All reviews steep stairs first floor around the corner railway station apartment luggage
Reviewed July 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed in Renieke's one-bedroom flat for four nights, June 25 thru June 28, 2011. I can attest to everything positive reported about Where Els in previous reviews. Renieke even provided us with red wine and a refrigerator stocked with local beer, white wine, and bottled water! Actually, Renieke bade us goodbye in advance of our actual departure day, but before leaving, she ensured our revised breakfast time was met and gave us her telephone number in case we needed to contact her. We had no problem with her not being in the house every moment of every day. In fact, we were so well cared for, having the place virtually to ourselves was sort of nice. We will return to Haarlem. It is a wonderful city. When we do, we will book our travel around the availability of Where Els.

Room Tip: Ask for the back bedroom, ground floor or front bedroom, ground floor
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MickeyD2011
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We booked our 7-night stay at Where Els B&B four months in advance after reading all of the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. Reineke, the proprietor, was every bit as nice and accommodating as fellow travelers have described. When I told her about my Dutch ancestry, she really went above and beyond by providing me a link to a Dutch geneaology site that listed my American relatives! Reineke was able to arrange for ultra-low cost bike rental (ask about OV Feits).
We really enjoyed staying at her place. With all the nice touches she provided, as well as the wonderful breakfasts, drinks, patio, refrigerator and kitchen, it felt very much like home!

Room Tip: There are two rooms available. One is larger and very suitable for couples and families. The smaller room includes a jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JLGranger
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We booked the two bedroom apartment for three nights. It was expensive as we paid for both bedrooms, but we knew this and that it was going to meet our needs. 718 Euros for three nights.
Both bedrooms were comfortable and clean. The bathrooms were clean and had "many extras" available, ex. robes, body washes, shampoos.
We were received well plus the kitchen had fresh fruit, nuts, tea etc. In the refrigerator was bottled water. Also available to us was the washer/dryer. We did use it and it was great.
The next morning (day two) we were provided with a typical dutch breakfast..egg, meat, cheese and bread along with coffee, tea and juice. This was fine and as we had expected.
When we returned we needed to speak to the hostess, there was no answer on several attempts by ringing her house bell and when we entered "our door" mail was laying all over the floor.
The day prior departure again we tried to contact the the hostess with no such luck. She had made arrangements with a "friend" to ensure breakfast was prepared. Our reason for the contact was to pay the lady and request an earlier breakfast on departure day. We did leave the money owing with her "friend".
After our day out we were unable to contact anyone again.
I decided to leave a note on the breakfast table that evening and hoped that she would find it when she had returned. But, she never returned to see the note.
Departure day...we needed to have breakfast at 0800 so after getting dressed I waited in the breakfast room for someone to "show up". Her friend arrived with groceries and she again was going to prepare and serve the breakfast. In her broken English she said that she was told we wanted breakfast at 0830. So, she rushed around trying to put it together including making a fruit salad. She did her best but this was "only satisfactory" and it seemed that everything was being thrown on the table.
Had we been able to make contact this could have been avoided.
I have stayed in many B&B's and have never experienced a situation like this.
In ways we were provided comfortable accommodation but by the host not being available for two days I have rated this poorly.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank emmahayley
Rieneke, Manager at Wherels, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

Thank you for your review. You were right. I poorly organized a professional hostess during the 2 days I had to attend a wedding. Thank you for making this clear. My blackberry has been repaired again (it felt like the law of Murphy) and my new help is living around the corner. You can call me at any time on 0031 6 50212418. Warm regards.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We had a wonderful stay and loved the room and the amazing breakfasts. Rieneke is just lovely and she provided us with great information. Her dinner recommendations were perfect for us - we ate twice at Bruxelles and had a very memorable meal at Spaarne 66. Sauna Van Egmond was enjoyable and relaxing - perfect for a rainy day. On the one sunny day, we did take a bike ride through the dunes to the beach - just gorgeous.

The room we stayed in was at the top of two sets of somewhat steep stairs, but it had a fun, cozy, eclectic feel to it. The bathroom is separated by just a curtain, but that didn't bother us. In the bathroom, you'll find all sorts of lotions, shampoo, etc. There's also a real hairdryer, not one of those small, noisy things, as well as other useful tools.

We thought the location was very good - easy to get to the main plaza as well as the bus station. We mostly walked around but the few times we needed to go somewhere further, taking a bus was easy.

I would definitely recommend this B&B and if we ever return, wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PeaksGirl
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed at this B&B from April 29-May 2, 2011. It was a perfect place to stay in Haarlem--in a quiet location in the old city. It had the typical steep stairs of most all Dutch buildings, but this adds to the charm. The breakfasts were great--a terrific assortment of items as per the Dutch tradition. The owner, Rieneke Post, was very helpful in assisting us with rentals of the 2 bikes from Rent a Bike Haarlem for our one-month long bike trip around the Netherlands. She also provided us with helpful information about area restaurants and things to see and do in Haarlem. We recommend this location highly for anyone spending a few days in Haarlem.
Stan and Kim Binnie