“Italian gem”

Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Recommended by a local, we walked to the restaurant in the afternoon to try to get a booking. They weren't open, but the kitchen staff were there, and a friendly fellow told me they were booked for the night - but while talking, another friendly guy came up, and told me that if we showed up early or later that night, and said we were willing to wait, he would make sure we would get a table. Sure enough, when we arrived at 6:00, we were offered a table - but they apologized that we would have to vacate by 9:00, since it was booked later. No problem! The Italian food and wine menu was fabulous, and reasonably priced. Great specials on the menu. Unfortunately, since we couldn't stay the entire evening, we couldn't take advantage of the 6 course prix fixe menu (I think it was 42 euro - reasonable!) The place was full of locals. Although it was a white tablecloth place - there were jeans and suits, and all were welcome. My only complaint was that if the waiter had given us a bit more attention, he would have sold more wine.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Recommended by both Fodors & Frommers so we walked from our hotel (15min). We arrived early by Amsterdam standards 5:30-6pm and asked for a table. Received a very snooty reception by the hostess & asked if we had a reservation. (neither Fodors/Frommers mentioned that one was needed). We replied no and were told "can't seat you" and totally ignored us. It was my husband's birthday and the place was empty- really they could have found a table to seat us that early!! This was not a great welcome to Amsterdam!!!

3  Thank Ricki21
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was recommended by a work colleague of my wife's, who lives in the same street, stating it is his favourite place. I would have to say the food was excellent, it also has to be said it was the most expensive of the restaurants we ate at. you lot down there must have been on a bad day. The staff were excellent, polite attentive, quick, friendly blah blah blah. I would also say this is not an Italian in the truest form, but takes it's inspiration from Italy, Food and Service in the States has to be looked at on it's own as it's very different. As a Brit I am used to slovenly service and food that is quite often below standard. I am a fully trained chef and yake it from me the food here is great, and would recommend this to any one, although you should of course take into consideration others reviews

1  Thank Matt D
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Enjoyed my time here, food was good. Nothing out of this world amazing though. Admittedly I am rather spoiled when it comes to Italian (as a native NYer), so the fact that I thought the food was good and the service pretty decent makes this an above average Italian joint in Amsterdam, that's for sure.

1  Thank kjm31
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was the least favorite restaurant of our week in Amsterdam. The service was pretentious and condescending. They were dismissive of the few menu questions we asked. The food was served in a timely fashion but was of average quality. Would recommend elsewhere for Italian cuisine.

1  Thank 4ksav