“Friendly service usually, marginal sushi”
Review of KOBE house

KOBE house
Reserve with
KOBE house is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,363 of 4,099 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Kobe House really pulled out the stops on my last visit. Maybe the great service was because I had a party of ten, because the service can be spotty. While Kobe House offers Japanese grilled foods, my friends and I have only experienced the sushi. It’s good, but not that great. The sushi portions are rather large, which sounds good… more bang for the euro… but the pieces are not as tasty as they could be.

Still, I enjoy Kobe House. Not the best sushi in town, but definitely reliable.

1  Thank Travelinpalladin

Reviewed July 18, 2013

There are a lot of options on the menu. We chose one meal with beef. Although it was pricey the meal did come with several dishes of food for close to 40 Euros. A plate of fried rice was close to 15 Euros. The food was fine but expensive.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

The live cooking areas have seating for 9 so as a group of 4 we sat at one end. We ordered 2 Menu Kyoto and 2 Menu Deshima. At this point I wish I had asked to keep a menu so that I could identify what each course was and what was coming next. We had 2 bottles of red merlot at Euros 19.50 a bottle and wanted tap water which they would not provide only selling bottled water. We thought nothing much of that and ordered it. The bottled water is 6 Euros a bottle which I think is very expensive.

The interesting display of food being cooked in front of you was good and the first chef entertaining. Then another party of 4 joined the other end of the cooking area. They were pleasant enough people but the problem came when the first chef moved to another cooking area and another chef came to ours. The 4 of us were sharing 2 menu Kyoto and 2 menu Deshima. We had received a few dishes. The new chef then cooked the steak in front of us and then divided it up between our party of 4 and 2 of their party! This followed egg fried rice being prepared for all 8 of us.

The restaurant is not cheap with these menus being Euros 37.50 each and euros 45 each. so 165 euros for the 4 of us.

We also had some sashimi and nigiri which was very nice, again expensive at a total cost for 4 of Euros 52.50.

What I suggest to anyone going and sharing a cooking area is keep a copy of the menu with you and check you get what you are paying for.

Shame really because the food was good but I felt they took advantage of our confusion about the menu. Our mistake we should have raised the issue at the time.

Also the wine and water is located away from the seating area which is fine while they are quiet because they keep topping you up but as soon as it gets busy you have empty glasses which I never like!

Hopefully if you are reading this and you go there you will learn from our mistake.

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We had a combination platter each of sushi and sashimi to start. Everything was super fresh.

Our teppanyaki chef was great fun and quite a showman. He even got our niece up to try flipping a whole raw egg (in its shell) up into his hat. Fortunately she couldnt flip it too high and it cracked on our stovetop.

The food was delicious and the amount of entertainment just right.

Can definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had Teppan Yaki, nice food and a funny show. Te service was very good: they pay a lot of attention. Wine choice was also good. Although it is not the cheapest place, it is nice to be here, because in tis in the centre