“Great little Ethiopian restaurant”
Review of Semhar

Semhar
Ranked #665 of 4,085 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Although I live close to this restaurant and often pass it, I'd never actually eaten there until recently. Also, I had never tried Ethiopian food before. The restaurant is small and cosy, the staff is very friendly and helpful. We were with a rather large group and Ethiopian food is perfect for sharing, tasting, trying. The food is great, spicy and tasteful. You eat off a big plate, grabbing bites with a sort of flat bread / pancake instead of knife and fork, which might be a bit awkward if you have a very formal business meeting. However, if you know to people you are eating with relatively well, it actually enhances the social aspect of having dinner together.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had never had Ethiopian / Eritrean food before. It was a delight, we were quite early and there were Dutch families in with their children. Lovely atmosphere beautiful food. It's a small restaurant so, it's better to book because it is a bit off the beaten track if you get turned away.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

As someone from Washington, DC (home to the most Ethiopians in the US), I'm not new to Ethiopian food. In fact, especially as a vegetarian, I love it! This restaurant was the best I've had. I got the spicy okra platter and was not disappointed. It was deliciously spicy and served with a perfect arrangement of accompaniments. The injera was particularly good - darker and a bit crispier than some of the soggy injera you find at other restaurants. Also, be sure to try one of the very original 9though sweet) beers served in a coconut glass - I went for the mango. The service was also very nice - I was there alone and the served asked if he could bring me a coffee table book about the people and history of Ethiopia - a great touch!

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We came early, so we vere alone in the resturant. We ordered a vegetarian plate for two, and hade a bif plate with about 5 different steews/dishes. The food was tasty. Total cost w/ two beers around 40 ?

1  Thank Emma B
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family and I spent Easter in Amsterdam and having looked at a number of restaurants in advance decided to have our first dinner at Semhar. The only reason to be sorry that we chose this as our first restaurant was that it turned out to be the best dinner we had during our stay and would have been excellent on our last evening in Amsterdam.

The place itself is nothing really special. There are many places in Amsterdam situated along the beatiful canals - Semhar is not. There are many places which have payed much more attention to decorating the interior - Semhar has not. But the food was excellent and service friendly. Not only was the food excellent but having been to restaurants representing cuisines from all around the world experiencing the Ethiopian cuisine and eating it traditionally without knives and forks was an experience we will all remember.

We can sincerely recommend this restaurant to anybody visiting Amsterdam and promise that it is a meal you will not forget - because it is tasty and something a little bit different.

1  Thank Timo K