“Great beer”

Jopenkerk
Ranked #3 of 322 Restaurants in Haarlem
Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A regional Brewery with all kinds of beer from their own brewery. You can go for a drink, for lunch and dinner, all 'honest' products, Dutch cuisine with a nice authentic touch!
somerset
“Great beer”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Just popped in for a drink so did not taste the food. The building is beautiful with wonderful stained glass windows. They brew some great beer, a couple 9% so be careful how many you have. Downstairs is much nicer than the upstairs area. Staff very helpful. They have music some evenings.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank wildswimmer2010

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
“Great beer in a medieval church.”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

This place has great beers brewed on site. It's located in a medieval church that's being put to better use as a brewery. There's a plaza in front with tables for when the weather is good. I didn't eat here so I can't comment on the food. Friendly service, for Europe.

Victoria, Canada
“A Near Religious Experience”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

After visiting the Grote Kerk (st. Bavo's Church) we went to Jopenkerk. The latter was for us a greater religious experience! The brewpub is in a converted church - it has been beautifully made over. No sooner were we inside than we were adopted by a friendly waitress. First she reviewed the 16 beers on tap, giving us samples to help us settle on our favourites. I chose the Mooie Nel IPA, which was superb. My wife tried their award winning wheat beer and declared it extremely tasty.

Once the beer situation was settled our gal reviewed them menu with us (she couldn't lay hands on an English version) . I had an open faced pastrami sandwich and my wife a Dutch style croquette with a side salad.

Lunch and beer for the two of us was €25.00. The atmosphere was great and it was a most pleasant afternoon.

San Francisco
“Great service, unique atmosphere and good food”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

For one thing, we had the nicest server who introduced us to the beers that Jopen makes and took time to make recommendations based on our personal preferences. There were about a dozen beers to choose from, many of which were quite unique.

The lunch menu is fairly small, but the duck sandwich I got was excellent, and my wife's burger was good but not great.

The restaurant itself is worth seeing - there's something about the combination of brewing vats and stained glass that makes me very happy.

This place is definitely worth the walk from the Grote Markt!

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“If only all churches had beer on tap...”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

A short train ride from Amsterdam, my sister and I visited Jopenkerk during our recent summer trip to Europe. This was by far my favorite brewpub experience. The actual location is awesome as it is situated in a repurposed church. They offer upstairs, downstairs and terrace seating. The tanks look really shiny; someone must be really tired of polishing those :) They also have private rooms for special ocasions and food and beer pairing dinners.

The terrace is HUGE and the atmosphere out there was very enjoyable. My sister and I had burgers from their menu, which were really juicy and savory. We ordered a flight of beer samples (which are quite generous, in my opinion) and really enjoyed all but one of the styles (dunkel weizen is just not my thing). I later ordered a bottle of an almost extinct beer style which has been brought back by Jopen, Gratzer. Also had their barleywine and Black IPA.

Servers are well-informed and polite but casual. Great experience from wherever you look at it. Will definitely go back next time we're in Holland.

• Visited July 2013