“Nice hotel for Haarlem visit”
Review of Hotel Lion D'Or

Hotel Lion D'Or
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Haarlem
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel is really a 3 1/2, but not quite a 4. The rooms are small, but clean. The bathroom was decently equipped and also clean. Windows opened for fresh air. Breakfast was excellent and the dinner we ate there was also good. It is well located on a large square, very near the train station and underground bike parking lot. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fatz2fly
There are newer reviews for Hotel Lion D'Or

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I've waited a while before writing this in case my thoughts and feelings changed - however they haven't.

I travel to Haarlem regularly but, until this year, hadn't tried this hotel. It's in a really good position as you can almost fall out of the station and into the hotel. It's a bit quieter than the hotels in the town centre which is about 10 minutes' walk away.

I arrived on a very hot July day after a long and convoluted rail journey. I knew it was too early for my room but asked if there was somewhere I could change and cool down as I was going out straight away. I was directed to the Ladies' toilets. This was hopeless as there wasn't even room to open my suitcase let alone trying to change clothes in a toilet cubicle so I gave up. I left my luggage with them and went out for the day.

When I returned in the evening, I was told my luggage was taken up to my room which I thought was nice of them. My room was tiny, which was OK for one person, right up the top of the hotel (there's a lift) looking out over the station square. However it only had a shower. Their website specifically stated that all superior rooms had baths so I had particularly booked one, paying extra, as I need a bath, not a shower, to help my back. I went straight down to reception to be told that there were no spare rooms though there may be one the next night. I tried to explain that I had booked and paid for a superior room so I should have got a room with a bath but she seemed not to understand. I said not to bother about moving the next day for one night as I was too upset by the situation.

I would like to say that the reception people were really pleasant, it's just that they seemed unable to help.

Breakfast was good with a reasonable selection in a pleasant room overlooking the square.

The hotel is probably a bit better than I remember but I felt so let down over the room that it's coloured my impressions and I shall be going back to the town centre for my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
GTLiondor, Front Office Manager at Hotel Lion D'Or, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

We are so sorry to read the comment in this review and fully understand the disappointment of our guest. The guest did not get what she paid for and this is unacceptable. At that specific moment, late in the evening, it may have been impossible to offer a room with a bath, However, this remains the responsability of the hotel. The guest indicates she is a regular visitor to Haarlem. We have her mail address and will invite her for a complimentary overnight stay in our hotel to make up for all previous inconvenience.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I found this hotel to be in a great location if you are visiting Amsterdam and want to stay out of the city. The hotel is in the square of the Haarlem train station. It is 15 minutes by train away from the central station in Amsterdam. The breakfast is included in the price and the manager, Dirk is very knowledgeable. The rooms are fairly large and updated. It is also more convenient to stay closer to the train station because the center of town is very congested. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rasel11
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I am surprised to read other reviews of this hotel saying that the rooms had been recently renovated. Maybe they skipped my room! The doors were all scratched and paint on the walls was dirty. My room had two old, saggy tin mattresses pushed together. My back was killing me by the 2nd day. Location across from the train station was convenient and breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the ally behind the hotel, and it was pretty quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cmonteFlorida
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were three friends - got a huge room, a lot of space, one bath and an extra toilet, nice room for relaxing, but we spent the time - evening and morning- in the city of Haarlem, walking from the hotel straight into the shopping street and to the old city center. Easy parking near by in the public parking house.
Pleasant breakfast room, nice food and service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BjorgDagny
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel is perfectly situated, it's located in the really lovely sedate town of Haarlem with the added benefit of a relaxed 15 minute train ride into the busy city of Amsterdam.
An easy and relaxed bus ride to and from the airport made this city break even better.

Hotel is quite basic but very nice - just what you need as you aren't spending too much time in the hotel. Very good selection at breakfast, we didn't eat an evening meal so don't know how good that was - we tried nearby restaurants. Staff were all very nice and helpful.
The only thing I can think of that was a down point (and I am really trying to think) is there wasn't any air conditioning in the breakfast restaurant, which would have been beneficial as we were lucky enough to have fantastic weather - apart from that I can't think of anything else.

You must try cycling to the coast from Haarlem - this is well worth it! About a 30 minute cycle ride very easy and relaxing, also around Haarlem itself. Also try cycling around Amsterdam you can see so much more.

We also did an open top boat trip around the canals of Amsterdam - 'blue boat trips' which was on a smaller scale and more personnel and not the big glass covered boats which were less intermit and bigger.

All in all we had a very good trip and we would use this hotel again - Enjoy you're holiday.

Room Tip: We didn't have a choice of room, but we were very happy with the room we were given, good shower...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheMoonandback
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at the Golden Tulip Lion D'Or for one night due to the proximity to an office.

The hotel is dated, the room was very large but faced the train station therefore was awfully bright at night due to the outside lights. The bed was awful - very soft and narrow.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business