“An interesting experience.”

Neighborhood: Jordaan
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“An interesting experience.”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Dining at Semhar was an interesting experience. Completely new to Ethiopian food we went on the suggestion of a printed guide. The advice was to book in advance but we took a chance. It was a very rainy Saturday night and the place wasn't too busy.

We were welcomed warmly and our waitress explained the dishes. We had a mixed platter accompanied by Ethiopian beer. My wife's beer was a fruity one and mine was strong (7%) and tasty. The food was delicious and varied, accompanied by Ethiopian 'pancakes.' Some of the choices were described as 'hot' on the menu. I would compare these to a 'Madras' in Indian terms, nothing hotter.

Everywhere was clean, including the toilets (often a disappointment in ethnic restaurants) and we would definitely return and highly recommend it to carnivores and vegetarians alike.

I didn't mention it but I would have liked to listened to some indigenous music instead of easy-listening electronica. Maybe next time...

• Visited October 2013

American in Cambridge
“Excellent restuarant - we loved the food and the people”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Our party of 4 ate dinner at Semhar to celebrate our friends wedding anniversary. We LOVED the Ethiopian cuisine - which was new to us - the exotic spices and various food combinations was delicious. The waitress and chef are charming and helpful.
We will go again when we next visit Amsterdam.

• Visited September 2013
Competa, Spain
“Fantastic Kitfo”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I are huge fans of Ethiopian food and decided to eat here while on a layover. Good, friendly service and very clean. Really good traditional kitfo which is difficult to find. We had the vegetarian sampler platter. We also sampled the fruit beers which were interesting. It is rather expensive but what restaurant in Amsterdam is not.

• Visited August 2013
Regina
“Extremely enjoyable”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Very friendly service and I ready enjoyed my dish. The samosas were outstanding! Atmosphere was very nice and up beat, good vibe all around.

Visited September 2013
Amsterdam
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I don't know what the fuss is about. I found the restaurant only average. I love Ethiopian and Eritrean food and been to most of the Ethiopian restaurants in Amsterdam but this is my least favourite. The food wasn't at all what I exptected. Ethiopian food is supposed to be spicy and this wasn't spicy at all! The interior is nice and the service is excellent, though.

• Visited July 2013