“Good for the price paid - Nice atmosphere”

De Bicker Eten en Drinken
Ranked #1,187 of 4,696 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Neighborhood: Nieuwe Pijp
Neighborhood: Nieuwe Pijp
Reviewed March 22, 2018

De Bicker was very inviting on a freezing March evening - We had booked the Groupon for the cheese fondue for 2 (about £16 for 2).
I am a cheese lover but my partner isn't, this was a true test..
We were seated near the window, there was a nice atmosphere here and it was very warming.
We ordered drinks and waited for our fondue (we also ordered extras with our fondue for ultimate dipping pleasure).

The fondue arrived and it seemed there was barely enough space for all the plates (haha), there was a basket of bread, a bowl of fries, selection of salad and selection of vegetables.. personally I didn't eat any of the veg/salad but we had ordered extras which weren't too pricy..
We stirred up our fondue and off we went, at first the fondue was great - it tasted lovely, but as the night went on it seemed to become stronger with what I will only assume is wine that they have chosen to use in the fondue? It got a little too much for me.
The fondue did appear grainy, I argued it was perhaps the type of cheese used, my partner argued it had split (he's a Chef, but I still argued,,).

Overall, it wasn't unpleasant and for the price paid I don't think I'd ever complain.. looking at something like this in the French Alps in January was about £60 for two.. so we got a good deal here.

The staff were all very nice and helpful too.
If you are in the neighbourhood, it's worth a visit.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed February 3, 2018 via mobile

We had the cheese fondue, which was really good. It got served with fresh bread, fries, cut veggies and simple salad that unfortunately was socked in cheap dressing. Average place where you can get decent value for money. The ambience however is what makes this place. Lights are dimmed, candles lit, staff is very friendly and quick in service, and they have a great dynamic in the interior & colors.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed October 29, 2017

Went there with my girlfriend. Had the cheese fondue. It was good, you get plenty of stuff to dip in. Nothing over the top but perfectly good. The place is very cozy, and the staff is super friendly. Definitely recommend it! They often have Social Deal/Groupon deals.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed August 29, 2017 via mobile

If you like cheese, you HAVE to come here for the cheese fondue. So delicious. Creamy and tasty. Really relaxed and romantic atmosphere inside. Friendly service. Only complaints would be that the toilet is quite small, and temperature inside was very hot. Apart from that, perfect!

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed May 19, 2017

Great tucker, friendly service, ambience as well. Ate here twice, the draw card for me was the cheese fondue, it was absolutely wonderful! Had steak which was served on a skewer, unusual but really good, together with pepper sauce. All meals served with a fresh salad and chips. Copious amounts of food to satisfy your hunger.

Date of visit: May 2017