“Deeply Moving” 5 of 5 stars

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Deeply Moving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Having read The Hiding Place, I was so excited to get to see where the whole story happened. It was incredible to sit in the Ten Boom's home listening to the story of their courageous faith in hiding Jews in their home. Standing in the actually hole in the wall that was the hiding place made me tear up. I will never forget my experience at the Ten Boom House. It is a place everyone should visit at least once in their lives. I really appreciated the tour guide's simple realness and how the place was not commercialized and touristy.

1 Thank rahoffman424

Woy Woy, New South Wales, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Interesting but too drawn out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

It was interesting to see the house and learn some of the story behind it. The sign on the door says the tour takes an hour, which I wondered at, but the guide actually talked for more like 80 minutes! Too much repetition for my liking, and I found it a bit more like a lecture come sermon at times. I was aware that the family were Christian, so I was expecting some references to that, but would prefer if it focused on the history and how it related to the war rather than a Christian testimony. Be aware of many stairs, if that is a problem for you. I'm not sorry I went, just wish it had taken half the time.

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Absolutely amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was by far one of favourite stops in the Netherlands. It's an amazing story of courage and faith and of Dutch resistance during the Nazi occupation. The house is small and so the tours are limited in size, but the guide takes you to the living room area and gives a history of the family, who they were what they did before, during and after the war. Our guide was fantastic giving an English tour, there was a group from Spain so she did accommodate in her speech, time for a family member to translate into Spanish. After the living room you progress through the house and can see Corrie's bedroom where the hiding place is as well as other various rooms in the house. We actually preferred this house and tour to the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. Definitely a must see if in the Netherlands. It was refreshing to experience a tour that focused on one's Faith rather than shirking away from it which seems to be all too common in the Netherlands.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank yomo360
Summit, New Jersey
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“History Lesson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We are so glad we made a morning trip to Haarlem from Amsterdam to visit this museum. Our tour was in English, but someone was also translating it into German for other visitors. Perhaps this is the reason I feel some of the details were cut short from the tour. We had to wait for each sentence the guide said to be translated. The tour was about 1 hour, but it kept us interested the whole time. There was no religious overtone to our tour at all. We had not read or seen "The Hiding Place", but will definitely do so now. The tour is free, but takes donations at the end.

2 Thank TravelersRLC
Newcastle
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Strange and quirky visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This museum tells the story of The Hiding Place where the ten Boom family and friends hid from the Germans to escape persecution. Corrie's tale is similar to Anne Frank's except that she lived to tell the story and continued to campaign. Unfortunately the experience was spoiled by the volunteer guide's constant references to God, christian prayer and the holy land of Israel. It was an interesting and fascinating story and the hiding place (inside the wall cavity) needs to be seen.

3 Thank CondadoJohn