“bit of a strange one- but great food”
Review of Restaurant RED

Restaurant RED
Ranked #102 of 4,085 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Restaurant Red is with its unique concept, lobster and beef fillet, one of Amsterdam's favorite dining spots. Overlooking the city's most picturesque canal, the 'Keizersgracht', Restaurant Red is ideally located in a canal house in the middle of the old city center of Amsterdam. Red is famous for her hospitable service, informal and warm ambiance, friendly prices and lasting quality. Red has been a 'must' for eight years now for everyone who is looking for an exquisite culinary experience. Whether you are touring the nearby museums and attractions or visiting Amsterdam for business, Red is the ideal place for your evening. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you at Red in the nearby future!
Reviewed March 12, 2013

found the place to be a bit of a strange experience. In a way it did not really feel like a restaurant, more like a locals dinner party. Seems to be very much a locals place than a tourist trap. Theres no signs or menu outside, and upon entering the unmarked door you are presented with a large curtain to slip through. At first i thought this was to give the place a kind of mystery and prestige but after sitting at my table i quickly realised that it was to keep the draft out. Not such a glamorous purpose. The restaurant its self is nice and stylish and i found the seating comfortable. The view out the large window onto the canal was very nice indeed and great for watching life go buy.

Service was friendly but a bit on the slow side, but that was probally due to the fact this place is very busy indeed. If you plan to visit at weekend, book ahead. We saw quite a few people being told there was no tables all night. Thats because the food choice may be simple - steak and chips or lobster an chips, but it is extremely good. I had lobster with soft mayonaise, my fiance had steak. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. When a place only serves two things they need to do them well, and this place does.

2  Thank coconut-monkey09

Reviewed March 7, 2013

My partner and I visited this restaurant on Tuesday 5th March (my 30th birthday), we reserved our table on line prior to leaving for Dam.

The restaurant doesn't have obvious signage outside but the door has a floor standing lamp on the front - for those who are planning on visiting.

The food is simple - steak or lobster (that's it) but my two favourite dishes. Both of us opted for surf & turf (you can have the lobster as a starter if you wish). Both of us ordered our steaks medium rare - my partners was on the really rare side (which I love) so we ended up swapping, had this not been the case he would have sent it back.

The restaurant decor is beautiful & the chairs so comfortable.

The one thing that let it down was the service - slow! Our waitress wasn't over friendly either, she was polite but extremely formal - we tried a couple of times to have a chat/laugh but it wasn't happening - shame.

We ordered a bottle of bubbly which was chilled at the bar & my partners glass was sat empty for periods of time which we found unacceptable.

You can't knock the food but there is definite room for improvement on the service front (especially as its not cheap)!

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

I visitw Restaurant Red whilst holidaying in Amsterdam. We had booked a table, however on a busy Friday night, we had to wait 30mins before we were seated! Luckily enough it was a warm evening, so we seated ourselves on the small bench privided for smokers outside.
I have rated the service as average as we all felt as though our waitress was quite abrupt. We thought it perhaps because we were tourists, but we weren't entirely sure.
We were starving when we ordered and did so rapidly, as we all knew whether we were getting either steak or lobster. When the food arrived, all was forgiven. I had the steak, which was the most succulent and flavoursome meat I have ever tasted. The reports of the lobster were just as good. For desert we had the little mini deserts, which again did not disappoint!
I will most definately be back to Restaurant Red and I must add that my marks would have been 10/10 if it weren't for our unkept reservation and poor service!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

If you are visiting Amsterdam you have to go to Red. It will not disappoint. The service was excellent. They only have steak or lobster on the menu for main course so this mightn't suit everyone but the steak was the best I have ever had. Very reasonable price too.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is an unusual restaurant that takes its name from the only two main dishes that it serves - steak or lobster.
It is tricky to find as there are no name signs out side, so check their website first so that you know what the front door looks like. If you are visiting in the evening then you need to book. Several people were turned away on the Sunday evening we visited.
One option that is not on the web site or restaurant menu, but which the waitress tells you about, is to have the steak and half-lobster combo.
The food was simply excellent - perfect steak, tasty lobster, nicely dressed salad, great chips.