Hotel Utopia
Hotel Brian(Amsterdam)
  • Bar/Lounge
Tourist Inn(Amsterdam)
  • Free Internet
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Lovely welcoming lady, so helpful, giving us a sniff of everything. Utopia haze was beautiful n so sticky, num nums! coffee shop was a good size but never busy, music was upbeat n fun without being overwhelming. Nice feel about the place. Had a top floor twin room 4 about 20euro each. The stairs were epic- a cross between stairs, spiral staircase and a cliff face. I found myself literally climbing them- feet, both hands n possibly knees aswell, but I found it quite fun. They were obviously tricky so u take care n its fine, unlike the surprise danger stairs elsewhere, n they seemed solid. Room was tiny, massive window, tv n sinkn. Bed was stained but sheets were clean, graffiti said there was a mouse, but the hole in the wall had been filled in, I was most upset, I was looking forward 2 meeting rasta mouse's crew. Cheap n cheerful what ud expect from a hostel but good nice staff n location 5mins from dam square, 10mins from station. Can't wait 2 go back

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 7, 2011

and this is one of them! this is a pest infested flop house. the kind of place where you want to sleep fully clothed with the light on. i have heard people say "great location" but the Corner House is just down the street a few blocks and a world away in quality and it is about the same cost. do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank shecky_stardust
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The only good thing about this hostel is its location, but there are plenty of reasons why this accommodation is so cheap for Amsterdam. The whole place is dirty and dilapidated and infested with pests. I have come back covered in bed bug bites.

The facilities offered are not as advertised and there is no TV, WiFi or 'common room'. At least the shower worked but there were no basins with hot water.

There were three of us staying in a shared room with six beds and the people in the other bunks looked like murderers. At one point I walked into the room to find one acting suspiciously in the dark near someone else's bag while they slept.

All I can say is I am glad there was three of us and that we could put our valuables in the locker. It didn't look that secure but thankfully it held up!

If you decide to stay here despite the stark warnings take a good padlock and buy some bite cream.

Room Tip: Choose accommodation at a different establishment.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Ted L
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Did the job for a stag weekend, but only good thing about this place is the location being only 2 min walk to dam square. Everything else was terrible. We had 2 rooms between us. The 3 bed was a cardboard box with a very old bunk, a mattress and a window looking directly onto a wall. The bigger bunked out room did have a view and a shower that didn't work. Only 1 (very small) toilet in the building worked too ...and don't forget your own bog roll. Bunch of lads out drinking all day, it does it's job. Romantic getaway with the Mrs, it's not!

• Stayed: May 2011
7  Thank Ed2007
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Not long back from the Utopia. If you ever wondered what prison is like well I'm guessing prison is more safe and comfortable! This is like those Thai prisons you see on banged up abroad!!

OK, we booked last minute, didn't have much to choose from, paid £80 a night for a twin room. Read the reviews but decided to give it a go as I've often stayed somewhere with a few bad reviews and always thought 'it wasn't as bad as people made out' this time though I should've listened!

We checked in to be greeted by a big group of Italian chavs, arguing and fighting amongst themselves, not good 1st impression. Got the key to our room, where we came across a flight of stairs that well in the UK would no way be classed as legal to use by the public! Tiny steep spirally staircase that was just caked in filth and dirt and rat/mice droppings. One false move on those stairs especially if you're drunk or stoned and you are gonna be dead.

The room. Sorry that wasn't good either. 2 beds that had seen better days. The sheets were clean but no pillowcase, the pillow was minging all brown and stained. Whatever you do don't look at the mattress underneath the sheet you will puke!! We had a window that didn't open, the TV didn't work, cold running water no hot water at all. The mirror, you couldn't see your reflection it was that dirty! The radiator WORKED!! But even that failed on the last night. If you are tall like me you won't be able to stand up in the room as the roof is slanted downwards. This was clearly used to be a room that has been cut up into two to make more dosh.

It gets worse.... The toilet we shared with 3 other rooms on the top floor. It stunk of wee constantly and what was proper random was the ashtray in there full of joint ends! The toilet walls are covered in graffiti of previous guests, it was just a stinking mess there. In and out as quickly as possible!

The shower room was one of two shared by the whole hotel both downstairs. When you finally got to have a shower you would wish you hadn't it is basically a room with a hole as a drain. It also stank... this time of puke. The shower head is HUGE! Power shower though? No it managed to give off about 7 drips of water. My advice, take a strip wash (in the cold water!! nooooooooooooo!!)

You will be kept awake by the scuffling of mice/rats feet although we only saw one mouse on the staircase you can hear them when you are trying to sleep. The walls are paper thin too so if your lovely neighbours are on a late one expect to be up with them too!

So yeah, please don't stay here I've stayed in many hotels over the UK and abroad, alot of them have been dumps but not this bad, I've had to write a review my 1st ever as this without doubt will be the biggest mistake you make booking this hotel. Don't even rough it for one night, pay a little bit extra and be safe. Last moan, on the last night these lads followed us in to the hotel, next think you know when have screwdrivers to the locks of a hotel room :( we were so happy to check out.

Good Points.... Friendly Staff.....Nice location 2 mins Dam Square..... 10 mins Central Station....Last good point We Survived!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends