“Dingy but Convenient”
Review of Hotel Amadeus

Hotel Amadeus
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Haarlem
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Despite brightly painted small rooms, the hotel seemed old and rundown for the price I paid. Probaby there are better choices, especially in the off-season. Breakfast room is nice. Front-desk person rather creepily kept asking me to pay for my whole stay in advance. Desk and chair in the room is outdoor plastic lawn vintage, but this was the first european hotel room I stayed in that didn't smell like an ashtray.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Sidavouq
There are newer reviews for Hotel Amadeus

Reviewed August 7, 2009

The location couldn't be more central: right in the main market square of Haarlem. Overall I'm satisifed with staying here. I was given a room facing the back, which made it quiet (something I want -- I want a quiet room). The front of the hotel faces the square (with a cafe right under it) so those rooms might possibly be more noisy, but from what I was given I was happy. Room is a little old but just fine. Comfortable bed, TV with cable, shower. Breakfast the next morning was ok. There's internet access for a small fee (two terminals, I think it was E1 for 30 mins if I remember right). Reception closes at 8pm (and they won't answer their phone after 8pm if you're calling to enquire about making a reservation or anything, call back the next day), but there's an intercom to reach someone after 8pm if there are any problems (there weren't). Nothing fancy, but great location, decent room, nice staff. They let me drop off my bags before the room was ready so I could go out exploring. Room rate was OK. I'd stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank misterlar
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Fantastic location - Fairly basic accomodation-small, but very friendly staff. Good breakfast. Would recommend it for a couple but not a large family.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank benny43
Reviewed February 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this smallish hotel for a nice fall trip for relaxation. Our room was quiet and clean. The breakfast spread was terrific, a nice change from most European hotel buffets complete with meats, cheeses and breads, jams and jellies, teas and coffee. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful, even getting us a reservation at the restaurant Julia (YUM) close by for an unforgettable dinner! The square is scenic and Haarlem is a great place to stay outside Amsterdam with convenient travel to the big city. We recently tried to book a reservation at another Haarlem hotel with disastrous results. Stay here! It is great!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2008

Stayed in a triple which is next to the hotel above L'Anders restaurant with my husband and 9 year old son. Room was basic but big and bright. Breakfast was good. I loved that the hotel was right above the square so husband and I could sit outside and have dessert and a drink and son could read in the room and was perfectly safe. Contrary to the previous posters review I found the staff nice and helpful. The manager came back on this moped on a Sunday night after my husband misplaced out room key. I really enjoyed our stay in Haarlem and will return someday.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Our experience at the Hotel Amadeus was mixed. Our room was clean and reasonably quiet. The bathroom, although quite small, was adequate. The free breakfast buffet was good and included cereal, basic meats and cheeses, and a variety of rolls. However, it was difficult to get more than one cup of coffee or tea. After reading positive reviews of the hotel’s staff, we were quite disappointed by their lack of helpfulness. One staff member was not even able to direct us towards a pharmacy. Also, the hotel tells you that there is one flight of steps up to the hotel’s lobby from which an elevator can be used. In actuality, it is two flights of steps to the lobby, likely without any help to carry luggage. Although we were not thrilled by the hotel, the price was right for a location on the square, and we would definitely consider staying at the Hotel Amadeus in the future.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank froyo10
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Haarlem is a beautiful small city close to Amsterdam. The compact city centre is best explored on foot, and it's also a great base from which to explore other parts of Noord-Holland. The NS railway station is a 10 minute walk to the north, and the location is unparalleled: right on the south side of Grote Markt, with a great view onto the busy city square from either the front bedrooms or the high ceilinged breakfast room / lobby on the first floor.

Haarlem has a dearth of cheap city centre accommodation. Any Haarlemers with a big city centre townhouse should seriously consider a budget hostel to rival the town's only really cheap option - the StayOkay which is some distance away in the northern suburbs. I'd read cautious reviews of that option, and chosen to pay a bit more (€130 / 2 nights, high season weekend) to be in the city centre.

The hotel is above a café - although there's a lift between the first, second and third floors, it would appear you have to climb at least one set of stairs to enter. Check in was easy and I purchased wireless internet for €5/24hours, although this is still working well into my second day. The entire hotel was Haarlem's first non-smoking one, although by the time you probably read this (after 1 July 2008) a national smoking ban will be in effect.

My room (34) is a single on the top floor (and has already been photographed by another reviewer here). While I appreciate that few hotel rooms have windows on two sides of the building for cross ventilation, being a narrower room on the west side of the top floor, the large window turned the room into an oven during the second half of the summer days. An oscillating fan purloined from an alcove down the corridor helped. The single bed was ok, but an annoying shelf above the bed meant one couldn't lean against the wall to watch the small TV (with Dutch, German and a couple of British channels). There's also a phone and an in-room combination safe, which will look after all but the biggest laptops.

There is no night staff in the building; access is with a key card and there's an emergency phone contact if there are problems. Late arrivals can arrange (with prior warning) to collect their key card from a combination lock box. Breakfast is included and is expansive with cereals, yoghurt, breads, meat, cheese etc.

So, overall, ok, but verging on being too expensive, mainly due to Haarlem's lack of budget accommodation. Those with limited mobility would probably find the stairs a problem.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo