All reviewssteep stairsfirst flooraround the cornerrailway stationapartmentluggage
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Rieneke and her helper were fantastic.
Location of the place is fantastic.
Price is slightly higher comparing to Mya B&B but it comes with a proper good bathroom.

However the bathroom in our room still had a down side which is that it's right next to the breakfast room. So other guests can hear you in the morning while they are having breakfast and you are in your bathroom. This is only the bedroom at the front of the ground floor.

The washing machine and dryer are located on the ground floor in the hallway (which in my opinion could be neater), if you are sleeping in the room i was given, you can hear the machines working and it seems there is no curfew when the last load should be loaded. If you are sensitive to noise when sleeping, it might annoy you. Or you can tell the host, I am sure Rieneke will sort it out if it becomes a problem.

I also got woken up by the sound from the water pipping (running through the room) in the middle of the night, i am sensitive to even the low frequency noise. My partner had no problem with it (he is bit insensitive to noise at night - deaf).

Rieneke might want to consider putting "number" at the room door, a very curious guest tried to open my door several times, probably thinking it's a reading room or kitchen behind the door.

But the service is so good, i might return, requesting for a different room. My partner is not a B&B person, he might reject the idea and just check into a standard chain hotel. Be prepared to chit chat with other very friendly travelers (usually from the States/Canada), that's life of staying at a B&B.

Room Tip: Avoid the "big room" which we stayed in unless you don't care other people hearing your "business" while in the toilet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Rieneke, Manager at Wherels, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for your review. You are right of course. We've changed this door into a massive door. The bathroom is now noiseless to the room in the front (the breakfast room). So other guests can't hear you anymore in the morning while they are having breakfast and you are in your bathroom.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stayed for a couple of weeks in this great b&b. Nice rooms, Nice people, very clean. The breakfast is very tasteful, always om time. Located in the centre of Haarlem. You can walk to all the nice restaurants and musea from here. i truly enjoyed my stay here and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I'm from Canada and visited my sister in Cheltenham, England in September 2011. We had a weekend visit to Amsterdam (Sept. 9-12) and stayed at Wherels, a friendly and welcoming B&B owned by Rieneke Post. My sister and I were very pleased with the sumptuous breakfast we had for three mornings . Wherels B&B is truly a "home away from home" with all the comforts of home. Haarlem is just as lovely a place to visit as Amsterdam with so much history.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank graces45
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed in Haarlem two nights in July 2011. We booked two rooms, one for my wife, son (3 years old) and myself, and a second for my parents. We wanted a location outside Amsterdam that was close enough to commute, we were driving and didn't want the hassle of having to figure out driving and parking in Amsterdam itself. The Wherels was ranked highest on TripAdvisor and that, in combination with a fair and competitive price, led us to book here.

We booked both downstairs rooms (I believe they have 4 rooms total), one of which came with a kitchen and both shared a terrace where we could sit in the evenings and chat while my son slept soundly in our room.

Rieneke set us up with both rooms downstairs and while she was not around during our stay, Warta, her assistant was, and she was fantastic. Finding the Wherels is a challenge, it might be advisable to really nail down the directions from the train station or with the car before arriving, because if you don't you may not find it. We parked in a nearby pay parking lot (€2,65hr) and walked the rest of the distance. Upon arrival Warta told us where we could find free parking and came with me, got in the car and personally made sure we found the parking lot where we could park and walked back with us to make sure we didn't get lost, this was above and beyond the level of service I have ever received from a hotel/overnight. It was a bit far to the free parking, so we were glad to have Warta help us out.

We were greeted to a charming B&B that was more than adequate for our needs. It was clean and comfortable and made a nice base of operations for exploring Haarlem and was not too far from the train station to explore Amsterdam. We found complimentary mixed nuts waiting for us along with chilled wine, beer, juice and water in the refrigerator which was just available for the taking without us paying mini bar charges (another perk I have never seen before) which we certainly appreciated. In the bathroom there was an assortment of liquid soaps, shampoos and towels which is something that you should not expect in every European hotel. We needed nothing other than the clothes in our suitcases to have an enjoyable stay. All in all we had a great time and found we enjoyed Haarlem itself, more charming, beautiful and enjoyable for a short stay than Amsterdam (though Amsterdam certainly has much more to offer when it comes to museums and the like).

As a side note, I would recommend not trying to drive in Haarlem or Amsterdam if you can avoid it. It is just easier to do everything on foot and with public transport. Driving is complicated and confusing, even in the smaller town of Haarlem.

All in all:
+ Price was fair in comparison to other hotels/ B&Bs in area.
+ Haarlem is a quaint location to explore and enjoy.
+ Complimentary drinks in fridge and snacks on arrival.
+ Extraordinarily friendly service
+ Close (10min walk) to train station

- Parking in Haarlem (and Amsterdam) is atrocious €2,65hr most places, free parking is a good 20 minute walk from the Wherels.
- Somewhat tricky location to find, but once you do, this is no longer a problem.
- May be a bit sleepy for people seeking a high energy location.
- Breakfast room may feel a bit cramped for larger groups (5+)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Heyfrito500
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Really enjoyed our stay and would thoroughly recommend. Reneke was more than helpful. Breakfast, taken in the room as there is no dining room, is brought to you on trays, at exactly the time that suits you. They were delicious. A full and generous continental breakfast. The room was somewhat cluttered, therefore not much storage space.
Just a couple of things you need to think about; access - we were in the room at the top of the house and the stairs are very, very steep. There are rooms on the ground floor; parking - the public car park is only a few minutes walk from the house but is expensive (relatively), you can park for free further away but this is a good 20 minute walk and in an area of town that isn't 'too desirable', I was always worried about leaving the car in that area but have to say it suffered no damage or mishap at all.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple