“Not Sure What to Make of This”

The Corrie ten Boom House
Ranked #1 of 88 things to do in Haarlem
Reviewed October 27, 2006

The reviews so far range from "disgraceful" to "wonderful". Mine is somehwere in between. The house provides an interesting insight into life under the Nazis but I felt the guide, who told stories of Corrie ten Boom and her family, was not as objective as she might have been and was constantly putting her own religious spin on the stories. At times I felt uncomfortable with this and I felt at times she might burst into prayer which, for me, is definitely not what I want.

Some of the small group on the tour were clearly inspired at this religious nonsense as they were seen nodding sagely whenever, for example, the guide referred to miracles which had taken place in Belsen such as Corrie Ten Boom being able to smuggle in a Bible.

We were expected to be inspired that the Ten Boom family had held prayer meetings in the 1930's praying for peace in Jerusalem. I resisted the temptation to point out that their prayers had had little effect.

My advice is go to the Ten Boom museum with an open mind as there are some very good points about it. But if you're offended by those who evangelize then you might want to think twice.

8  Thank R1chard
in 7 reviews

A TripAdvisor Member
Kingsport, TN
Reviewed April 20, 2006

I have loved the story of the Hiding Place for many years. I'm Dutch by background but had never visited the Netherlands until last month. My husband, who has been several times for business, had a few ideas. The Rijksmuseum? The Keukenhof gardens? Well, those sounded great, but the one place I really longed to see was Haarlem, and Corrie ten Boom's house.

I got there early, and as we waited, I was a little worried. What if it couldn't live up to my expectations and was a disappointment? I'm happy to say that it was even better than I had hoped for. Our tour guide was wonderful. She told stories about the ten Booms for almost an hour and a half. My only disappointment was that much of the house is not open, but we saw the living room, the dining room, Corrie's bedroom, and the narrow area where four bedrooms used to be. I left in tears of gratitude that God had allowed me to see this very special place to me in person.

If you go, don't miss going to the Grote Market and St. Bavo's church around the corner. VERY well worth seeing as well. I hadn't read In My Father's House before we went to Haarlem, but have since and was interested to read that the side entrance where the little gift shop is now used to be the entrance that she used to visit her cousin, who lived in the little house attached to the cathedral. It mentions those lovely blue tiles.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 10, 2005

When I learned our travels included two nights in Amsterdam, this house became one of our "must see" destinations! Corrie ten Boom has been a great inspiration to me and I was thrilled to be able to experience a part of her life. The home is just a block or two from the charming public square and an historic cathedral.

6  Thank adriennelyn
Reviewed July 4, 2005

Looking for an "Ann Frank" experience in Haarlem, we mistakenly went to the house. I have not been this upset in a long time. We were closed up in a room and evangelized to. To use the dead Jews of the Holocaust as a lure for evangelism is the ultimate, disgusting irony. Shame on the foundation.

8  Thank djsarver
See more reviews
A TripAdvisor Member
Waterdown, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2004

Having met Corrie ten Boom when I was a young teen, I was thrilled to visit the Corrie ten Boom house in Haarlem. I had seen "The Hiding Place", and read that book, as well as others written by and about Corrie.

The story comes alive as you sit in her livingroom and hear the details of the life of the ten Boom family. From the days before the Nazi occupation of Holland, through that dreadful time and later, in the concentration camp, the story of Corrie's life took on a deeper meaning. The guide continued with Corrie's post-war travels, the making of the "The Hiding Place" and stories of her final days.

It was such a moving experience to see Corrie's bedroom and the hiding place. Our guide told that once she met a man on the tour who had been one of those who had spent 47 hours in hiding there. Wow!

At the end of the tour, we were taken to the dining room, where we heard how Corrie explained about the hard times in our life being like the underside of a piece of embroidery. It doesn't seem to make sense, but only when it is finished, and you see it from the other side does it become clear.

For those who wish to know more, there are books for purchase in many languages that tell more of her story.

This house is definitely a "must see" for anyone visiting Holland.
Don't miss it!!