the hotel, as is Haarlem's Red Light District. And their collection of antiques is stunning. But that doesn't mean they earn the 3 stars they advertise!

Room Tip: Make sure the elevator goes to the level on which your room is!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

The staff were very helpful, breakfast was good, and the room was clean and the location is great! This is a great place for a weekend get away, but beware of the parking if you travel by car, there are plenty of places to park but it isn't ever cheap!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked this hotel just a couple of days before our arrival and were very pleasantly surprised at our good luck. The hotel is in a great part of town, right across the street from a wonderful 15th century church and steps from the main market square. Our room was on the first floor and just looked out at a patio, no view at all, but it was more than adequate, and very quiet. We did not sign up for the breakfast, preferring instead to go to local tea houses. We were very pleased we made that decision. Most hotels provide breakfast, thereby not allowing us the opportunity to try local eateries for breakfast (why pay when you can get it for free?).

The staff was very pleasant, providing us with complete and clear directions to anywhere we wanted to go, including the bike rental shop to rent bikes for a ride to the beach (the North Sea). I would highly, highly, highly recommend that activity! The entire ride is on dedicated bike paths, and being the Netherlands, pretty flat. Very easy and pleasant ride. That took about half a day as we spent some time at the beach just enjoying the water and people watching.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We booked this hotel through expedia as we needed somewhere to crash overnight. When we arrived expedia had cancelled our booking without informing us so the hotel had no record of our booking. The manager was very helpful and apologetic and found us a room. He even discounted it from the already discounted price we had been quoted by expedia. The hotel is nothing special but the service was great

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This centrally located Haarlem hotel barely earns its three stars. The lobby is fun with its collection of clocks, and the dining room interesting with its, what, Greek-themed? frescoes. The place is clean but asterile. No European charm whatever. The staff is young and green but they do their best. The breakfast is cooked with only minimal concern for quality. If you stay in a courtyard room you can be sure to hear the echo of every voice and every suitcase rolled through. While the place is well-intended, I would not stay again, especially when many other more charming facilities (including VRBO rentals) are available around the same price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends