“Brilliant for Valentines!”

Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend went here for our Valentines meal. We both had the set menu for ?25. Great value for money, all the food was lovely.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,397)

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We found this place based on a google search for 'good restaurants near Dam Square' and we really lucked out! It looks small from the outside but it's actually massive, lovely decor and speedy but friendly service. The set menu is only €25 and its such a bargain for what you get! The Quality of the food is outstanding. Very highly recommended, right by Dam Square

Reviewed January 30, 2013

After eating one of the best beefs for a long time in the almost next door restaurant (see my other reviews), we had a hard time to choose the next restaurant. Fortunately we hit it right. The atmosphere was nice and the dinner excellent from appetizer to the desert. My selection was beef carpaccio, prawns and cheese desert. Bueno!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Visited Humphrey's during a short city break to Amsterdam as we walked past the restaurant on a daily basis walking from our hotel and it looked interesting from the outside and reasonably priced so thought we would give it a try.
Humphrey's offers a standard 24.95 euro 3-course set menu, with lots of choices of dishes, although you can simply choose a main course from the menu if you don't fancy the full 3 courses (my girlfriend and I didn't bother with dessert so the waitress knocked a bit off the bill for us).
Although the menu looks enticing, unfortunately the food didn't quite live up to expectations. For a 3-course set menu for under 25 euros per head, you probably should have high expectations but the food was distinctly average at best. In British terms, it was probably the equivalent of standard pub-chain food. It will certainly fill you up but there's not any particular flair or finesse to the cooking. Quantity definitely rules over quality at Humphrey's. Although our main courses were meals in themselves (my girlfriend had steak and I had tiger prawns), both dishes were accompanied by a large bowl of salad, large bowl of chips (fries) and a mysterious dish of mushy pears (mixed with some unknown food stuff). We hardly touched all these accompaniments and were stuffed to the extent that we had to forego dessert.

If you're looking for a reasonably cheap meal out (24.95 per head plus drinks on top) with plenty of food, then Humphrey's is certainly a good bet. But in a city like Amsterdam where there are so many great restaurants, if you're looking for something a bit more special, then I'd advise to look elsewhere.

1  Thank Tom Q
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I ate here last week for our anniversary. Usually we look into reviews of where we're going to go out for dinner but we decided on this place simply on the 3 course menu posted outside - it did not disappoint! I had the lobster soup with prawns for starter, my boyfriend had the duck pate, we both had the mixed grill for mains, and I had a chocolate fondant for dessert while he had sorbet. We were both astounded by the quality, flavour and portion sizes of every course and could not believe the value for money. We would both definitely eat here again when we return to Amsterdam - high quality dining at an affordable price. It definitely does not taste like chain-restaurant food! Superb :)

1  Thank lkd22