“Quite and good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Tulip Lion D'Or

Golden Tulip Lion D'Or
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Haarlem
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Quite and good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The hotel is 45 mins away from the airpot, close to the metro station and bus station. train to Amsterdaam city centre takes only 25mins from the hotel. staff is friendly and helpful. breakfast was really good and there was a lot of options. the room was huge and clean. enough tv channels. Bar lounge in hotel. Def going to stay at this hotel next time i visit Holland.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
The West Country
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of days and was not sure what to expect. The location is very good as it is adjacent to central station, bus station and taxis. It is a ten minute walk to the market square, shops and restaurants. Check in was friendly and efficient. The decor in the public spaces looks a little old and somewhat gloomy. However, the rooms are clean and comfortable with free wi-fi. I liked this hotel as it had something of a family feel to it. So, if you can get past the public area decor I think you will have a comfortable and welcoming stay. Only had breakfast at the hotel which was satisfactory. For a business traveller it is situated in a great location, priced well with friendly and efficient staff. Recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TheWestCountryNomad
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I arrived by bus ( Zuid Tangent nr.300) with a direct connection from Schiphol airport till the front of the hotel. The hotel does look very attractive from the outside already. Located on the border of the city center and 10 minutes by train from the Amsterdam city center.
My room is very well maintained, clean and air conditioned. Bathroom really up top date.
Best place to stay and to see some more from The Netherlands. Staff really very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is an experience!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the front can be noisier if there is something special at the Station square.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank richard_fenger
Hilton Head, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel is really a 3 1/2, but not quite a 4. The rooms are small, but clean. The bathroom was decently equipped and also clean. Windows opened for fresh air. Breakfast was excellent and the dinner we ate there was also good. It is well located on a large square, very near the train station and underground bike parking lot. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fatz2fly
Amersham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I've waited a while before writing this in case my thoughts and feelings changed - however they haven't.

I travel to Haarlem regularly but, until this year, hadn't tried this hotel. It's in a really good position as you can almost fall out of the station and into the hotel. It's a bit quieter than the hotels in the town centre which is about 10 minutes' walk away.

I arrived on a very hot July day after a long and convoluted rail journey. I knew it was too early for my room but asked if there was somewhere I could change and cool down as I was going out straight away. I was directed to the Ladies' toilets. This was hopeless as there wasn't even room to open my suitcase let alone trying to change clothes in a toilet cubicle so I gave up. I left my luggage with them and went out for the day.

When I returned in the evening, I was told my luggage was taken up to my room which I thought was nice of them. My room was tiny, which was OK for one person, right up the top of the hotel (there's a lift) looking out over the station square. However it only had a shower. Their website specifically stated that all superior rooms had baths so I had particularly booked one, paying extra, as I need a bath, not a shower, to help my back. I went straight down to reception to be told that there were no spare rooms though there may be one the next night. I tried to explain that I had booked and paid for a superior room so I should have got a room with a bath but she seemed not to understand. I said not to bother about moving the next day for one night as I was too upset by the situation.

I would like to say that the reception people were really pleasant, it's just that they seemed unable to help.

Breakfast was good with a reasonable selection in a pleasant room overlooking the square.

The hotel is probably a bit better than I remember but I felt so let down over the room that it's coloured my impressions and I shall be going back to the town centre for my next visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
GTLiondor, Front Office Manager at Golden Tulip Lion D'Or, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
We are so sorry to read the comment in this review and fully understand the disappointment of our guest. The guest did not get what she paid for and this is unacceptable. At that specific moment, late in the evening, it may have been impossible to offer a room with a bath, However, this remains the responsability of the hotel. The guest indicates she is a regular visitor to Haarlem. We have her mail address and will invite her for a complimentary overnight stay in our hotel to make up for all previous inconvenience.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I found this hotel to be in a great location if you are visiting Amsterdam and want to stay out of the city. The hotel is in the square of the Haarlem train station. It is 15 minutes by train away from the central station in Amsterdam. The breakfast is included in the price and the manager, Dirk is very knowledgeable. The rooms are fairly large and updated. It is also more convenient to stay closer to the train station because the center of town is very congested. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rasel11
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I am surprised to read other reviews of this hotel saying that the rooms had been recently renovated. Maybe they skipped my room! The doors were all scratched and paint on the walls was dirty. My room had two old, saggy tin mattresses pushed together. My back was killing me by the 2nd day. Location across from the train station was convenient and breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the ally behind the hotel, and it was pretty quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business