“Good inexpensive food, waitress blond in every sense...”
Review of Tokyo Cafe - CLOSED

Tokyo Cafe
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Description: Located in the central Amsterdam within the walking distance from Kalverstraat. The restaurant can be reach via tram 2, 9, 4, 16 and 24 from centraal station.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I enjoyed an evening at the Tokyo Cafe and got an unlimited deluxe menu.
The food was quite good for the price you pay and the choice is wide.
Not only sushi, but also other supposedly Japanese snacks were very tasty and I would not mind going back for another round.
We had the feeling that we did not get exactly what we ordered, but it's hard to say.
This was probably caused by the fact that waitresses don't seem to be very smart or do not pay attention to what you say. Anyway, overall a nice experience.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

went there and still remember it. very tasty sushi. all what you can eat formula for a reasonable price. i tried other japanese dishes and was moe than satisfied. an unusual choice while in Amsterdam.

1  Thank Marly610
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Tasty tasty tasty...love everything about this place...and specially food! I am a big fan of Asian food and I often visit Asian restaurants...this one is o e of my favorites in Ams. They have also really nice cocktails!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

You can eat sushi everywhere, but if you want it to be great, don't forget to visit Tokyo Cafe. Fresh en delicious food.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I think I should probably quantify the title of my review by stating that no where in London, would one be able to eat 25 euros worth of sushi with great variety and by full. According to the a la carte menu, while I paid about 50 euros for 2 people, if I ate the items off the a la carte individually the bill would have come up to more than 150 euros. Nevertheless, I'm still impressed by the overall quality of the food in Netherlands, having yet to come across one where the quality is worse than that of London's regular restaurants. Perhaps there are better places in Europe and Netherlands, maybe even in London, but this is my personal opinion.

My friend and I had booked a table for 2 at 5:30pm, their earliest time slot it seems on a Friday night. We got there 10 minutes early, peered in and noticed that there were already a number of people seated inside. We went ahead and while having our reservation checked, I noticed that the reservation list was rather long and it looked like the restaurant would have a full night ahead. We were seated quickly and the menu was brought to us. I am an English speaker, but noticed that the waiters and waitresses were conversing in Cantonese. I decided that it might be easier to converse with them in English instead of Dutch, which wasn't a problem at all.

I asked the waitress serving our table what the difference was between the regular buffet and deluxe buffet and she explained it to me. I placed an order under the regular buffet section for the entire section - it must have been around 18 to 24 different types of sushi? She looked a little surprised and told me that they had a no-wastage policy, but I told her to go ahead with the order anyway. Note that the restaurant does not serve tap water, so my friend opted for a soft drink while I asked for green tea. The food came rather quickly, with a 5 to 10 minute waiting time. For first-timers, some of the sushis in the menu are shown as a pair, but they may come singularly, as we were informed by the waitress. She also asked if we would like one or two, but we opted for just one.

When I was ordering my second round, I re-confirmed with the waitress that I was ordering under the normal buffet, and not deluxe buffet. Luckily I did so, because my earlier questions had confused her and she had placed our orders under the deluxe buffet option. However, she was quick to clear up the confusion and was more than happy to amend our order to that of the normal buffet option. Half way through the meal I ran out of green tea, so I asked for hot water. I noted that I was charged for hot water at the end of the meal, so those people who love drinking green tea, beware. A smarter alternative would be to order bowls of miso soup from the menu which is also covered under the buffet.

The range of sushis provided is quite large. I believe I tasted unagi, salmon and tuna toro, scallops, squid, fish/prawn eggs so on and so forth. The selection is not limited to sushi only - you can order tempura, udon, teriyaki, grilled items (basically hot food). You can easily check what is offered by just going to their website. I believe I ordered about 4 rounds in total, and it was after the 3rd round that the waiters and waitresses, I believe, started getting a little worried and didn't seem so keen to clear our plates and serve us. I forgave them, since I don't think they've ever met a pair of large eaters before. In my 5th round I asked for 3 different types of ice cream, and they came individually scooped. The waitress was kind enough to ask if we wanted them separated in their own bowls or put together. Seating time has been said to be limited to about 2 hours or 2.5 hours? We had been seated for approximately 2 hours and some others even longer, but the waiters and waitresses did not seem to mind at all.

Overall, I would recommend this place if you're looking for buffet style Japanese food with a good bang for your buck. I cannot claim that the food is particularly top notch, but I'm content with the quality as it is, as well as the quantity and the service which was decent in general. I've read other reviews that this place is not a place to be if you're 4 or more people, but I saw plenty of groups of 4 and they were getting along quite well. I wouldn't advocating eating here all the time though, given the price, maybe a once in awhile treat or if you're stopping by in town and looking to satisfy your Japanese food craving. To top it off, the environment wasn't too brightly lit, but that is normal per restaurant standard. It did get a little on the loud side for my partner, but I still found it okay since the restaurant wasn't blasting music and the sounds were mostly chatter and laughter from satisfied clients. Wonderful for friends, family, and couples who aren't looking for up class dining but good filling food.

1  Thank WaddlyDuck