“Inventive, explosion of taste and flavour”

Kaagman en Kortekaas
Ranked #144 of 4,906 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Neighborhood: Centrum
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed March 30, 2019 via mobile

Ended up dining on my own. Staff really courteous and helpful. Assisted getting my wheelchair inside. Explained the concept, ran through the menu and wine options. Explained every course as it arrived. I had 6 course taster with added cheese board and paired wines. The smoked gurnard with smoked aubergine soup was exceptional, the oxtail and scallop roe pasta amazing and the pink veal, steak, tongue, sweetbreads, cooked to perfection.

The wine choices were good as well.

Desert nice. Dutch hard cheese with cloves wasn’t to my liking.

Arrived 18.00. Place empty. Service took 2.5 hours. When I left the place was full.

You don’t have to have all 6 courses. You can choose 3, 4, 5.

I’d been slightly worried by some reviews, about slow service. I needn’t have been. Anyway, if in a group, you should be chatting. Talk over a long meal is almost as important as the food.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed January 29, 2019

I was there tonight with my wife, for our anniversary. We have been eating vegan for a month and decide to splurge in this “nice restaurant with great food and awesome customer service.
Results: Food & wine during dinner was good, however:
- we booked for 9:00pm and sat down at 9:30pm after we had to chase the staff
- despite us ordering 4 courses, after a mistake made by the staff, the staff tried to push us to have a 5th course. We rejected, saying we’d like to order some coffee and limoncello. A guy with glasses came up to our table claiming the order for the 5th course was made and the kitchen was already preparing the food. When we rejected , he was so rude and made us feel like we were forced to have the additional course, despite ultimately we hadn’t ordered it.
-from this moment, 20 mins of time of total indifference, during which waiters were walking across tables but nobody came to serve us or ask if we wanted anything else.
-Finally we attracted the attention of a waiter and asked the bill, flagging the rude behaviour of the guy with glasses. “That is the owner (Mr Kortekaas)”, he said. I then asked to have a chat with him and explained that despite the decent food, his behaviour and attitude was rude and not up to the standard of a 180 euro meal for 2 people. He left saying “I will bring this in for discussion with the team”, no apology, no offering of a coffee to apologise or anything similar. Unfortunately for the owner, the team was exemplary great and helpful until he stepped in with his rude and entitled behaviour , blaming us for a mistake they did.
-The two stars are for the wine, very good, and the young, hard-working staff. The three missing stars are all on the shoulders of the entitled, rude and, apparently, not very smart owner.
Never again.

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank LucaRimo
Reviewed January 28, 2019

We were on holiday from Mallorca and our local chef was working at the restaurant so we booked for my Birthday dinner. Marvellous service and good food, was very busy on a Wednesday so would recommend you book. Liked the fact it was a set menu so you got to try different foods.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed January 5, 2019

This place is pretty impressive and I'm sure sturdier meat eaters love it. We found it a little gamey. I think it's better for more adventurous eaters. The service and wine were great, though. And we loved some of the courses.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed January 5, 2019 via mobile

We had an excellent diner there. Service was excellent and their space is very welcoming and nicely decorated. A lot of efforts is put into the menu. Be aware though that the meat they serve is very offal (kidney, sweetbread, tong,...). You will like it...or not! We did!!

Date of visit: December 2018