“Oh how I wish”

The Corrie ten Boom House
Ranked #1 of 69 things to do in Haarlem
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Well, the best laid plans...I was unaware of exact times of tours, if there are any. We arrived at the house for a short window of time. Arriving about 1:30 and the next tour listed on the door, was not until 3. Since the tour lasts an hour, it was impossible. Ive wanted to see the house for decades, and will be unlikely to return to Europe again. But just being there and seeing the outside was a dream come true. I guess that I thought there might be hourly tours. I will also add, if you haven't read The Hiding Place, do so. It's an amazing story.

2  Thank sn00ksmama

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Interesting free sight. My husband enjoyed this one more than I did. I found it difficult to stay awake while sitting in the parlor, listening to the history of the house, but I mostly attribute this to the extremely warm weather.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We wanted to get a visit in the summer but we didn't have time so we decided we would make a special visit.
Although there were only two of us, when we arrived at the Ten Boom house, there were around 12-15 people waiting to take the tour. There are tours in English at various times.

We were met by 'Peter', a lovely older gentleman who took us into the house and sat us down in the front living room. The walls had family portraits and memorabilia. Peter told us the outline of story behind the house and the Ten Boom family. We were already familiar having read the book, "The Hiding Place", and watched the movie.

It was a most unusual museum tour. Museum tours are usually; a wander round a large building with grand statues, paintings, artefacts, fossils etc. - this was VERY different.

This was a walk around someone's house. A typical Dutch town house of it's day. These were real people with ordinary lives who were thrust, by their Christian commitment into a tremendous period of gallantry and bravery as they helped innocent Jewish people escape certain death at the hands of the Nazi's during the German occupation of Holland in world war 2.

I have read some people's reviews; that the tour had too much of a Christian content. If that bothers you then don't go - because Christianity is the only reason why the Ten Boom family did what they did. Without the Christian content - which was not over the top by the way - the story is meaningless. Without Christianity, there would be no Ten Boom museum. These people would have lived and died and made no impression on history whatsoever.

It is a truly moving and inspirational place to visit. Worth an hour of your time and free of charge also.

4  Thank Aladon
Reviewed September 6, 2013

After seeing the enormous queues for the Anne Frank House we decided to give it a miss and go instead to the Ten Boom house in Haarlem. SO glad we did!! We were in a group of only 6 with a lovely fellow, a volunteer, as our guide. Having read Corrie's book many years ago it was quite a surreal experience stepping into the house where this amazing story of a family's heroic actions during WW2 took place. Amazing that there is no charge for the tour; you have the choice to make a donation or purchase book, DVD or such. The time we spent there was probably a highlight of our 6 week holiday. So much that you see is about wars, excessive wealth and opulence, battles for power and man's inhumanity to man. This place is about the bravery of a family with strong beliefs, who refused to be cowed into inaction when they saw their fellow man being treated inhumanely. Highly recommended

5  Thank storkgeelong
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I learned a lot on this tour. You begin in a lovely sitting room full of antiques,etc while an excellent guide gives you the historic background of the home, the family and how they decided to hide Jews from the Nazis. They were a wonderful Christian family who tried to do the right thing and once they were caught endured the concentration camps. Corrie, after surviving the camps, preached her story and the Gospel around the world. you go to see the actual "hiding place" and if you are like me will come away in awe of the sacrifices some people in the world have made in His name.

5  Thank Cindy V