All reviewssteep stairsfirst flooraround the cornerrailway stationapartmentluggage
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Rieneke is a wonderful host..our room was very quiet and comfortable. Great location and easy walk to city square, shops, restaurants ...a quiet retreat after busy days of sightseeing! Sumptuous breakfast!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohanPittsburgh
Reviewed June 10, 2012

As we had a car, Haarlem was ideal, no messing with Amsterdam traffic. And what a little gem of a place to stay! Rieneke was fantastic and goes above and beyond to help with your questions and needs. I was surprised and delighted that breakfast was brought to our charming apartment every morning. It was a great bonus to have a lovely patio overflowing with flowers to unwind with a glass of beer or wine after a full days' adventure into Amsterdam or the countryside. Reineke rents a couple of apartments near Where Els and we had the one next door. We spent 4 nights and it began feeling alot like home...highly recommend a stay here and would love to return someday.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Rieneke and her helper were fantastic.
Location of the place is fantastic.
Price is slightly higher comparing to Mya B&B but it comes with a proper good bathroom.

However the bathroom in our room still had a down side which is that it's right next to the breakfast room. So other guests can hear you in the morning while they are having breakfast and you are in your bathroom. This is only the bedroom at the front of the ground floor.

The washing machine and dryer are located on the ground floor in the hallway (which in my opinion could be neater), if you are sleeping in the room i was given, you can hear the machines working and it seems there is no curfew when the last load should be loaded. If you are sensitive to noise when sleeping, it might annoy you. Or you can tell the host, I am sure Rieneke will sort it out if it becomes a problem.

I also got woken up by the sound from the water pipping (running through the room) in the middle of the night, i am sensitive to even the low frequency noise. My partner had no problem with it (he is bit insensitive to noise at night - deaf).

Rieneke might want to consider putting "number" at the room door, a very curious guest tried to open my door several times, probably thinking it's a reading room or kitchen behind the door.

But the service is so good, i might return, requesting for a different room. My partner is not a B&B person, he might reject the idea and just check into a standard chain hotel. Be prepared to chit chat with other very friendly travelers (usually from the States/Canada), that's life of staying at a B&B.

Room Tip: Avoid the "big room" which we stayed in unless you don't care other people hearing your "business" while in the toilet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Rieneke, Manager at Wherels, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for your review. You are right of course. We've changed this door into a massive door. The bathroom is now noiseless to the room in the front (the breakfast room). So other guests can't hear you anymore in the morning while they are having breakfast and you are in your bathroom.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stayed for a couple of weeks in this great b&b. Nice rooms, Nice people, very clean. The breakfast is very tasteful, always om time. Located in the centre of Haarlem. You can walk to all the nice restaurants and musea from here. i truly enjoyed my stay here and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I'm from Canada and visited my sister in Cheltenham, England in September 2011. We had a weekend visit to Amsterdam (Sept. 9-12) and stayed at Wherels, a friendly and welcoming B&B owned by Rieneke Post. My sister and I were very pleased with the sumptuous breakfast we had for three mornings . Wherels B&B is truly a "home away from home" with all the comforts of home. Haarlem is just as lovely a place to visit as Amsterdam with so much history.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family