“Amazing steak!”

Ranked #96 of 4,099 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Restaurant Red is with its unique concept, lobster and beef fillet, one of Amsterdam's favorite dining spots. Overlooking the city's most picturesque canal, the 'Keizersgracht', Restaurant Red is ideally located in a canal house in the middle of the old city center of Amsterdam. Red is famous for her hospitable service, informal and warm ambiance, friendly prices and lasting quality. Red has been a 'must' for eight years now for everyone who is looking for an exquisite culinary experience. Whether you are touring the nearby museums and attractions or visiting Amsterdam for business, Red is the ideal place for your evening. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you at Red in the nearby future!
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This is a lovely restaurant for a romantic meal. It is quite small, this makes it feel so cozy. The staff are friendly and helpful.

They only serve steak & lobster so if you're after anything else go somewhere else. You can have the lobster cold with mayo or warm with melted butter & herbs ( this is how we had it) it was beautiful. We then had our steak which is served with a hollandaise sauce. I have never had such a perfectly cooked steak! It was like eating a piece of heaven.

We then had the cheese board for dessert which was perfectly sized just the right amount of cheese.

Would recommend to anyone that loves a good steak, in a homely atmosphere.

Well done!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

These are the only two items on the menu, both simply but perfectly cooked and served. Having booked ahead we were lucky enough to get a window seat looking out over the Kaisersgracht.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We visited Amsterdam for a couple of days and wanted to eat somewhere special for my birthday. What a great choice we made. A candle lit dinner with a lovely atmosphere. A choice of just 2 dishes. Lobster, fillet steak or a bit of both. Served with the perfect chips and a lovely salad. We had bread and oils to start. The fillet steak was definately the best I have tasted. It is my favourite dish and this certainly didn't disappoint. The lobster was very tasty and as it's just the 2 dishes on offer, it's no wonder they are both cooked to perfection. Just enough room for dessert which was a selection of tasty little puddings presented beautifully. A couple of wines and beers and including the tip we spent no more than e80. We will be returning to RED on our next visit to this beautiful city.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I took my girlfriend for a weekend away in Amsterdam in March 2014. This was for our anniversary and wanted to do something romantic outside of the madness & debauchery the city has to offer. We made no plans before arriving so I set about doing some research on where to go for a nice dinner.

After trawling through the TripAdvisor list of eateries I settled on this restaurant, the place looked spectacular and the premise of only Lobster & Steak really appealed to me. The restaurant is a little hidden and does not have any distinguishing marks to identify it, the only way I knew I wasn't walking into somebody's house was by the faint outline of a lamp on the door.

When you enter you are immediately engulfed in curtain (I panicked thinking I had walked into a Brothel), but then were promptly greeted by a waitress. We had our choice of seats and sat by the window looking over the river. The establishment is only a small venue with approximately 25-35 seats, In other places I would describe this as cramped however in Red it feels more 'Cosy'. The restaurant is delightfully furnished and has a very quirky design.

The menu is simple, Steak & Lobster. It's a posh take on surf & turf. You can choose to have the Lobster served as a starter or both together. Alongside this you are given a light salad and a portion of Chips. There is also an extensive wine list which is reasonably priced.

In a nutshell, this was the best dining experience of my life. The Steak is amazing, we both had it served medium rare which had the perfect amount of Pinkness & blood. It was beautifully tender and oozed flavor. I am not normally a fan of Lobster but I thoroughly enjoyed this also, the meat is soft, easy to remove from the body & claw and perfectly seasoned.

After reading the reviews on here I decided to have the 'Chef's surprise' dessert. This is a selection of 3 small sweets that were all wonderful.

The staff were very attentive and took their time to ensure we were satisfied. We had a young lady (Her names escapes me, sorry) who took great care of us. Always on hand to top our wine glasses up and cater to every need.

The bill came to €131 + €20 tip. I have paid a lot more for a lot less in and around London.

In summary this restaurant is the best I have ever experienced. The simple menu is done to perfection, along side the wonderful service and venue it really is the perfect dining destination.

This was the best meal I have ever had, and would eat here every night if I could. I intend to return, and would travel back to Amsterdam just to taste that Steak again!

If you are travelling as a couple and want a romantic night out I implore you to visit here. It is a good idea to book in advance as it seems popular with locals and tourists.

1  Thank Chris L
Reviewed March 21, 2014

In The Red Restaurant (Amsterdam) you will find a short but impressive menu, steak or crab. These two options are available everyday for lunch and dinner. It's necessary to request a reservation if you want enjoy this lovely restaurant. All the food is perfectly cooked and served, with a special chips included for each serving. You will see a large variety of beverages from different countries. A "must" in Amsterdam.