“Honeymoon” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #112 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“Honeymoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. Having read previous reviews (after booking) I was concerned the room would be small and noisy and the staff unhelpful. I therefore contacted the hotel and addressed my concerns with them explaining that this was our honeymoon and that my husband is a large rugby player. When we arrived the staff could not have been more lovely. We had been put into the largest room the hotel had to offer, which also had a small balcony. The room was more than adequate for our needs. The bed was very comfortable, the noise minimal and the ensuite adequate. If I had one minor issue that would be the bulb in the light over the bed could have been more powerful. But this was minor. Although not in the centre of the main areas of Amsterdam the tram stops right outside the hotel and is very easy to use and access the tourist spots from. Our whole stay was wonderful and I would most certainly recommend the hotel to anyone staying in Amsterdam.

• 4 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Last week i stayed at this hotel. I paid 170 euro for a double bedroom with my friend. Elevator didnt reach our floor so we had to take the stairs between 2nd and 3rd floor. The room was approx two meter wide and 3 m long. You couldnt walk around the bed without hitting the sade that was on the floor, and definitely you could not move together in the same room at the same time. Instead of a proper drawer or closet they had put a nylon one.

Bathroom: mirror was on chest level (i am 178cm). Showerhead was attached to wall do you couldnt shower without getting your hair wet....

Breakfast: not enough tables do people sat in the lobby on so called tree trunks. Each were 40 cm high so if you are tall you sit with your head between your ears.

I am a frequent traveller but this hotel is not worth your money. 170 euro..... I would give 90 euro at the most.....
Nh hotels are better quality for your money and the rooms are much bigger. Was very disappointed. We had room 402. Make sure you dont get this room. Also there was no airconditioning while this room was under the roof.

• Stayed July 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Just returned from 3 nights at the hotel V. As previous reviews say the lobby and breakfast area are very nice. There is free tea and coffee and the breakfast was lovely and fresh. The rooms are small but very clean and the beds are very comfortable. The tram stop outside is very useful to get to and from central station (in about 10 mins) but all the main tourist areas, museums etc are within walking distance. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and overall I would recommend this hotel.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

First off, let me say what's good about this place. You're outside of the Dam area, which is overrun with teenage wasteoids and tourist restaurants. And the hotel is right next to an amazingly frequent tram that runs right to the Dam in a matter of minutes and leaves about every 5mins. Even late night. So even though you're geographically away from the center, you're there in a few minutes.

OK, now the review gets lengthy. In short, my complaint is that the customer service is so bad that they make it horrible to stay here. Keep reading if you want the details.

The bad part of this hotel, it seems to be exclusively staffed by attractive young women hired for appearances only. Meaning, you walk into a hip looking lobby with modern touches and are greeted by a front desk staff that scowl at you, like you stepped into the VIP room of their private club. These people have no place working in a hotel, but apparently the manager only wants to hire pretty young girls.

I was told my room wasn't ready. I asked why and they said "Check in isn't until 2p." It was 1:55p. I pointed this out and was told to "wait over there..." No apology and no language barrier, but complete disdain for having to "deal" with a problem. She went back to chatting with her buddy behind the check-in desk.

Now it's 2:40p and I say that I've had it with waiting in the lobby. She tells me to "hold on," makes a call and then says "OK, your room is ready now." No apology. No explanation. And no upgrade of any kind. In fact quite the opposite. They put me in a SMALLER room than what I had reserved, because it was the first available. And by small, I mean "capsule" hotel without the futuristic touches. A basic bathroom that wasn't too functional and about a foot of space around the bed. That's it. No A/C, despite it being hot. And remember that tram that runs every 5 mins? If you open a window you have to listen to that all night, right outside the hotel.

The next day, I went to pick up the two bikes I had pre-paid for as part of a package offer. The amazing front desk once again, said they only had one bike. But, I told them I paid for it already. It's not a reservation. They however, felt like charging me for a bike, not holding it and making double money renting it to another guest. The really amazing part is that they felt like they had kept up their end of the bargain, by having one bike available. They literally told me, my wife could ride on the rack on the back. But then stopped and realized, this bike didn't have a rack. She then went back to talking to her co-worker, as she deemed the situation resolved.

Of course I pushed the point and wouldn't accept this. So begrudgingly, she told me to walk 20mins to this bike rental place who the hotel is partnered with and they'll give us two bikes. Then the shock came, when I got my first apology.

I walked 20 mins, came to the bike place and they said they never heard of any partnership with the hotel. When I went back to the hotel later that day I felt like I'd had enough of the V and wished I'd never wasted time here. Even though Amsterdam is great, this place almost made it a bad trip.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank serious1212
houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

3 nights at the Hotel V in Amsterdam; Positives: Hotel is very centrally located 5 min from Rijksmuseum and 10 min to Centraal station; Easy walk to Leidsplein and Rembrandt square. Staff is great very friendly and helpful, even helped carry luggage. Rooms are small but very clean and bathrooms modern. It is located across from a tram stop and easy to get around AMS. Negatives: The rooms are small, and I mean small. Not that big of a deal for me since I wasnt in the room that much but probably would not stay more than 3-4 days as it would be claustrophobic at that point. Bathrooms are tiny tiny, can barely move around in them. I stayed in a new part of the hotel with a very steep staircase which, quite frankly, is probably a little dangerous. All in al though it was a good stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The pros:
very friendly and helpful staff
good location - close enough to main tourist areas, 10 mins from station, some nice bars and restaurants nearby
tram stop directly outside
very good breakfast - quality and choice
stylish, comfortable lobby
good feel and atmosphere
free coffee and tea in lobby
free wifi

The cons:
our 'standard' room was very small - clothes storage limited to a small (approx 30cm wide) hanging rail, very small shower room/toilet
room not very soundproof

I'd happily recommend this hotel with the proviso that unless willing to splash out on a larger room then expect to make do with a very small bedroom.

Room Tip: Pay for a larger room.