“excellent food !”

Casa Peru
Ranked #1,424 of 4,006 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Ceviche is amazing , would definitely go there again

There are newer reviews for Casa Peru

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Have been twice before in previous years and was impressed but on this occasion not so. We ordered outside, sitting at tables by the canal and it was obvious from the start that the young lad taking the order did not fully understand.....but finally we were all sure he had got it right - 1 starter and 1 main for 2 people........then he was obviously having trouble with his hand held computer........Well we then sat inside and the starters came after 20 mins or so adn were fine - mine was 3 large pieces of belly pork - almost big enough for a main course. The problem came when my main arrived which was correct but my colleague got a second starter - belly pork again!!! Many apologies followed but it ended with us eating our main courses separately.

The food was moderate - the chicken main dish I would not choose again. The 4 dishes and a bottle of their cheapest wine came to 85 euros - not terribly expensive but would have hoped for something a bit better.

Not sure if I would go again.

1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Casa Peru is a sister restaurant of of Mashua (Prinzengracht near cnr with Leidsestraat).

Ordered the piqueo (mixed starter for 2 of seabass ceviche, tamale and sweet potato cake). Was enough as a main course for 2 to share. Had 3-milk traditional layered dessert which was tasty and tangy, and a Peruvian rice pudding, both of which were delicious. The tropical juice blend was fresh and subtle.

If you don't know ceviche it is fresh raw fish pickled in lime juice and cilantro, with thinly sliced red onions as a topping. It is sour but super tasty. Try it! In some restaurants it's more seafood than fish, but we didn't mind, gave it a try, and loved it!

Absolutely the best meal we've had in Europe by far.

There are meat dishes available (beef, lamb) but that you can get more easily, so if you're adventurous, go for the ceviche.

Be warned: you may have a short wait to seated as there are about 12 tables and only 1 waiter, but we were seated within 2 mins, so the wait seems longer than it actually is.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

I have been to Casa Peru on 3 different occassions with 3 different sized groups - once with my husband, once with 4 of us, and once with 10 of us. Each time the wait was completely unbearable and torturous!! How this restaurant makes any money when they keep people seated empty-handed for hours on end is beyond me.

During our most recent visit on Saturday, April 29 we had to wait for 1.5hours before we got our food!! I asked the waiter several times regarding the delay, but still no food! Here's a tip to the staff and owners: when someone makes a dinner reservation at 8:30, they want to have dinner at around that time - not at 10pm. We were almost sleeping in our chairs, and by the time we got the food we were so hungry that it wasn't even enjoyable.

Also, they tend to over-salt/pepper/spice their food. On two occassions I asked for very mild and 'not at all spicy' and received food that burned my mouth. Last time, I had the lamb and it was terribly salty and very dry. To be fair, their butternut pumpkin soup is delicious, but for the 1.5hours it took me to get it I could have grown my own pumpkins and made a batch of the soup at home.

1  Thank AmerikaansBurger
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Do NOT miss the ceviche de pescado! Great, sunny terrace in the summertime.