“Simply a must”

Ranked #92 of 4,190 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Restaurant Red is with its unique concept, lobster and beef fillet, one of Amsterdam's favorite dining spots. Overlooking the city's most picturesque canal, the 'Keizersgracht', Restaurant Red is ideally located in a canal house in the middle of the old city center of Amsterdam. Red is famous for her hospitable service, informal and warm ambiance, friendly prices and lasting quality. Red has been a 'must' for eight years now for everyone who is looking for an exquisite culinary experience. Whether you are touring the nearby museums and attractions or visiting Amsterdam for business, Red is the ideal place for your evening. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you at Red in the nearby future!
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Fantastic! Please try it , you will not be disappointed. The best steak I have ever had. Shared a lobster for starter. The desserts are truly amazing. Not particularly expensive either.

2  Thank Lucywoody
Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Went because of trip advisor recommendations and we were not let down. Food and service amazing. Very difficult to find so take a taxi even locals couldn't direct us. Doesn't have name outside. Would definitely recommend excellent quality and value.

1  Thank Diane M
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place is truly awesome. Found out about it on trip advisor when looking for restaurants, and was intruiged by the fact it serves only steak or lobster - that's it!
I booked online which I would advise you to do as even though we had an early table at 6.30 pm there was a non stop stream of people coming in, a lot of which were turned away.
As others have said it doesn't have any signage or a menu in the window. There's a large lamp design on the entry door so watch out for that. We took tram 16 from centraal station to Keizersgracht and it only took about 10 mins in total.
Now, the food! I ordered the steak medium rare with Bernaise sauce, my partner ordered lobster with soft mayonaise. Both were out of this world.

To put it in perspective I've had steak in the four seasons in Paris and this place was even better than that. The steak was like butter, it just melted in your mouth and every mouthful was more and more satisfying than the last. If you like steak I honestly cannot recommend this place any higher. It will blow your mind and your palate. The Prosecco was gorgeous too, I would order a whole bottle the next time I go. My partner was delighted with his lobster. They both come with fries and a dressed salad.

We had 2 mains and glasses of prosecco and the bill was 52€. Worth every penny!

If you are in Amsterdam and are looking for somewhere special then book this place, I hope you love it as much as I do!

2  Thank Cheruba35
Reviewed March 12, 2013

found the place to be a bit of a strange experience. In a way it did not really feel like a restaurant, more like a locals dinner party. Seems to be very much a locals place than a tourist trap. Theres no signs or menu outside, and upon entering the unmarked door you are presented with a large curtain to slip through. At first i thought this was to give the place a kind of mystery and prestige but after sitting at my table i quickly realised that it was to keep the draft out. Not such a glamorous purpose. The restaurant its self is nice and stylish and i found the seating comfortable. The view out the large window onto the canal was very nice indeed and great for watching life go buy.

Service was friendly but a bit on the slow side, but that was probally due to the fact this place is very busy indeed. If you plan to visit at weekend, book ahead. We saw quite a few people being told there was no tables all night. Thats because the food choice may be simple - steak and chips or lobster an chips, but it is extremely good. I had lobster with soft mayonaise, my fiance had steak. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. When a place only serves two things they need to do them well, and this place does.

2  Thank coconut-monkey09
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My partner and I visited this restaurant on Tuesday 5th March (my 30th birthday), we reserved our table on line prior to leaving for Dam.

The restaurant doesn't have obvious signage outside but the door has a floor standing lamp on the front - for those who are planning on visiting.

The food is simple - steak or lobster (that's it) but my two favourite dishes. Both of us opted for surf & turf (you can have the lobster as a starter if you wish). Both of us ordered our steaks medium rare - my partners was on the really rare side (which I love) so we ended up swapping, had this not been the case he would have sent it back.

The restaurant decor is beautiful & the chairs so comfortable.

The one thing that let it down was the service - slow! Our waitress wasn't over friendly either, she was polite but extremely formal - we tried a couple of times to have a chat/laugh but it wasn't happening - shame.

We ordered a bottle of bubbly which was chilled at the bar & my partners glass was sat empty for periods of time which we found unacceptable.

You can't knock the food but there is definite room for improvement on the service front (especially as its not cheap)!