“Takes me back to Japan”
Review of Kagetsu

Kagetsu
Reserve with
Kagetsu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,495 of 4,085 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

This was a last minute decision to visit as other places were closed, so glad we did, it really felt like we were back in Japan, the food was fresh, tastes and plentiful. We had the vegetarian meal for two and weren't disappointed. It a delight to visit such a place that is also off the tourist area.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were surprised by this tiny restaurant that we entered by chance and that serves delicious and freshly made Japanese food. One of the best meals we had in Amsterdam. We all had edamame as apetizer. I ordered a bento box, with teriaki salmon rice, soup, spring rollsand veggies (15€). I also has a taste of the sushis... Everything was delicious. Good wine list.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

If you are craving your japanese on a regular Amsterdam night, don't make the mistake to walk in one of those cheap touristy joints.
Kagetsu is the real deal, in a quiet and lovely neighborhood, and exceeds expectations as far as the food goes!
Thanks for a lovely evening! :)

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Small place. Not filled with tourists.I liked sitting out in the terrace at the back.
Found the food to be good. Enjoyed a Japanese beer and a glass of saki. The service was excellent. Overall I would recommend this place.
A meal for 2 would cost about 50 $ excluding drinks and tips.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Went to this restaurant with some expectations because other reviews were quite good. Unfortunately for us it was a bad experience. I lived in Japan for one year of my life so I know pretty well how food should taste and it was quite different from Kagetsu's. We had gyoza (deep fried and super oily while they should be steamed and stir fried), a nigiri mix (pieces were so big that didn't fit in our mouth so we tried to cut them but they fell apart), some california rolls (were the only ok thing) and two temakis (I would have made them better. The fish in general had no taste at all and the soy was just kikkoman poured in a different little jar so too salty.
Also the service was quite bad and no one in that restaurant was Japanese, expecially the chef.

Big delusion :(