“Friendly service and very tasty food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Addis Ababa
Ranked #612 of 3,558 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Vondelpark
Amsterdam
“Friendly service and very tasty food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

A friend brought me to Addis Ababe on a Wednesday evening. The place was completely full so good thing we booked. The place does not look inviting on the outside nor is the interior very classy or modern. But the atmosphere is great and the staff is very welcoming and friendly. TV was on as there was an important football game on, which could be considered distracting to some. The guests are an interesting mix of locals, culturally aware lefties and some tourists/ expats. Starters you can skip, as the quality is mediocre and you need room for the main course! You order your own dish but all the dishes of the group are brought on one big plate. Luckily if you’re not a big fan of sharing your food the dishes are separate enough on the plate to keep to your own dish. With the dish you get pancakes to use to eat your dish. Luckily they still provide cutlery as it is really rather tricky eating with a pancake instead of a fork! The kitchen is very flexible and they can adjust the spiciness of the dishes for you. The spicy lamb I ordered was really tender and well flavoured. My friends selecton of small vegetarian dishes also looked and tasted great. We were not able to finish the food and enjoyed it until we were absolutely full. We did not go for a dessert, they did not look too appealing and a bit plain. Their main focus is really the main course. Definitely a recommendation.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Kingsburg, California
“Good food and great service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

This was our first experience with Ethiopian food, so we ordered the large platter of different foods- kind of like a sample platter. It was great. I also had the pumpkin soup, which was incredible. It seems as though this is a small, family owned and operated business. The service was great, and I am happy to say that the restaurant quickly filled up while we were dining, even though it was a bit early. Definitely check this place out.

“Great Tasting Food and Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

First time me and the family have eaten Ethiopian food, so didn't know what to expect. Staff were very friendly and happy to explain what was on the menu. A high chair was provided for our 10-month old.
All the food comes on one large dish on top of a pancake, with extra pancakes provided, and was all very tasty. We asked for the fish, but without the spices, for my 2-year old and she loved it, asking for more.
If I'm ever in Amsterdam again I would try to visit again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank falconlock
Knoxville, Tennessee
“The owner was quite the gentleman”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I went to this place after visiting another African restaurant right down the street from them. Being in town on business, I was alone - and the other African restaurant didn't want to sit me. I was shocked - and didn't understand. Since there were no other black folks seated there, I assumed that had something to do with it - maybe having someone black eating there was cramping their style - anyway, they wouldn't seat me - I felt embarrased and very uncomfortable - so I just left. I wound up going right down the street to Addis Ababa - and upon entering, I told the owner about my experience at the other African restaurant. He said "well, you don't have to worry about that here - c'mon in and have a seat". After sitting there for a couple of minutes, I realized I was still effected by the other experience - and I noticed that I was one person sitting at a table for four - and I knew that he only kept the restaurant open for a few hours a day - so I finally got up, thanked the owner for his hospitality - but went on my way and ate somewhere else.

I just want to go on record and say that as an African American, I wasn't expecting treatment like what I got in the first restaurant - I was totally caught off guard by it - especially in Amsterdam of all places - and I really appreciated the way this kind gentleman at Addis Ababa treated me - It turned an otherwise sour evening into one that I'll remember with fondness.

• Visited October 2013
Tollesbury, England, United Kingdom
“Superb, Truly Superb, and Wonderful Beer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Two People, Both (effectively) vegetarian, One Table.
One simple order: "Feed Us!"
This was translated into the Vegetarian Sampler (or something along those lines) which is a huge plate covered with Injura (buckwheat pancakes, gallettes, something along those lines) and very beautifully presented heaps of seven different vegetable dishes. and because there were two of us, there were two samples of each dish. OK, so one of them was not to my taste, but that's me! Fabulous (re)introduction to a different cuisine.

Oh, and the beer! Banana Beer, and Coconut Beer. [sorry, didn't try the Mango Beer!]
Just Try It! It is like Summer Holiday in a Glass!

Friendly people, nice place to visit for a meal.

• Visited May 2013