“Surprisingly good”

Tokyo Cafe
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Description: Located in the central Amsterdam within the walking distance from Kalverstraat. The restaurant can be reach via tram 2, 9, 4, 16 and 24 from centraal station.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

When we were driving to Amsterdam, we read that this restaurant was 'bad' on a sushi-dining website, although most of the recent reviews where quite positive. We decided that the mark 'bad' must have been about accuracy of the website involved, rather than describing the restaurant and we wanted to check it out for ourselves.

After entering we were quickly guided to a table through the very deep and spacy, but still cosy room. We were mainly interested in the two available all-you-can-eat formulas. The cheaper one gives a very good basic choice, but the slightly more expensive full option version includes sashimi and more exclusive food. You can only pick one formula per table, but that was no issue at all, as we all noticed some favourites in the extended formula.

The house rules were easy to remember: as long as you don't order more than you can teat, there are no limitations in the number of rounds, nor is there a limitation in the number of items you can pick per round. It was the first time that we encountered this method and it worked absolutely perfect. The only setback was that you have only 90 minutes to order and 120 minutes to finish your meal. That's too sharp. We don't like being forced to hurry up. We Belgians we love to eat in a relaxed way, not just 'feed' ourselves as fast as we can. This is one of the 2 disadvantages urging me to rate very good in stead of excellent.

The kitchen is fast, the staff friendly and well trained to look for next rounds. If you order a large round, part of the food is brought to the table already while the kitchen continues to finish the list. That is perfect, as you can start right away. They forgot to bring us ginger and wasabi, but I must say, I didn't really miss it, as the things we ordered tasted good without too much additions. When leaving, we noticed that all other tables did have some, so this must have slipped their mind when we entered. The plates were light and had a plastic feeling, but it didn't bother me at all.

The sushi was... excellent. Good portions, not too big, fresh... some creative flavours. I really would like to visit again. The backside of the menu card contains other food like salads, sweet potatoes, meat and other warm food, etc.... The descriptions of the food may be a bit too rudimentary (sauce used not always specified...).

Except from having to check our watch all the time, everything went fine... until we ordered dessert. I do not understand how a kitchen staff *so good* in preparing the sushi, can be so incompetent in preparing a simple dessert as a pancake with ice cream. It came to the table on a plastic 'childrens plate', accompanied by a metal spoon that folds just by looking or pointing at it, and it was COLD. COLD is OK for the ice cream, but not for the pancake. Also, I don't eat pancake with a folding spoon. I actually have never ever seen ice cream being served on a COLD fluffy pancake. So, dessert was a bit of a mild shock after the excellent main course. But let's not exaggerate this... it's a detail.

As long as you just take the ice cream and stay away from the pancake, I can really recommend a visit. When I would visit Amsterdam again, they'll most probably see us back at the Tokyo Café, although I INSIST that they give Belgian tourists the time they really need to enjoy their dinner. Let's say: 2 hours of ordering and 3 hours in total to make room for the next shift.

Also interesting to know: they have a lunch-formula, which is even better value for money... so if you're really hungry around noon... do not hesitate.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We love sushi so when we found the Tokyo Cafe in our Holland Pass booklet and saw that they offered all-you-can-eat menus, we decided to check it out. It is a bit on the expensive site, especially for dinner (22.80€pp for the superior all-you-can-eat and 26.80€pp for the deluxe) but I think it was definitely worth it, especially because we received a free cocktail each as part of our Holland Pass Deal.
It is a very busy restaurant and unfortunately they did mix up one of our orders but since you pay a fixed price, it did not really matter whether we ate something we did not order and we enjoyed it anyway. My favourites were the dragon rolls and the hotate aburi sushi!!
If you can, don't forget to make a reservation because otherwise you may be disappointed if you don't get a seat.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This restaurant is mainly known for its all you can eat Japanese cuisine. A large place in the city centre with a fast kitchen and attentive staff makes for a popular place. Be sure to book in advance or to wait a while for a table.
Tasty food brought to you by friendly staff in record time: what more do you want from a restaurant?

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Walked past this outside restuarant by off chance and decided to have a pit stop after a long day walking about etc in Amsterdam, our intentions was to have a cold drink. Tim the waiter happened to be clearing a table nearby and immediately came over and asked what we would like and before long we had 2 ice cold beers in front of us, Tim was chatty, friendly and very welcoming and wanted to know where we were from etc, he really made us feel so welcome and proceeded to explain the menu as I had never expierenced sushi etc. Due to his attentive and chatty personality we ended up ordering a platter of mixed sushi. Service was quick and we both enjoyed our meal and what started as a quick drink ended up having dinner and more drinks and that was because of Tim. He is a real credit and if anyone has the pleasure of been served by Tim I guarantee not only good service but a lovely waiter.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I've lost track of how many times we've eaten here. All the food was excellent. If only they didn't "lose" some of our orders I'd rate the restaurant 5 stars. I believe this visit they lost 2 or 3 or our orders... Not a really big deal since you just re-order for the next round. We went with the more expensive menu (don't remember the name) for sashimi and grilled chili shrimp. It's definitely worth the extra couple Euros per person.

Go and eat great all you can eat sushi. Just realize that some orders will never be delivered so be flexible and add that to your next round's order.

And try the chili shrimp which I think is the best shrimp I've ever eaten.